It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is your favorite Aleister Crowley book & why?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shadowflux

Originally posted by frozenspark

That is essential what he was. I wouldn't say he was "cheap theatrical" Satanist.. he was very powerful and influential Satanist. A twisted, morally corrupt man, and anyone who disagrees is clearly delusional.

Well, you're just clearly misinformed as to the man, his practices and his beliefs. The problem with esoteric material is that if you don't "have ears to hear" then you're not getting the message.

No, I get the message. It's sickening and I do not choose to follow anything he taught. But that's just me.. you do what you want.

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 09:52 AM
link   
reply to post by frozenspark

Actually, you don't define your own True Will, it is defined by the cosmos, the unmanifest godhead, however, you do generally discover it on your own and decide to follow it on your own.

Crowley said that when one is really following their true will it is as if the Universe bends to help them.

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by frozenspark
No, I get the message. It's sickening and I do not choose to follow anything he taught. But that's just me.. you do what you want.

Actually, you don't get the message but if you don't want to follow anything he taught thats fine by me, just don't go around bad mouthing things you don't understand.

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by thewheelturns

You should be more interested in the King James Version of the Bible, for your sake.

I gather you're wanting knowledge (control words etc.) to get ahead in the world and gain power over others. With this comes more sacrifice than you probably know at your young age.

Crowley said that when one is really following their true will it is as if the Universe bends to help them.

Right! e.g Jeffrey Dahmer, Green River Killer, Charles Manson .....
The true will he speaks of is the animal within, the thing is we are supposed to be human.

[edit on 8-7-2010 by 1SawSomeThings]

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 10:13 AM
link   
It is clear that none of you know what you're talking about and, while I do literally have all day to sit here and explain it to you, I simply refuse.

I don't understand why everyone goes directly to a negative connotation when what Crowley is speaking of in regards to the will is not negative at all.

How about Ghandi, Buddha, MLK, they all followed their true will and were able to achieve amazing things becase " the universe seemed to bend to help them".

The true will is different from the instinct and desire driven conscious will.

All this evile "The Beast" "666" stuff was just to scare off the ignorant, pearls before swine as the Bible says.

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 10:21 AM
link   
It's definitely 777.

It's an amazing work.

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 10:23 AM
link   

All this evile "The Beast" "666" stuff was just to scare off the ignorant, pearls before swine as the Bible says.

It was also because he identified with the mountaineer, the tarot card 15...and probably to free those 2 lovers chained at the bottom.

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by crowdedskies
His book 777 is a very good reference book. However it is not something to read. Just something to refer to. I use it often.

The Book of Law is an odd one. I keep it for a specific reason.

Otherwise, I don't give Crowley that much importance. I must admit though that he had a very practical approach to magic and this is the one thing I like about him. For example , he would always urge people to try and resolve something through normal means first. This in itself is an application of magic. Why use rituals and magic without first trying to make something happen by conversation and action.

I agree the Book of Law is an odd one. When I first got into Crowley I had spoken to someone and he told me not to start with the Book of Law, but I did anyway. It's the only one ive actually read and Ive heard from sources that the end of the book and the warning it has in it, was added later to scare people from trying to study it.

[edit on 8-7-2010 by thewheelturns]

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Masonic Light

For entertainment only, his best is his autobiography, published as "The Confessions of Aleister Crowley".

For his more serious work, I'd say either Liber Aleph or the Book of Thoth.

Ah cool. I did hear about the confessions books, The book of Thoth sounds interesting to me, perhaps I will try that one next.

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by therealnews
Aleister Crowley was an evil, evil man. Even owning the book is a bad thing, I would suggest selling it. You are being deceived. I'll tell you what I know.

Aleister Crowley didn't just invent all of his teachings, they come from sources far before his time.

Alot of his teachings come from the The Book of the Sacred Magic of Abramelin the Mage. Authorship of the book is attributed to Rabbi Yaakov Moelin (Hebrew יעקב בן משה מולין; ca. 1365–1427), a German Jewish Talmudist. This identification has since been disputed. (1)

He also sacrificed children. "For the highest spiritual working one must choose that victim which contains the greatest and purest force; a male child of perfect innocence and high intelligence is the most satisfactory." (2)

They believed the spirit world was every bit as real as the world we inhabit. "Magical ceremonies work like computer programs repeating the names of spirits in particular orders, just like a computer language is actually a list of commands." Theses ancient rituals unlock the subconscious mind and open telepathic gateways to the spirit world, said Chris Everard." (historian/filmaker) (3)

Now, there is no proof anyone has contacted the spirit world, but I tell you this. It does EXIST, and the spirits your trying to contact will deceive you. Those teachings, books, ways of thinking, and thoughts bring bad energy. Bad spirits and bad energy will follow you. This goes beyond rational everyday thought. Your touching on subjects humans do not understand, and even the groups, societies, and aristocrats who actually practice these ceremonies are being fooled. You have to look toward the light, and cast Crowleys books, teachings, and ideas out of your thoughts and life. It is pure evil and if you chose that road, the light will abandon you, you will never see it.

