It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is your favorite Aleister Crowley book & why?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 08:24 PM
link   
I've read a few books and essays (and some books that are basically short essays in book form. If you check ebay, you can sometimes find 12 page hard cover books by Crowley printed by some obscure press) by Crowley, and my favorite would have to be The Heart of the Master. I found it to be, among other things, beautifully written and very inspired.

It's available to read on hermetic.com, though I keep a physical copy on my bookshelf.

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 08:36 PM
link   
My favorite Aleister Crowley book is The Book of Thoth since it is one of the best texts on the Tarot and it's qabalistic structure. For me, the Thoth Tarot was the best tool for learning qabalistic correspondences. (Gematria is also a hugely useful tool, though his Sepher Sephiroth is rather lacking compared to what I hope to soon publish online.)

The real goodies are to be found in Frater Achad, and even more in Kenneth Grant's Typhonian Trilogies which are immensely powerful in opening the wise aspirant up to very useful knowledge. If only more people read instead of had their minds and activities usurped and manipulated the world wouldnt be in half as bad a place it is.

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by therealnews
reply to post by Shadowflux

"I was accepted into the freemasons, which I never ended up joining, thank you god. "

How do you get accepted into Freemasonry without joining?

posted on Sep, 20 2012 @ 11:45 PM
link   
Aleister Crowley ? is he that gay looking pastry cook on TV?

posted on Sep, 21 2012 @ 12:06 AM
link   
There was a time when I read everything of Crowley's that I could get may hands on. Loved The Book of Lies, and The Book of Law, The Book of Thoth, 777 is amazing and I read Moonchild twice!

By far my favorite book of his is The Book of Magick, specifically chapters 13 and 15. Everthing you need to know is right there.

I have a bound volume of about 30 of his writings, in which I wrote "This book belongs to (my name) anyone who steals this book will die!" I didn't really feel it was a curse, because everyone dies.

But the book was stolen from my car, among other things. Some time later I got a call from the local PD. They had arrested a group of kids that were breaking into cars, and they had confiscated their stash. They wanted me to come down and reclaim my things. Everything was there but the Crowley book! I hope they enjoyed it in jail!

posted on Oct, 4 2012 @ 11:45 PM
link   

reply to post by thewheelturns

among my favorites are AHA!, for it's poetic beauty. Liber LI: Atlantis The Lost Continent & The Stratagem [and Other Stories] for their obscurum per obscurius, Book 4 for it's absolute clarity. The Simon Iff stories i really enjoy, for a number of reasons. Holy Books have some beautiful pieces in them. The Soldier and The Hunchback, ! and ?, is pretty good. Liber 333 (The Book of Lies (falsely called "BREAKS!") is quite interesting.

What i like about his writings are their depth. Even a one page, even one paragraph, prose of his can contain layers and layers of meaning. His works are like an onion. Some have more layers than others, even those that seem simplistic and meaningless (like The Stratagem and Other Stories). cheers!

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 12:21 AM
link   
reply to post by thewheelturns

Agree with all who sugget you stear clear of such.
Strange , but there's a stack of growing trouble-makers in nearly all Global countries at present. They are a growing number of so called NAZI's. They use such a title as 'Golden Dawn'. Cannot puzzle out - after stacks of research - why they prefer such a title. Found a so called range of others - they support the Name you Mention A. Crowley, one - after typing into search - reveal a picture of A.Crowley, dressesd in original 'Golden Hawk clothing. OK, their may be a difference, yet these call themselves ;
HERMETIC ORDER of GOLDEN DAWN . Claiming to be a group of Freemasons cum Magicians. Yet in one part of their detail, New World Order is mentioned.

What can we trust nowadays ????

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Which ever one he never got to write.

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join