It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran Urges Citizens to Conserve Energy (and jet fuel!)

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by 12voltz

Iran plays it as well if not better than anyone. Ahmadinejad is crazy like a fox. He knows exactly what buttons to push and what to say to keep world attention on this. And world attention is probably all that's preventing his country from going the way of Iraq and Afghanistan.

It's worked for him more than a few times already. Maybe his luck will hold. Maybe not. All it takes is a misstep here or there by someone and that'll be that.

My opinion.

[edit on 7/6/2010 by ~Lucidity]

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

How about I interject again with that map from before. No one IS stopping them from trying to harness nuclear energy. The Russians have legal binding contracts to build them.

There is more to it than that.

Well it's not working, considering the more he talks, the less global support he gets.

[edit on 6-7-2010 by Gorman91]

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 09:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Gorman91

To my knowledge, no one has proved a thing. It's speculation and nothing more. In addition our Secretary of Defense just last week again reiterated that we think they might be there in two years...with nuclear weapons. Hmmm...seems we heard the same thing 4 years ago and 5 years ago...

Really? Did you miss today's news about China and India? Re: his support.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Originally posted by ~Lucidity

Did you know they meet regularly? Iran attends.

Here's their stance on their support for Iran.

Also to note are the alliances in the SCO. Quite a few countries have alliances with G8/G20/NAM/SCO. Layers of alliances. Alliances are fluid.

might aswell

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 09:24 PM
link   

I'll be happy to entertain any evidence of arm twisting by the US in order to obtain the sanctions placed on Iran. In the meantime Iran has come to a fork in the road.

How this plays out in the REAL real world and not in the dark halls of conspiracy will be interesting to say the least.

I personally think Ahmadinejad is not crazy like a fox. More like the Global village idiot.

[edit on 6-7-2010 by SLAYER69]

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Honestly I don't know if I can trust them. I cannot trust theocracies, especially apocalyptic ones. Even as a Catholic, I keep my distance from what the church says and does and keep my own opinions.

Religions by definition want to change others to their way. They are surrounded by westernized states and states that want to become western. They themselves are becoming western by their people's own authority. I cannot help but ponder how much can I trust a nation whose own people called them on a faulty election.

I can't trust theocracies. Especially apocalyptic religious ones.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 09:26 PM
link   

isnt that how the US works in? in the Dark world of conspiracies,
it was due to WMDS or conspiracies of hiding them that the US invaded Iraq,
and now we have conspiracies of Iran building Nukes without any proof apart from the conspiracies from Israel and the white house, welcome to the real world

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 09:28 PM
link   

That global village idiot has thus far managed to thwart several attempts of the preordained. I think he's an intelligent and wise man fighting the seemingly inevitable by doing whatever he has to do...the crazier the better gains attention. And all the while walking a fine line between the people of Iran and the mullahs. But again, that's my opinion from watching him operate and reading his writings and musings and listening to what he says with an objective ear and trying to figure out the motivation. I could be wrong.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by illusive man

But there is a difference. Iran is not Iraq. Iraq did have some weapons of some destruction, just not ones of any variety that could actually do massive destructions. They were created by the US to counter Iran. Of course we would fuel them with our own best weapons of destruction.

Iran is different because, well, they kind of need weapons of mass destruction to say that they are worth something, to their world view.. That does not mean they should, it just means that it would guarantee them far more security.

They could easily do it without nukes, but they won't for some reason.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 09:30 PM
link   

do you Trust Israel with Nukes? which has been proven to have them
who uses Biblical reasons taking over land and so forth, which country has attacked civilians in large numbers and uses GOD as its devine rights?

if you Trust them with these weapons your a hypocript.

then again Iran doesnt even have nukes
but maybe dont trust them with the invisible nukes they have from imagination land.

you bring in Faulty elections
i say look at the US where people votes werent allowed or where people were turned away.

and look at recent UK elections where thousends werent allowed to vote and so forth,

No country is perfect

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 09:31 PM
link   
I've got a question for the folks who always have to drag Israel into this debate, as if that had any bearing on Iran's pursuit on nuclear weapons.

