It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Signs of Alien Technology and Civilisation - Thoughts?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 05:32 AM
link   
A paragraph in a recent article got me thinking. And for me to think is a dangerous thing- it makes my head hurt.

We have been inadvertently betraying our presence for 60 years with our television, radio and radar transmissions. The earliest episodes of I Love Lucy have washed over 6000 or so star systems, and are reaching new audiences at the rate of one solar system a day. If there are sentient beings out there, the signals will reach them.

Link

SETI has been searching for signs of alien life for decades - to our knowledge, nothing has been found.

My question to all you boffins out there is this: Using our 60 years of "broadcasting" to the universe as a sort of benchmark of technological development, surely we would have picked up some signs of an alien civilization and their soap operas? Maybe "I love Lucy's 3 Heads"?

Assuming an infinite amount of stars with an equally infinite possibility for life to develop elsewhere in an infinite number of ways, why is the universe so silent?

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 05:50 AM
link   
I often wonder the same thing. There is no right answer. Perhaps it is the shear size of the universe. Its pretty big, lol.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 05:50 AM
link   
reply to post by deltaalphanovember

It would be a very very very easy thing to detect for us if they were sending their signals using the exact same type of technology.

Fact is they probably use something different. There is a possibility of the same type of radio signals being used, but there is also a chance that they use something completely different. We wouldn't understand it if we were listening to it all day and night.

We do not know what the advanced beings are or how they have developed on their home planets. They may be carbon based, they may not be. They may live under ground, they may live under water. They may live in extreme temperate conditions.

All of this would persuade the type of technology they use - if they are advanced to that level.

Maybe what we think of as aliens aren't even from this Universe. Maybe we are the only living planet in this Universe and the size of it is to keep us from knowing this for sure.

Maybe there are infinite Univeres in a Multi-Verse, each one of them have one planet with life on it and that is it. We would be waiting for a while for them to get the broadcastsand be waiting a while to get theirs. At least until we can figure out how to go between these Universes

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 05:55 AM
link   
reply to post by esteay812

Fair enough, I have thought the same thing. But basically, you are saying that if we cannot detect their signals due to a complete mismatch in tenchnology ie. they are using smoke signals and we are using drums - then it must also be assumed that they are not detecting us either.

My head is hurting.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 06:07 AM
link   

Yes, it is basically what I am saying, assuming they are advanced and out there. It is also possible that we cannot detect what they are sending for whatever reason and they have detected us and have not chosen to contact us.

It is also possible that we have indeed detected them, they have detected us and the leaders of both species are doing the Hula as we speak.

Afterall, why would they tell us when they can easily trade their secrets of technology with each other to further control each respective planet and race?

Complete control over the minions and they are too busy with politics, wars, recession and so on to realize.

Not saying this is what I believe, just saying it is a possibility.

Check your mailbox, I sent you a Goody's powder.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 06:26 AM
link   
Humm, interesting thought. However, it could be that they are simply not fans of I Love Lucy and have decided to boycot us.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 06:28 AM
link   
It's my contention that their not trying to make any "contact" with us. The few times (and you can assume out of perhaps millions) we see them is simply a breakdown in their cloaking device. This could be due to elements found only in our atmosphere.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 06:45 AM
link   
reply to post by mazeofSiriusC

To me, it is not a matter of "making contact" ... more a matter of pollution.

99.9% of our radio/tv signals that we broadcast to outer space is waste: pollution.

The point that I am tryinng to make, is that any other civilisation that is in a similiar technological phase as us humans can be assumed to have a similiar degree of "pollution".
The ability to cloak themselves is a sign of an advanced civilisation - and not subject to this thread (unless they have developed FTL drives/wormhole tech and actually arrived here on earth before their pollution does).

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 06:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheLoneArcher
Humm, interesting thought. However, it could be that they are simply not fans of I Love Lucy and have decided to boycot us.

Can't really blame them ...

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 07:09 AM
link   
In as large of a universe which we live in, it is impossible to say that a different planetary species "must" be giving of the same amount of 'noise' which earth does.

Perhaps they use a different way of sending data than us? Perhaps they transmit on frequencies which we can't detect?

Perhaps we have heard some of their transmissions before and dismissed/mistaken it as something else?

NASA Balloon Mission Tunes in to a Cosmic Radio Mystery

Cosmic Radio Noise Booms Six Times Louder Than Expected

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 07:11 AM
link   

Do you watch American television? If I were an Alien Race and picked that crap up beaming from a world, I wouldn't visit there, and I most certainly would not let them see me! Remember all those Alien Invasion moves? What always happens to the Aliens?

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 07:32 AM
link   
reply to post by GobbledokTChipeater

Awesome link, thank you!

Dale Fixsen of the University of Maryland at College Park, added that to get the signal they detected, radio galaxies would have to be packed "into the universe like sardines," he said. "There wouldn't be any space left between one galaxy and the next."

