It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tea Party = Republican party?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 08:54 AM
link   
voices.washingtonpost.com...

The scads of media coverage about the burgeoning "tea party" effort has focused heavily on the idea that those who identify themselves as part of the movement are political free agents -- dismissive of both parties and Washington in general.

New data out of Gallup suggests that premise isn't right, as nearly seven in 10 tea party supporters describe themselves as "conservative Republicans."

All told, nearly 80 percent of tea party supporters describe themselves as Republicans, while 15 percent say they are Democrats and just six percent are, in their own minds, "pure independents."

This confirms what I already expected. In fact I always thought the neocons had either started or coopted the TPM from it's early inception.

www.gallup.com...

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 09:21 AM
link   
No.

There are people from all political parties that are sick and tired of big government that are members of the "tea party".

Libs/dems know they are going down in November after their brief reign of fiscal and constitutional terror, and as a result sounding more shrill and desperate every day.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 09:24 AM
link   
BTW, your quote in the OP shows the title of your thread to be false.

There may be a majority of Republicans as members of the "tea party", but it does also include dems and independents.

That there actually are dems as members is the thing that should scare the liberal establishment the most.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Yes, and no. In my state their are four tea party organizations. One is backed by Americans for Prosperity, a lobbying group led by Dick Army. The other three are opposed to this group, and they consider it a betrayal due to its connections with the republican party. Each state differs. The majority of tea party members are sympathetic to, and maybe active Republicans. I feel that many gritted their teeth during the Bush era knowing the fiscal irresponsibility, and the aggression was counter to real conservatism. Now they see the continuation of the fiscal irresponsibility, and the government attack on personal liberty as the last straw. Don't get me wrong the old partisan attitude of "my team vs. their team" has a role in it for some. Still, most I have seen may have voted republican, but have never been active in any other form. They see their country changing, their taxation increasing, and the disconnection between our ruling class and the people. Tea Parties are the best chance yet to challenge the growing NWO police state, rule by bankers for bankers, and taxation without representation. Don't throw the baby out with the bath water. Each tea party differs, and I can tell you that it is a good step. The more people realize that the right-left spectrum is cover for one class of rulers the better.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Depends on WHICH Tea Party you are referring to. If you are referring to the Sarah Palin, oft villified by the MSM "Tea Party", then I suspect the poll is accurate. Sadly, the Republicans immediately set out to co-opt the movement for their own political benefit. As a result, it splintered off into it's own movement that has hijacked the name with the help of the MSM.

Now the REAL Tea Party movement is comprised of middle of the road libertarians, independents and those who slightly identify with either the Repubs or Dems and are completely fed up with BOTH political parties.

It became necessary for the MSM to co-opt and render ineffective the REAL Tea Party movement as it it was dangerous to the status quo.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by kozmo
Depends on WHICH Tea Party you are referring to. If you are referring to the Sarah Palin, oft villified by the MSM "Tea Party", then I suspect the poll is accurate. Sadly, the Republicans immediately set out to co-opt the movement for their own political benefit. As a result, it splintered off into it's own movement that has hijacked the name with the help of the MSM.

Now the REAL Tea Party movement is comprised of middle of the road libertarians, independents and those who slightly identify with either the Repubs or Dems and are completely fed up with BOTH political parties.

It became necessary for the MSM to co-opt and render ineffective the REAL Tea Party movement as it it was dangerous to the status quo.

Couldnt agree more. The evidence has been clear from the start since the same people in the media are saying dont trust the government have been pushing Sarah Palin on us since the beginning (Beck, Rush, etc.) Unfortunately, alot of people that finally liked the idea that the government is full of crap people and actually want to do something about it are getting sidetracked by this and going, it seems, back to the old party lines but still calling themselves tea-partiers.

To bad really. It was such a great idea at the beginning of it all. We the people are fed up with the people we, for some reason, keep electing (isnt that the definition of insanity?). I really hope we vote in some people in November that will make a real change and throw out the old nonsense that is so prevalent in DC. But, if they tend to be wolves in sheeps clothing then we are screwed, again.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by dizzie56

The TPM is a good idea, as are all alternative parties. Give the people a choice.

But for any party to be successful there needs to be a cohesive platform other than "we hate TPTB"

There needs to be a charismatic frontman/woman, strategy/platform of promotion, organization and last but not least, money.

It's fun to attend a rally of likeminded folks and wave signs around but without at least a plan of action politically; you ain't got jack!
Eventually the law of homeostasis sets in and you are back to the same old 2 party system, that apparently this poll illustrated.

[edit on 7-7-2010 by whaaa]

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by kozmo

I agree...but they are just a small fraction of what it has become. They are the minority of the group. It's pretty much owned lock, stock, and barrel by the GOP.

Look no further than Freedom Works and Fox News.....

