It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Propaganda

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 01:31 AM
link   
I recently stumbled across a book / PDF called propaganda by Edward L. Bernays .
The book is only a 100 + pages and from what I have read so far I can recommend it to all of you . Seeing how this is ATS I am sure that some of you out there not only know of this book but have also read this book , either way here is a link to where this book can be found online , once again I highly recommend checking this out .

If I am not mistaken , please correct me if I am , but I think the author is a nephew of Sigmund Freud .

The book pretty much sums up the mantality of the elite and why they think we need to be " managed " because if left to our own we would surly run amuck . I will post just a few excerpts from the book so that you can get a feel for what the book is about .

THE conscious and intelligent manipulation of the
organized habits and opinions of the masses is an
important element in democratic society. Those who
manipulate this unseen mechanism of society consti-
tute an invisible government which is the true ruling
power of our country.

But the American voters soon found that
without organization and direction their individual
votes, cast, perhaps, for dozens or hundreds of can-
didates, would produce nothing but confusion. In-
visible government, in the shape of rudimentary
political parties, arose almost overnight. Ever since
then we have agreed, for the sake of simplicity and
practicality, that party machines should narrow down
the field of choice to two candidates

In theory, everybody buys the best and cheapest
commodities offered him on the market. In practice,
if every one went around pricing, and chemically
testing before purchasing, the dozens of soaps or
fabrics or brands of bread which are for sale, eco-
nomic life would become hopelessly jammed. To
avoid such confusion, society consents to have its
choice narrowed to ideas and objects brought to its
attention through propaganda of all kinds.

Given that this book is just over 100 pages I hope that if you have not read the book that you do make the time to read it . It is very direct and to the point and you might find yourself very surprised at how " joe public " is actually viewed .

Please feel free to share your thoughts on this book .

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 01:35 AM
link   
I will definitely give this a read, thanks! Until then the only comment I can make is that you are correct that the author is the nephew of Freud.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 01:36 AM
link   
Thanks for the link OP. Real quick! What with the title of the link. www.gay.cz. I need some clearing up on this.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 01:39 AM
link   
reply to post by NoArmsJames

Thanks , hope you find the book interesting and eye opening . I look forward to hearing your thoughts on the book once you have read it

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 01:40 AM
link   
Here is a video
with the man himself
at time stop 0:44 in what
is a great documentary called
The Century Of The Self, aired on BBC.

David Grouchy

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 01:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Romantic_Rebel

LOL I noticed that too , not sure why thats the case ? I simply did a search for the book online in a PDF file and that is what came up .

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 01:44 AM
link   
reply to post by davidgrouchy

Thanks for that

I was just going to search that video out . Is that the video where he presents smoking to females ?

I will give it a look see momentarily , thanks again

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 01:54 AM
link   
The very one.
"Men had invoked
a taboo against women
smoking in public." Bernays

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 02:02 AM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Just saying, is all. No biggie. As long as the word gets out I'm good with it.

I picked up my copy from the library. Next time around I'll see if they have any more of Ed's works. Pretty insidious stuff.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 02:14 AM
link   
Bernays...yeah, wasn't he one of the ones that did the advertising for the cigarette companies?

I might have the wrong chap, interesting none the less, another albeit more recent is Marshall Mcluhan

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 02:20 AM
link   
Excellent post -

I have studied Bernays for years - have referenced him in many dissertations. Yes he is the nephew of Sigmund Freud.

He brought in models dressed as Suffragette's and had them smoke to claim that it was a symbol of womens freedom to smoke - thus increasing smoking amongst women which was very low.

Instant cakes were also not selling well - he figured that women felt guilty about doing so little (just add water) to the bake mix - and so suggested that they should add an egg as well and sales sky rocketed.

He went on to work for Bethlehem steel in union Busting and was instrumental in transforming Americans from citizens to consumers by advocating that purchasing American cars etc was "American" - it was patriotism. It is bizarre to consider that Americans once never viewed things in this way and were transformed to consumers through a marketing ploy.

He was also instrumental in the downing of the Lusitania to help garner American support for the first world war and the wars against Honduras in order to secure the plantation rights of United Fruits by convincing congress that there were communists afoot.

I consider him to be the most evil man in propaganda history - Gerbils learnt from him and considered him the master.

Chomsky reflects deeply upon him in Manufacturing Consent (read this book) and in the magnificent book OVERTHROW he is again referenced regarding political plots.

Thanks for bringing this up - everyone should know about this man.

[edit on 7-7-2010 by Aristophrenia]

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 02:23 AM
link   
I majored in Marketing with my Business Degree and have a fair idea from consumer behaviour science about manipulating human thoughts,beliefs and decision making processes its all about public perception and manipulating human consciousness a process that starts in pre-school and continues all your life.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 02:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Aristophrenia

Thanks for that bit of info on this man

Yes it would seem he wrote the book on propaganda , pardon the pun

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 02:26 AM
link   
reply to post by TheLoony

Akkk Sorry about that my friend .

Star for you

top topics

join