It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

9-11 Still Disrupting Lives or Excuse For Control

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Thousands Live Behind Police Checkpoint

To get home each day, Chen has to present his ID at a police checkpoint. When the officer lowers the metal gate into the ground to let him in, he drives through as quickly as he can. More than once, the barricade has risen too soon, lifting his wife's minivan into the air.

Following the Sept. 11, 2001, terror attacks, the New York Police Department barricaded off its headquarters on Park Row. About 2,000 residents in two apartment complexes found themselves living inside a security zone.

Nine years later, they still are.

It has been nearly nine years since that fateful September day. Yet many Americans have not been allowed to "carry on" with their lives. We aren't talking about people that lost family members. We are talking about people that are guilty of nothing more than wanting to live their lives.

This is only one small example the article also states:

Washington, D.C., is littered with bollards. Nearly half of Los Angeles' financial district is now partially restricted, according to a study at the University of Colorado Denver. Roads across dams have been closed to traffic for security concerns.

Not only are people that happen to live in the wrong area being hassled, the elite institutions are blocking out the public. However what may be good for protecting heavily armed cops or corporate cronies is affecting the average man and woman.

Business owners say foot traffic has plummeted. Paul Lee says his family's 113-year-old general store folded in 2003 because of the new security measures.

"The suppliers don't want to come down anymore, and you have no more customers," Lee said.

So we have to protect the financial elite and greedy politicians, but if a few historic stores are closed it is okay. Who protects people like Paul Lee from financial disaster caused by draconian security measures?

If you read on it gets even more disturbing. Most of the blockades to keep the police secure from "truck bombs" would place any attempt literally at residential door steps. So it is fine to put residents of the neighborhood at danger. We just can't let the terrorist near the people paid to take such risks.

As I read the article I began to think about an article I read some years ago. It was a Salon.com piece about how the new post 9-11 security measures were changing not only cities, but the people in them.

One part in particular caught my eye as I re-read the article.

But others fear that security measures may be inhibiting urban connections. Setting buildings far back from the street, placing them atop concrete blast shields, crowding sidewalks with barricades, constantly screening people as they enter or exit buildings, electronically surveilling them at every waking moment -- these measures push us apart and foster our fears and suspicions. The effect is physical as well as psychic. Goldberger points out that you used to be able to walk around Manhattan, both on the sidewalks and through the lobbies of large buildings, without showing any credentials. Today that's nearly impossible because entering nearly every building requires passing through a security checkpoint. The checkpoint culture weighs on the soul, reminding us at every point that we live in a dangerous time, and that anyone we see might seek to do us harm.

Then I read about the fact that some of the "security measures" are actually completely useless.

Jersey barriers have no natural business on city sidewalks. That's not just because they're ugly -- they also do nothing to halt attacks. The barriers, which were designed as lane separators by New Jersey's state Highway Authority in 1955, are intended to be placed on roads parallel to the direction in which cars are traveling. A vehicle that nudges too close to the barrier will ride up its tapered edge and slide back onto the road, suffering minimal damage. But placed the opposite way -- in front of a building to protect against oncoming attack -- a Jersey barrier is no match for a fast car or truck. In crash tests, speeding vehicles that hit the barriers at obtuse angles simply knock them over or vault over them straight at the target.

So, if there is no security value what is the point? Why do we keep these things in place on streets across not only NY, but the nation? Have we as Americans given in to fear, or have our handlers made us mental and physical prisoners? There is no need for spending money on FEMA camps when you can coral and control the masses on the city streets. If they are moving how you want, where you want, and thinking the way you want, you don't need to spend the money. You can actually use them to continue turning a profit for you.

As always thoughts, comments, and snide remarks welcome.

(I didn't post this on the 9-11 board because I believe it is bigger than 9-11. I don't want this to be an argument over who was behind it or any of those things. It was just my attempt to show how the police state can creep in and how hard it is to push it back out.)

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by MikeNice81

Intresting thread, though I believe it should be in the 911 forum.

2nd line.

new topics

join