1. www.themagickalreview.org...
2.Of the Bloody Sacrifice and Matters Cognate." Magick Book 4 Part III, Magick in Theory and Practice, Chapter 12. Samuel Weiser edition.
3. Alien Kabbalah 2, (Film) Release: Enigma T.V. April 4th, 2006 Quote: Chris Everard

I do not want to choose that road. But if what you say is indeed true then I want nothing to do with those books or studies.

Is using reverse speech, to reveal the secret agenda of the evil controllers, considered 'bad' or 'wrong?'. Even so, by using their own tool against them, to expose them to the world?. I mainly read the Book of the Law, to try to understand how evil works in hopes to change it. I've had this notion that I can change evil and that I am fighting an ancient war.

I know the ones who are in control are even fooling its highest members.

I've seen the light before, and I do not want it to abandon me.

The ritual or rituals you speak of are something I am against very much, and do not condone.

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 12:46 PM
link   

It is clear that none of you know what you're talking about and, while I do literally have all day to sit here and explain it to you, I simply refuse.

I don't understand why everyone goes directly to a negative connotation when what Crowley is speaking of in regards to the will is not negative at all.

How about Ghandi, Buddha, MLK, they all followed their true will and were able to achieve amazing things becase " the universe seemed to bend to help them".

The true will is different from the instinct and desire driven conscious will.

I was thinking something like this too, mainly because many of the songs I have heard that are inspired by Crowley seem to have a kind of positive nature to them, and are truth songs. I have heard before that things were added to the Book of the Law to scare people off from studying it. The warning never scared me anyway, as I had to believe it had the power to do me harm in the first place.

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 01:01 PM
link   

He also sacrificed children. "For the highest spiritual working one must choose that victim which contains the greatest and purest force; a male child of perfect innocence and high intelligence is the most satisfactory." (2)

Well, according to Robert Anton Wilson "a male child of perfect innocence and high intelligence" = semen. So Crowley probably didn't support child sacrificing but masturbation or sex as a ritual practice.

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gravdolent

Well, according to Robert Anton Wilson "a male child of perfect innocence and high intelligence" = semen. So Crowley probably didn't support child sacrificing but masturbation or sex as a ritual practice.

Indeed. Crowley's own footnote references the joke.

When one masturbates, he "sacrifices" a "male child", i.e., the opportunity for the semen to create a life is sacrificed for another purpose (in this instance, to perform sex magick).

Concerning "Do what thou wilt":

It was Crowley's view that souls incarnate for a specific purpose. This purpose is the "Will", or Thelema.

The meaning of life, therefore, is to discover the Will, and follow it out (since that's why we've incarnated here in the first place).

What Hitler may have thought was his true Will is irrelevant. The True Will, being divine in nature, does not lead one to kill innocent people, but is *always* in accordance with Divine Law.

The method to discovery the True Will, in Crowley's system, is the practice of Theurgy.

It is, to a certain extent, a shame that Crowley is so misunderstood by so many people. But on the other hand, he made it that way on purpose, for his own personally reasons.

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Fundamentally, Crowley's belief system is a mixture of Rennaisance and Medieval ceremonial magic, Qabalah (Hermetic, not Judaic), Tarot, Eastern mysticism and a healthy dose of contemporary psychology, often of the Freudian variety. Most of this he learned about from membership in other groups such as the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn.

Qabalah is fundamentally a monotheistic system of understanding the universe, the forces at work in it and one's place in the system. Of course, as with all magicians, Crowley sought an effective way of influencing and changing the universe to his desires.

Almost all Rennaisance magic is monotheistic and "white" and, more often than not, fairly Christian. It deals mostly with Hermeticism, angelology, Christian Cabala and stuff like that.

Dealing with dark forces, in this case refered to as Qliphotic or Goetic, may have it's place if one understands the importance of balance but would not, in itself, serve to any benefit for the practitioner.

When you really get down to it there is nothing evil, or even really dark, about any of this and it actually contains a fortune of knowledge that, when found by the right person, can grant enlightenment, peace, happiness (in my case at least) and a stronger understanding of the universe around us.

