It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'UFO' in skies over Urumqi suspected to be American guided missile

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 01:41 AM
link   

According to People's Daily Online, the US launched "Militia" III intercontinental ballistic missiles from Vandenberg Air Force Base in California and the missiles hit the target precisely 7,000 kilometers away.

photo within link english.people.com.cn...

So next time you see an Unidentified Flying Object keep in mind it simply might be a intercontinental ballistic missile.

Second Link

www.global-military.com...

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 02:33 AM
link   
reply to post by tristar

Interesting story but I'm confused by the details!

It looks like Urumqi is in NW China.

The missile target was apparently near the Marshall Islands off the coast of SE China.

So how is this report coming from NW China instead of SE China?

See the maps:
Urumqi
Marshall Islands

The missile wasn't flying over China's airspace, was it? But it almost seems like it would have to in order to be visible from Urumqi?

What am I missing or misunderstanding? Any clarification is appreciated!

Interesting photo by the way.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 02:48 AM
link   
reply to post by tristar

BTW, I'm pretty sure they mean Minuteman III ICBM, as there is no such thing as a Miltia ICBM. I should know.... I live amonst them LOL

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 02:59 AM
link   
From the photo, it does look like a ballistic missile but I too am confused how this can be seen all the way in western China and not anywhere closer to the supposed target. I'm interested to hear the explanation, though I don't doubt there is a perfectly good and rational one. Maybe it was seen in the Koreas and elsewhere?

--airspoon

note: lol @ "militia" 3. Leave it up to the Chinese to mistake Minuteman III with militia 3. Chinese and pro-Amnesty types.

[edit on 7-7-2010 by airspoon]

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 04:46 AM
link   
Indeed many things regarding this reported sighting that are way off. Also, i too simply laughed regarding the "militia" instead of the minute man, that is unless the minute man missile's have no become independent thought machines.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 06:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by tristar
Indeed many things regarding this reported sighting that are way off.

Originally posted by airspoon
From the photo, it does look like a ballistic missile but I too am confused how this can be seen all the way in western China and not anywhere closer to the supposed target. I'm interested to hear the explanation, though I doubt there is a perfectly good and rational one. Maybe it was seen in the Koreas and elsewhere?

OK I found an article on Vandenberg's site about the 1900th missile launch on June 30, 2010.

Vandenberg conducts Minuteman III flight test

The missile's single re-entry test vehicle traveled approximately 4,200 miles before reaching its pre-determined target near the Kwajalein Atoll in the Marshall Islands. ICBM analysts, including the Department of Defense and the Department of Energy, will use the data collected to ensure the readiness and capability of the ICBM fleet.

"These launches teach us a great deal and require a team approach," said Col. Carl DeKemper, the 576th Flight Test Squadron commander and mission director. "The launch was part of our continuous self-assessment of the technical and weapons system expertise of our Airmen and the powerful capability of the ICBM fleet."

According to Vandenberg historic records, today also marked the 1,900th launch for Vandenberg AFB since the Air Force assumed the mission in 1957.

I suppose it's not impossible to be viewed from Urumqi but that's nearly the farthest part in China from the flight path I'd expect, so almost everywhere else in China (except the little bit further NW in china) would have had a better view as they would have been closer. The flight path would have taken it probably not too far off the east coast of Japan, but it may not have been as visible during that part of the flight if the altitude was too great.

Also I had no idea there had been 1899 prior launches, I would have thought maybe a few hundred. I figured they would just design a missile, make several test launches to make sure it works, and just let them sit there waiting for someone to push the button. Then design an upgrade to the missile, conduct some more tests launches, and wait again, repeat.

So if this is the 1900th launch, I guess that does add up to a significant number of "UFO opportunities", that's a lot of launches.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 08:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

I'm certainly not an advocate of ET UFOs and in fact, I'm extremely skeptical since I have never seen one, nor have I seen any definitive proof. With that being said, I think most UFO reports are a lot different, as far as description, from a ballistic missile. For the most part, I think people could tell that it would be a rocket of some sort if they saw it, unless of course the rocket spirals out of control.

--airspoon

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Already being discussed here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

The launch was from Baykonur and was widely publicized.

I suspect the Chinese scientist's comment is deliberate misdirection.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by JimOberg
Already being discussed here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

The launch was from Baykonur and was widely publicized.

I suspect the Chinese scientist's comment is deliberate misdirection.
Thanks for the link, I read the other thread.

So on June 30 there were two missile launches, one from Baykonur and one from Vandenberg?

And the missile seen from Urumqi was the one launched from Baykonur which the Chinese misidentified as the missile launched from Vandenberg?

OK this is finally starting to make sense!

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

Good to see your putting the puzzle together, it will only get more interesting.

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 02:39 PM
link   
I haven't looked at the maps, but when you are plotting the trajectory, are you using the "Great Arc" trajectory. On a map, the shortest distance between two points is not a straight line, it is a "great arc." Airlines use this.

Plot the trajectory on a Globe, and then see what you get.

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by tristar

The stereotypical UFO doesn't usually leave a wake so this would've gone into the "unusual" sighting category anyway. So not sure if a forewarning is necessary but thanks just the same OP!

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by One Moment
reply to post by tristar

The stereotypical UFO doesn't usually leave a wake so this would've gone into the "unusual" sighting category anyway. So not sure if a forewarning is necessary but thanks just the same OP!

I would tend to say something in the lines of "use your brain don't abuse it", but you sir\madam have hit the nail on the head. Propulsion of that nature do NOT leave a wake.

[edit on 9-7-2010 by tristar]

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 03:24 PM
link   
You can keep track of Vandenberg launches here. You can even sign up for email updates.

top topics

join