It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Feds File Suit on AZ immigration law "S.B. 1070"

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 08:09 PM
link   
I know that most will not agree with me on this but I was watching the news tonight and the way that they stated the law was to be enforced was; The law requires the police officers to request papers from anyone who they are unsure of citizenship. Then the fed said “we would not have to room or man power to process them all”. So what are we supposed to do? Say o’ well common in!

I think that they don’t want the law to pass because then the president would never be able to go to Arizona. After all this I would say you could bet they will ask him for I.D.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 08:15 PM
link   
According to a Bush-era DOJ memo that is STILL in force may complicate Obama's case. Washington Post

The document, written in 2002 by the Justice Department's Office of Legal Counsel, concluded that state police officers have "inherent power" to arrest undocumented immigrants for violating federal law.

Further, States enforcing Federal immigration law is nothing new. For example, this is from the Tennessee Code Annotated:

4-7-121. Officers trained to enforce federal immigration laws. —

Highway patrol officers certified as trained in accordance with a memorandum of understanding between the state of Tennessee and the United States department of homeland security pursuant to § 4-3-2015 are authorized to enforce federal immigration laws while performing within the scope of their authorized duties as state highway patrol officers.

[Acts 2007, ch. 165, § 2.]
The Obama administration tries to act like this is such a travesty, when in fact most States have agreements WITH the Federal government to process illegal immigrants. They need to get over it and stop playing politics with this and do their job.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by xyankee

The fact is we have a huge problem with people entering the US illegally and AZ has likely the most porus border region in the US.

I know there is a Ghost Team in AZ all shooters and they broke 200 KIA last night. All were armed and had drugs. The locals and Border Patrol have turned a blind eye to it and just collect the bodies. The traffic in the Closed area of AZ border has far less traffic as a result.

We need more of this all on the Border. Soon they will get the message. its not worth sneeking in "we" might die in the process.

BTW its illegal in Mexico for a Citizen to Leave without permission they can be arrested when the return.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by SWCCFAN

Are you saying that the locals are taking target practice? If so that would be the best I have herd yet. As a matter of fact I am moving to TX at the end of July. I might just have to take a ride over to AZ and help out by bagging a few! This whole thing makes me sick. Well one nice thing is you don’t have to gut them after ya shoot em, we can just let the coroner handle that. After a while I think that they will get the message.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by xyankee

Well Some may be locals but are not with the AZ militia. They are all former Gulf War 'shooters'. I former specops msgt knows the team leader and told me about it but I don't know any other details on it besides the numbers updated to me today.

I am here in MS and we are gathering the Detalis on all the Illegals working here and will be ready to report it to the State athorities and they can go after the employers under the feds "E-Verify" law. We will tracking their activities until the Law in MS allows for their arrest and then we will give all our Intel to local and state LE.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 08:47 PM
link   
I agree with the feds on this one because this law they are trying to implement is racist and goes against human dignity by allowing the police to stop someone if they suspect they are here illegally. So if I'm brown and driving in Arizona they can pull me over and question me, ask for "papers" and basic assume I'm illegal until proven otherwise. Does not sound right to me.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by gems1
I agree with the feds on this one because this law they are trying to implement is racist and goes against human dignity by allowing the police to stop someone if they suspect they are here illegally. So if I'm brown and driving in Arizona they can pull me over and question me, ask for "papers" and basic assume I'm illegal until proven otherwise. Does not sound right to me.

Can you please cite the section of the AZ law S.B. 1070 that you claim is being racist?

When people play the race card its usually because the cannot put forth a valid arguement to voice their educated opinon.

Take your time .... I have read the Bill and you will not find what you claim.

Thanks for commenting!

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by SWCCFAN

Irony in action! The Feds are using the Constitution they are working so hard to abolish to sue the state of Arizona for doing its (the Fed's) job.

I'd laugh if I didn't want to cry.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by gems1

Wow!

That is quite the racist response!

You think that everyone who is American has white skin

and everyone that is here illegally has brown skin?????

YOU are the racist.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by SeenMyShare

Well lets use some logic here:

If the feds get their way and the court rules that a state cannot enforce federal laws, then all state laws that are congruant with the federal law are null and viod.

So so much for the state enforcing drug laws

That's just one example. What about federal firearms laws? The list can go on and on. I think most here are smart enough to get that logic.

The feds may just hang themselves

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 09:28 PM
link   
so wait the feds are suing AZ because in essence they are going to enforce federal law?

S.B. 1070 is almost an exact copy of federal law. and the Supremacy Clause of the United States Constitution grants the federal government the right to regulate such things as immigration however the Supremacy Clause mandates that the states must enforce federal law. Maybe Obama's flunkies should have read the United States Constitution!

Also it is not unconstitutional for states to have laws mirroring federal laws. usually the state laws close loopholes in the federal law. which is what S.B. 1070 does. why else would Obama want to force AZ to not enforce Federal law?