If it's for you then, by all means, persue it voraciously, if you find it isn't for you, then I'm sure you will find other avenues of enlightenment. Knowledge gained is never time wasted.

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Shadowflux

All I have done on this thread is state my opinion. I have owned multiple Crowley books, including the book of the law and the Equinox series. I've owned H.P Blavatsky books, all the Isis unveiled volumes. I've owned and finished the book of the sacred magic of Abramelin the mage. I've looked into many of the grimoires, the kabbalah, the talmud, Enochian magic and the rest. I was accepted into the freemasons, which I never ended up joining, thank you god. I know about some of the Rosicrucian order teachings. I've studied tons of other books on the spirit world as well, including the tibetan book of the dead and the infamous Goetia. Now, I say again, what you are playing with is FIRE. It takes you from the light. You may think you are being given guidance, powers, or even love, but I say again, the darkness will stay with you. The light will abandon you. The spirit world is real.

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 01:41 PM
link   

You obviously missed this part from The Book of Law

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law.
The study of this Book is forbidden.
It is wise to destroy this copy after the first reading.
Whosoever disregards this does so at his own risk and peril.
These are most dire.
Those who discuss the contents of this Book are to be shunned by all, as centres of pestilence.
All questions of the Law are to be decided only by appeal to my writings, each for himself.
There is no law beyond Do what thou wilt.
Love is the law, love under will.
The priest of the princes, Ankh-f-n-khonsu

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 01:46 PM
link   
I used to love Aleister Crowley. Free will and love for all. He wrote my signature.

He is noted for being a dark man. Didnt he poop on the floor when he met the dalai lama or something weird?

His writings about the goddess were really beautiful.

His life story is weird, him and the red woman.

Anyways, I think he was a genius. But really cerebral. I wouldnt call him holy though.

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by therealnews

Owning books and reading books are two very different things, as are reading books and understanding books. If you truly understood the books you claim to have owned you would understand that they are not evil nor are the intentions of those who put the theory into practice.

Most religions deal only with a lower level of manifestation whereas this system of thought deals with all levels of manifestation going all the way back to the unmanifest levels of the godhead. It's heavy stuff and it's not for everyone but it, in one way or another, ties into every other religion (excluding cults and the like)

I will, however, agree with you on it's potency. To use your analogy, fire is dangerous, destructive, unpredictable but it is also our first invention and is necesary to the existence and survival of the human race. Improper use of fire can kill you but in the hands of one with knowledge and experience it can create beautiful works of art by converting sand to glass or raw metal into statues.

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 03:29 PM
link   

reply to post by Shadowflux

All I have done on this thread is state my opinion. I have owned multiple Crowley books, including the book of the law and the Equinox series. I've owned H.P Blavatsky books, all the Isis unveiled volumes. I've owned and finished the book of the sacred magic of Abramelin the mage. I've looked into many of the grimoires, the kabbalah, the talmud, Enochian magic and the rest. I was accepted into the freemasons, which I never ended up joining, thank you god. I know about some of the Rosicrucian order teachings. I've studied tons of other books on the spirit world as well, including the tibetan book of the dead and the infamous Goetia. Now, I say again, what you are playing with is FIRE. It takes you from the light. You may think you are being given guidance, powers, or even love, but I say again, the darkness will stay with you. The light will abandon you. The spirit world is real.

I think it is up to people to decide what they want to do. To say that we are playing with fire is to presume that YOU know more than the rest. Sure some will get burned as the saying goes but you are in no position to know who is able and who is not able to take it.

Just like in the mundane world, to take on a evil person you need to cultivate an ability to face the dark side. The reason why evil dominates in the world is because the good guys are simply not capable of dealing with evil. To beat something you must first know it and my full praise to Crowley for having the courage to summon and dismiss (effectively control) some pretty evil dark entities.

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 04:18 PM
link   
I like the confessions and the book of thoth, which is his book on the tarot. Although those are the only 2 crowley books I have ever read all the way through, his other books I've just flipped through.

Edit: Oh and I've read "diary of a dope fiend" or whatever its called, not about magick or anything but still a kind of interesting book.

Oh and after reading through this thread its clear a lot of you know nothing of crowley. He was not a "satanist" or anything like that.

He did not sacrifice children or anything of the like. When he made those comments they were not meant to be takin literally.

Edit: I see ML and others have explained all this already.

[edit on 8-7-2010 by jeasahtheseer]

[edit on 8-7-2010 by jeasahtheseer]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join