Tell me, WHEN did Israel sign the NPT? I want a specific date. If you can't provide that, don't drag in things that have no bearing on it.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 09:31 PM
link   

That's a battle the Iranian people must take up for themselves. At least that would seem logical to me. I believe that the deliberate and methodical (not to mention repetitive almost to the play) attacks on Iran (and their responses) that we've seen at least twice before in the past 5 years, have nothing to do with either nuclear weapons or their religious non-issues anyway.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 09:33 PM
link   

No, actually. I only trust the P5+1 with nukes. Because they have an semi-stable ability to work together.

In addition, I have said many times all governments are crap and suck. The fact is, the US, being half way to a police state, with crappy politicians, a host of corruption problems, and sheer unimaginable debt, is still the most free nation on Earth. What does that say about everyone else?

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 09:33 PM
link   
reply to post by nenothtu

They haven't even officially confirmed or denied that they have nuclear weaponry. But in any case, no, their not signatory to the NPT, and they should be. And they should be inspected like anyone else. Why people aren't all over them about that is beyond me. I guess they have an important big mouthed, hypocritical ally in that game.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gorman91
But there is a difference. Iran is not Iraq. Iraq did have some weapons of some destruction, just not ones of any variety that could actually do massive destructions. They were created by the US to counter Iran. Of course we would fuel them with our own best weapons of destruction.

Iran is different because, well, they kind of need weapons of mass destruction to say that they are worth something, to their world view.. That does not mean they should, it just means that it would guarantee them far more security.

They could easily do it without nukes, but they won't for some reason.

wow you still buy Iraq had WMDs, still watching Fox news i presume,
so now they need Nukes to be a big player in the world, a weapon you cant use because at the end of the day your ass will be handed on a silver platter,

sorry i dont buy the BS that they need nukes considering the costs of maintaing them and the consequences of using them.

security can be achieved without nukes. so drop the BS they are after nukes unless you got hard evidence they have nukes

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 09:36 PM
link   

2008, Do you possibly have anything a bit older?
Let's get down to brass tacks.

Originally posted by ~Lucidity
That global village idiot has thus far managed to thwart several attempts of the preordained. I could be wrong.

In his head...

So far since I've been here I've read all kinds of threads about this eminent attack on Iran by the US or Israel or both, year after year. It hasn't happened not becuase the village idiot has done anything to avoid it if anything he has exasperated the situation. He is going to get a lot of people killed but that doesn't matter to him or the Mullahs as long as they are proven right in their heads and apparently to many here as well.

For the record I'm not advocating an attack on Iran.

link   
To be fair, he said WSD not WMD
I don't think we're going to solve this. Just hang on for the ride. If the game plays out, we'll be back to "normal" soon. If not, and it may not this time as the sanctions are pretty fierce, we'll see...

link   

It has everything to do with it. Religion is a motivator for war.

Indeed, I personally support a "petri dish" strategy. Close Iran off for a few years and let the people improve it. The people are an antibody to the recluse of government. As they Iranian government is cut off, they will try to be like North Korea, but because the people have already tasted and enjoyed freedom for so long, they will not allow it. And so, without any actual on the spot action, Iran becomes a very efficient republic.

Believe it or not, I trust Iran to become a regional power that can secure the region against imperialism from Russia America and China. But not under the current president. I believe that Iran has the capacity to become the regional leader and security enforcer. But not with the current president. I'd trust Iran's "green" movement with nukes any day.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 09:37 PM
link   

That is to the current regime's opinion. Their movements and words seem to indicate they think that way.

And yes Iraq had WMDs. We put them there.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Less than two years old. I'm 100% sure their stance hasn't changed. There has been no dramatic shift among the NAM countries since the last two times we've been through this drill with Iran.

But here's something from a couple of weeks ago to reinforce this...if it helps.

Iran's representative to IAEA: Non-Aligned Movement member-countries support Tehran's agreement

And again, there's news from China and India and even Russia on the sanctions today. Second thoughts. It's all muddled up.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join