[edit on 7-7-2010 by David9176]

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

Here's the deal. Conservative republicans are leaving the republican party leaning towards candidates that are far removed from guys like McCain and Romney, who are basically big government moderates. The trend is away from big government republicans. Most of the folks who lean this way, like myself, are disgusted with the "mainstream" republicans, and seek candidates that beleive in the constitution as written. Most of these candidates come from the republican party, as there are no constitutional conservatives on the democrat side of the aisle. We are disgusted with republicans, but our type of candidate normally is from the conservative side of that party. We intend to replace weak republicans with conservatives, but ultimately, we may develop into a third party, that would caucus with republicans, as the lesser of two evils. I'm registered as a republican, but if the third party candidate is more conservative, he gets my vote. We typically don't allow active republican politicians to participate in tea party events unless they are real conservatives. We resist any attempt at either party co-opting the movement. That won't happen. We basically want the federal government to stick to the 17 enumerated powers, and get out of healthcare, welfare, regulation, redistribution, and any involvement in our lives. Just form an army, close the border, quit stealing our money and giving it to muslims, and keep your hands off the internet. The constitution calls for a limited federal government, with the bulk of power residing in the individual states.

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
reply to post by dizzie56

The TPM is a good idea, as are all alternative parties. Give the people a choice.

But for any party to be successful there needs to be a cohesive platform other than "we hate TPTB"

There needs to be a charismatic frontman/woman, strategy/platform of promotion, organization and last but not least, money.

It's fun to attend a rally of likeminded folks and wave signs around but without at least a plan of action politically; you ain't got jack!
Eventually the law of homeostasis sets in and you are back to the same old 2 party system, that apparently this poll illustrated.

[edit on 7-7-2010 by whaaa]

Yes, I agree, but that frontman with charisma could at least stick to the same principles and reasons the people actually elected said person. Every person in politics now a days has charisma, a winning smile, and are full of bs. That is the last part that really needs to change. The other two just help you get elected, the last is the part that gets us fed up with you.

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 03:10 PM
link   
I never believe the polls. A simple play on words can change the whole dynamic of questioning. But for the sake of argument, I will roll with it.

I believe that the TPM began as an independant political movement, by mostly republicans, but it has been hijacked by the republican party because of the power the movement has achieved. Now you have "grass roots" groups, like Dick Army's, taking the movement into a full circle back to the "Republican conservatives".

What began as a true American attempt to create the long-awaited third party has now just became an arm of the Republican party. Yes there are Democrats and independants thrown in the mix but we all know it is now a Republican-owned movement.

When will we begin the movement to the real third party?

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Tea-Party = anyone who does not share this administrations goal and agendas.

Line 2

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 03:56 PM
link   
As stated earlier in the thread the republican party has worked feverishly to pull the TPM into there circle of wagons..

Do not be fooled the TRUE TPM will not be voting down any party line..they will vote by the records of the politician in question.

something else to look into for those of you who agree with the majority of the TPM 's philosophies minus foriegn policy would be the

campaign for liberty.

~meathead

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Uh, the Republican Party isn't composed of Conservative Republicans anymore. Thus, Gallup's attempt at continuing to tie the two together = FAIL. If you ask a conservative what they are and offer them a list such as Gallup did, telling them "these are your only choices" what do you expect?
www.gallup.com...
They also based this entire statement on question 35: "Do you support the Tea Party Movement?"
Then they went back and took the answer from the question: What political ideology to associate yourself with?
a. Liberal/Democrat
b. Moderate/Democrat
c. Conservative/Democrat
d. Pure independent
e. moderate/liberal Republican
f. Conservative Republican

Well, moderate/liberal Republicans are neo-cons (who took over the GOP, by the way), so 17% of the Tea Party movement is neo-con. Allow me to repeat that for dramatic emphasis... 17% of the Tea Party Members are associated with the modern Republican Party. If 17% is a majority, I'll eat the majority of a horse.

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 04:12 PM
link   
I don't know that I'd say tea party = republican, but from what I've seen, and I've been saying this for a very long time now, a lot of the "tea partiers" are disenfranchised, displaced republicans, in particular neocons ,who are now "libertarians" because they have a few years to kill between presidential elections.

Neocons are notorious for hijacking parties...it's their MO. I'd bet a lot that if or when a republican takes the White House again, they'll forget all about their little tea party and it will be business as usual.

[edit on 7/8/2010 by ~Lucidity]

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 09:10 AM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

Anyone that sells the neocons short and discounts the PNAC is a fool living in political fantasy land. Nothing is as it appears on the surface. They have money, organization and supporters that are masters of playing the game of illusion all the while looking forward to the future of the fourth Reich.

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

What you and so many others fail to realize is that it does not matter who funds it. People are still joining on their own will.

In this way, who cares who funds it? If the movement was not doing what the people wanted, then it would not have members.

Same thing for the Iranians green movement and many other movements.

Funding can be billions, trillions, or thousands. It does not affect how many people join it. The two are unconnected, as people join on their own free will.

Also you don't have to hate our leaders. Just desire to change them.

I don't plant to fight the government. I plan to be part of TPTB. I plan to change them, not kill them.

Enoy your revolution. I prefer peace.

[edit on 9-7-2010 by Gorman91]

top topics

join