It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

IRELAND - How I would solve the current crisis

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 02:53 AM
link   
Hi all,

Every day I am becoming more and more distressed listening to the stories coming out of Ireland. Ordinary decent folk being squeezed and squeezed. Public Sector and Private Sector being pitted against each other. Those in power and those with power getting away with murder and mis-deed.

So, I have had enough and decided to formulate a plan to get my home country out of the mess it has found itself in recently. I have a number of initial steps but would appreciate the help of ATS to complete the plan.

1. Make Bertie Ahern President when the position becomes available.

2. Set him up in the Martello Tower on Ireland's Eye along with the Tricolour, a satellite phone, a large chequebook and some passport office supplies. Depending on how well he does in the job outlined in the next few points we can air-drop essential supplies to him (i.e. ham samidges, copies of the indo, Manchester Utd. strips)

3. The condition for him getting the presidency is that he takes on the entire Irish National debt. We shift all national responisbilities over to the island which is now officially the Rebublic of Ireland. We send letters to the IMF, EU and UN informing them of the change of address.

4. The rest of the country outside of this island and specifically it's people declare themselves soverign and free men and women of >Insert new country name< - Not sure about this one. Suggestions please. P.R.E.? United Provinces of Eire?

5. P.R.E. reverts to the punt.

6. Any politician looking for wages and pensions will be given a free boat ride out to Bertie and his chequebook. Good luck cashing it.

7. All public sector workers will be paid in punts.

8. Punt to be linked to foreign investment and currency coming into the country. Preferably not the petrodollar or euro.

9. The Irish abroad can renew their passports with Bertie or apply to the new Irish passport offices to join that new country.

Right, where would we go from here? That is the plan so far.....

Anyone not think I am mad? Intelligent suggestions and debate please. If you are clever enough you can see past the tongue-in-cheek remarks and grasp what I am getting at.

No violent, silly, impossible or treasonous suggestions please.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 03:43 AM
link   

Anything that b*ggers up the elites plan to fleece us all of what little wealth we have sounds good to me

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by thoughtsfull

Anything that b*ggers up the elites plan to fleece us all of what little wealth we have sounds good to me

Well that would be an added bonus. I was more thinking along the lines of rebooting the human race to freedom!

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by howmuchisthedoggy

Ah sure, its grand!!!!

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 05:37 AM
link   

Your plan could hardly do more damage to Ireland and it sounds like you care about the country which is more than I see those currently in power do.

Bertie Ahern is just one of the people that have taken Ireland to its current state, there are many more and if you remove Bertie Ahern, who are you thinking would take over the running of the country?

And currently, no Euro country has actually defaulted on its debts. What do you will happen if Ireland does? Who will trade and provide finance to the new country?

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 08:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Freedom ERP

who are you thinking would take over the running of the country?

I would like to see the country broken down into county or province level and for the more local representatives to be elected to run these areas. Same as say New York or Singapore where a similar size population can be run effectively by a much smaller and cheaper administration.

And currently, no Euro country has actually defaulted on its debts. What do you will happen if Ireland does? Who will trade and provide finance to the new country?

Well technically no-one would be defaulting on their debts. They would still be there, just centered on one person. Reinstating the punt and then getting it accepted would be a challenge. I imagine a lot of smaller countries that have been screwed over in the past would be friendly towards it and maybe even our neighbours to the East would relish the opportunity to stick one to the US/Europe?

I never said I had all the answers, just wanted to open debate on what might happen and what could be done. Thanks for getting the ball rolling on that!

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 04:19 PM
link   

I would like to see the country broken down into county or province level and for the more local representatives to be elected to run these areas. Same as say New York or Singapore where a similar size population can be run effectively by a much smaller and cheaper administration.

One very big problem with this. Dublin will have all the power and most of the money, so this would consign most of the countryside to economic wasteland.

And by what legal basis would you assign all the debts to Bernie Ahern?

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Freedom ERP
Dublin will have all the power and most of the money, so this would consign most of the countryside to economic wasteland.

What money? Quite significant amounts of industry are spread around the country. The Dubs may have a surplus but they still have to eat, right? Where is the food coming from?

And by what legal basis would you assign all the debts to Bernie Ahern?

Debts are assigned to the country represented by the island. I just put Bertie there for the fun of it.

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 05:47 PM
link   
I hear that there will be some Alien Extraterrestrials announcing themselves over the weekend somewhere - maybe suggest that they buy out Ireland as a Galagtic Holiday Home and pay off your national debt....

Maybe if they pay in pound sterling that might be good for you...

Regards

PurpleDOG UK

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 02:32 AM
link   
reply to post by PurpleDog UK

Wouldn't be the first alien invaders we've had in Ireland

A link with Sterling would be nice, it would also ingratiate us with the Muslim world as by that stage the UK will be under Sharia law.

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 04:36 AM
link   
Good call.... that did make me laugh ...
Perhaps investing in a pair of breeding camels might be a 'smart' investment for the future ?!

Cheers
PurpleDOG UK

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 05:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by PurpleDog UK
Good call.... that did make me laugh ...
Perhaps investing in a pair of breeding camels might be a 'smart' investment for the future ?!

Considering the success with horsebreeding and the Arabian connections in Kildare I think you might be on to somthing there!!

I thought the only camels people were interested in came in boxes of ten or twenty but it could solve the energy crisis unless it gave people the hump....

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Hey I dont think you are far off a good plan

I was reading this earlier: 'Eurozone break-up would boost Ireland's economy'

"The break-up of the euro area would save the 16-nation region from years of economic stagnation by boosting weaker members' competitiveness, as well as domestic demand in Germany, to spark growth, leading economics consultancy Capital Economics said.

"The threatened break-up of the eurozone, which many see as a potential disaster, would actually open the door to renewed economic growth, not just for weaker members of the zone, but for Europe as a whole," the economists said in a report released at the weekend. "

Read the full story here:
www.independent.ie... n/eurozone-breakup-would-boost-irelands-economy-2254811.html

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 05:31 PM
link   
I visited Southern Ireland twice a few years back. They were two great holidays and the Irish were hospitable hosts.

I recall practically every major road had signs "built through support of the European Community" etc...

On reflection, you can see that a poor rural country went rich overnight on the back of no real changes apart from an inflow of investment and borrowing. It was only a matter of time before the house of cards fell.

I would solve the current crisis by just spending within Ireland's means. That and getting the EU to fund a few more roads and swimming pools.

Regards

new topics

top topics

join