It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

World of Warcraft developer requires first & last names displayed in posts for forum use

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by toolstarr
Why don't all the people playing this game..or. wasting their life just not post on the official forums. Revolt against the system.

The forums are a vital part of the game. The forums are a main source of feedback regarding beta testing, bugs, technical support, or game discussion.

The reaction from the community certainly shows people will stop posting. This defeats the purpose of a forum to begin with, really.

Originally posted by toolstarrBut seriously- anyone who spends 3-4 or more hours almost everyday playing this game or any other( my husband plays FF11 online) is wasting so much of their REAL life...

The same could be said about people who post on ATS, or... people who collect train sets, star wars action figures, bar hop, or sit in front of the television every day.

A game is nothing more than another hobby.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Carch70

lol, you sound like my hubby. the way I see it is, Yes it is a hobby, but one that eats away at your real life, it's really more like an addiction. I suppose one could call heroin a hobby
Making a whole virtual world and character, (Maybe WOW isn't quite the same as FF11, but i feel they are similar) and spending hours upon hours waiting for other people to make parties to go kill this monster.. its just sad. I mean, there are REAL things to go do, REAL adventures to go on, REAL people to meet... REAL food to make, REAL houses to decorate and REAL families that miss you.

But maybe that's why many spent all their available time on it.. to get away from the REAL world.
Anyway, I would hope people use the WOW hobby in moderation.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 03:26 PM
link   
I'm so glad I don't play this game. Super Smash Bros Brawl is my game of choice. Ya the online isn't all that great but nothing is better than sending Mario flying with my Falchion!

Oh btw. this is a stupid idea, hope they reconsider.

(edit to add to discussion!)

[edit on 7/7/2010 by The Endtime Warrior]

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Call me paranoid but it makes you wonder if World of Warcraft is being used to desensitize people to an orwellian big brother police state, a while back they modified their armory website (which displays every detail about every character) to basically show everything that the person gets up to whilst playing.

They also have some specialized tool just for logging in to the game, I wouldn't be surprised if you need finger print and eye scanner soon and a webcam whilst playing for good measure.

The thing is this game is so addictive I expect most players (millions) would happily give up their personal biometric data in order to continue playing it.

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 09:24 AM
link   
There is a reason I like to post using my "online persona". I am business professional during the day and a casual gamer at night. These two worlds of mine do not mix. I do not want people I talk to in any online forum to be able to discover who I am in real life. This is not because I flame or troll, but because there are too many people out there that take things out of context and take offense when saying perfectly reasonable things merely because they are intolerant of opinions contrary to their own. And this is not just about Blizzard, we have these problems at ATS/BTS as well.

There is a subset of people out there that feel justified in acting like jerks and harassing people because they believe they can not be caught because they are anonymous.

There are also people out there, like myself, who post under a pseudonym because of the stigma of "being a gamer" or "someone who reads about conspiracy theories" while also trying to be taken seriously as a business professional.
I do not want my business associates to know I have spent countless hours playing WoW or StarCraft or any other game or that I regularly read ATS/BTS articles/posts.

Using a pseudonym allows me to interact with the gaming/conspiracy community in a meaningful manner while leaving my professional identity unblemished with these "frivolous/crazy pursuits".

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Can someone PM me and let me know why this isn't on AboveTS?

I've played a few trials of WOW and a few friends are hooked on it.

Think about it. Disgruntled players can find out who you are in LESS THAN A MINUTE (e.g. Facebook).

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by rexusdiablos

Now if you grief them in game they can grief you in real life! Ugh.

What will they think of next?

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join