This mystery has given rise to a new thought:
maybe there is SO MUCH noise out there from all the alien civilisations that it has all blended into one huge, indecipherable mess. Almost like white noise ... cancelling out everything else.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 07:43 AM
link   
My idea is this:

Maybe alien lifeforms are like our animals? Do you see dolphins or whales sending rockets in to space, or polluting their habitat? Dolphins have language and have been shown to be able to use tools, the two things that apparently seperate us from animals but they seem to have the intelligence to live in harmony with their habitat. Our stupid ways are deemed to be intelligent but to me, an animal that can use and live in its home world rather than destroying it seems more intelligent to me.

So I propose that lots of alien lifeforms perhaps do not have the ability to leave their home world and maybe have no desire or need to. 99.9% of life on this planet doesn't need technology to survive, what makes you think aliens would? Surely if they were superior beings they would realise that they don't need money, tv, pollution, technology...all the things that we think make us great.

This happens to solve the apparent paradox of Drakes law. It makes a lot of sense to me but perhaps most of us are too homocentric (is that even a word) to contemplate this idea.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 08:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by deltaalphanovember

Awesome link, thank you!

maybe there is SO MUCH noise out there from all the alien civilisations that it has all blended into one huge, indecipherable mess. Almost like white noise ... cancelling out everything else.

You're welcome
I would tend to think more along those lines myself. The Signal-to-Noise ratio of the universe is very low lol.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 08:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Frakkerface

I am willing to accept that side of the argument ... except that we have an infinite universe. If we have developed the technology to enter space, broadcast to space, then we must reasonably assume that in an infinite universe many other civilizations have done the same.

For those in dark, like me, here is an explanation of Drake's Law.

Drake's Equation

The Drake equation (sometimes called the Green Bank equation or the Green Bank Formula) is an equation used to estimate the potential number of extraterrestrial civilizations in the Milky Way galaxy. It is used in the fields of exobiology and the search for extraterrestrial intelligence (SETI). The equation was devised by Frank Drake in 1961.

Link

I guess I should have started this thread with an Assumption:
Assume that x number of the UFO's we see in the sky are an actual alien spacefaring civilization. Why have we not detected signs from their planets w.r.t electronic noise.

The Drake equation is closely related to the Fermi paradox in that Drake suggested that a large number of extraterrestrial civilizations would form, but that the lack of evidence of such civilizations (the Fermi paradox) suggests that technological civilizations tend to disappear rather quickly. This theory often stimulates an interest in identifying and publicizing ways in which humanity could destroy itself, and then counters with hopes of avoiding such destruction and eventually becoming a space-faring species. A similar argument is The Great Filter,[2] which notes that since there are no observed extraterrestrial civilizations, despite the vast number of stars, then some step in the process must be acting as a filter to reduce the final value. According to this view, either it is very hard for intelligent life to arise, or the lifetime of such civilizations must be relatively short.

The Fermi Paradox

The Fermi Paradox is the apparent contradiction between the high probability extraterrestrial civilizations' existence and the lack of contact with such civilizations

Link

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Well I do happen to believe that the universe is infinite but infinite doesn't always mean every possibility has to happen....(people tell me I'm wrong about this but i disagree). For example the universe could be infinite but we could still be the only life out there. All possibilities can happen in an infinite universe but that doesn't mean that they all have to.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 09:24 AM
link   

The underground elite establishment will protect their existing

treaties and secret technologies and knowledge at all cost on this

Earth with extraterrestrials. This is their edge and controlling factor

and if the elite have been given specific knowledge of future events

by extraterrestrials the elite can manipulate the stock markets of the

world and control technologies. I say follow the billionaires of this

Earth and watch what they do and from what sources they gather

their information. Not everything on this Earth is attributed to alien

technology and information I realize that but if you had the goose

that laid the Golden eggs you would protect it at all costs this is

human nature.

I believe the technologies especially when it comes to electronics,

communications, anti-gravity and weaponry have been leaked out by

the elite with knowledge obtained from the aliens and incorporated

into the public sector for profit in order to make life easier for humans

but for profit is number one on the list.

As far as the military I believe weaponry technologies have been

given to the elite including the use of Lasers. Anti-gravity that is a

give whether given to the elite or back engineered. Secrets that we

will never know about and will be protected at all costs. Remember

the banks of the world get richer when their are continual wars on

this Earth. This figure is in the trillions of dollars as the elite who have

the knowledge smoke their cigars in the back rooms and men and

women die on the battle fields and civilians that are in harms way.

Will the discovery of live interacting extraterrestrials on Earth and in

our galaxy ever be revealed? I say yes in drips and drabs. ^Y^

[edit on 7-7-2010 by amari]

new topics

top topics

join