It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Concord, MA too broke for streetlights now

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Ah yes, historic Concord, cradle of liberty, etc etc. Perhaps former Concord hermit and nature-loving philosopher Henry David Thoreau would have approved of being able to see the stars more clearly at night, but I doubt many residents these days would agree.

I believe (although I could be mistaken) that Concord is a fairly upscale community these days. They certainly aren't a slum. But who knows what may happen with formerly affluent communities everywhere facing mini-auterity crises left and right...a thousand points of darkness.

NECN: Scot Yount, Concord, Mass.) - A plan in the works to save money in Concord, Massachusetts. Residents can keep their lights on, but they'll have to pay a monthly fee. It's become a hot topic in the town of 17,000.

David Ropeik: "Government can't afford now the basic kinds of things that we thought government basically did."

In historic Concord, Massachusetts-the lights, are going out.

David Ropeik: "It is pretty strange, we got the reverse 911 call that is usually there if a burglar loose in your neighborhood that says we are taking down your infrastructure."

In fact, the town is taking down hundreds of street lights mostly in residential neighborhoods to save money on electricity. David Ropeik says the light is barely bright enough to walk his dogs as it is.

David Ropeik: "Just seems strange that a kind of a thing that we all take for granted like street lights, red lights, green lights, pavements and things is now beyond the town's means."

More at source:
www.necn.com...

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 07:20 PM
link   
What's the big deal? Much of Tucson doesn't have street lights, and the night sky is spectacular!

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 07:36 PM
link   
It sure is strange gettin older sometimes...I remember telling friends they would start charging for streetlights. Blank stares is what I got, lol.
I also believe they will put domes over towns and charge for clean air. I guess the HOA communities are beginnings of such a situation. Oh, and they will filter the water. I guess that is all good, huh? I call it jail.
Love to all.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 08:13 PM
link   
They were supposed to do that to some streets where I am too. I don't know if they did or not. My street still has them. Let's just hope you have some low crime areas where it will be ok.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 08:59 PM
link   
I have been paying for my street light for twenty years at a rate of five dollars a month. It is worth it.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 09:03 PM
link   
We noticed the other day that they've shut a lot of ours off too. Great...something else I pay for that I'm not longer going to get because the money's going...somewhere.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 09:25 PM
link   
I'll bet Concorde would pay for illegal immigration services.....

another line

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 10:52 PM
link   
I was in Santa Barbara,Calif. a while back and half their streetlights were out.

They just don't replace the bulbs if they burn out.

Where I live they don't replace the bulbs unless a resident tells them the pole number so they know which one is burned out.You have to call a phone number and report it but they do come out and replace it within a day or so.

There would not be an issue if they used some of the "Emperors" stimulus money and installed solar powered LED street lights.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 01:56 AM
link   
progressing forward into the past.

this is what happens when government regulates energy out of existence and taxes the living crap out of an economy.

darkness.

[edit on 7-7-2010 by mnemeth1]

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 09:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Oneolddude

You bring up a good point. I always thought that street lights should be solar powered. They can charge up in the sun all day and automatically turn on at night. There could be a small battery to hold a charge in case you run into a few cloudy days in a row. It would work just fine.

Take some of that stimulus money they are wasting on the banksters and give it to the states for this. It would create a bunch of jobs all over the country and in the long run it would benefit us all with free solar powered street lights. As you said they could be LED so there would not be much power required.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Yes, all manner of street lighting can be run off a battery charged by a Solar Panel no problem. The whole set up can be bought relatively cheaply.
I am surprised there are not more governors and senators familiy members setting up these kind of businesses.

PEACE,
RK

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by dlifesjrny
What's the big deal? Much of Tucson doesn't have street lights, and the night sky is spectacular!

This is MA. Where the people are entitled to be sheltered from the realities of existence by any means necessary.

Free medical care for everyone. Bright quality lighting from the slightest hint of dusk to the crisp sun after dawn. Shady coverings and enclosed walkways for when there is perhaps too much sun or slightly inclement weather. A cop and a library on every corner.

Huzzah!!

Oh, this year we need to jack your taxes to a meager 45%, fire 90% of those cops, close all of those libraries and turn everyone 65 or older away from the hospitals but Huzzzah!

MA is a joke. A sad running joke with no end in sight.

new topics

top topics

join