And AZ's law will only allow police to question a persons citizenship status if they have reason to believe the person is in the country illegally and only if they have stopped the person for suspicion of another crime.

not really racial profiling considering the law applies to everyone of every race not just Hispanics! ANd Hispanics are not the only race to enter illegally into the U.S.!

its funny really Obama is suing AZ because they said they will start enforcing immigration law yet Obama won't sue the cities and states that blatently break federal law by passing sanctuary laws for illegal aliens!

I personally have no problem with people immigrating to the U.S. aslong as they do it legally. But those that choose to come here illegally should be rounded up and sent back to their country of origin and should not be allowed to reenter the U.S. for atleast 5 years. and if they are caught reentering illegally then they should be barred permanently from entering the U.S.

if they have children that was born in the U.S. they should place the parents under house arrest and fast track them for citizenship. and they should have to pay a fine be required to gain meaningful employement and pay their taxes just like everyone else does!

now if they are fleeing their country of origin because of political pursicution etc. then they need to apply for asylum.

ETA: Maybe AZ should amend their law and add in that they will add a state tax on any money wired out of state! Could you imagine the uproar over that since most illegals come to the U.S. and work without paying taxes and then send most of their money home to their families

[edit on 7/6/2010 by Mercenary2007]

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by SWCCFAN

Ahhhh, I see your point
. Wouldn't that be wonderful? Knee jerk reaction doesn't always allow my brain sufficient time to process all of the information '). Thanks!

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by WXBackdoor
Well ,

EXample - "i would love to walk around my town without the harassment of policeman , and the fear of just because i look like an Immigrant , i will be stopped and harassed by the police , I'm a citizen for god sake!!"...snip

[edit on 6-7-2010 by WXBackdoor]

The police must be investigating you for a previously committed crime to ask you for your citizenship, and even then, only if you fail to provide any reliable ID (this is as simple as telling the arresting officer your name and SSN if you don't have an ID - a procedure practiced in most of the US anyway). Unless the person in your example is walking around with a beer in his hand or throwing rocks at passing cars, he/she has nothing to worry about. How exactly can local law enforcement realistically profile nearly 1/2 of it's population (Hispanics), especially under circumstances of now extreme scrutiny?

Your fears are based on propaganda and confusion (lies). Perhaps you should read the law before you debase it with false arguments.

So should the rest of the people boycotting AZ.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 10:16 PM
link   
The United States Government cannot charge anyone with a Crime
Unless a Grand Jury hands down a True Bill.
So the Department Of Justice has not gone to a Grand Jury for a
True Bill stating that Arizona has violated any Human Rights which is a Crime.
The Department Of Justice has filed a Civil Lawsuit in Arizona.
Civil must be interfering with commerce in some way to be able to sue in court without a
True Bill from a Grand Jury.
Again to violate someone’s Civil rights it must take a Grand Jury to give a
True Bill.
But today’s news says
Department Of Justice Sues Arizona
It must be about Commerce because to charge the State would take a True Bill
From a Grand Jury

So how has AZ Interfered in Commerce in any way?
What is the difference between a Civil and a Criminal
Court hearing!
Grand Jury Crime
Sue equals Commerce!

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Gmoneycricket

That's what the suit alleges. The FEDS claim that AZ has violated the Commerce Clause in the Constitution. Seems that when the Feds see fit they attempt to support the Constitution.

"The Sixteenth American
Jurisprudence, Second Edition, Section 256 quoted below
or in Marbury vs Madison
to wit "Thus, the particular phraseology of the constitution of the United States
confirms and strengthens the principle, supposed to be essential to all written
constitutions, that a law repugnant to the constitution is void; and that courts, as
well as other departments, are bound by that instrument."
Please reflect on how your property taxes are levied - not as the
Constitution requires a direct tax to be apportioned but by the
value of your family's home, by the fruits of your labor.
And what does Amerika do or say?? SHhhhhhhhhhhh, Silence"

Mr. Crowley ATS member

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 05:10 PM
link   
As a resident of the fine State of Arizona, I am left shaking my head at the actions of this Administration in Washington.

What many dont realize is that we are being overrun here with illegals coming over not just from Mexico, but also those illegal immigrants coming over from California. Mexifornia, as we all know, is in financial meltdown and many illegals are enjoying fewer social services there due to the cutbacks Gov Schwartzenegar has enacted recently.

I find it interesting that Politicians from Southern California have called for their constituents to boycott anything and everything Arizona, while their illegal immigrant population suddenly loves us and are now moving here en masse, putting an additional strain on our already over-burdoned social service offices here.

TPTB in Washington DC know that if the status quo doesnt change drastically and quickly, their political futures are over in 2 years; They are counting on registering all illegal immigrants to vote, thereby saving their careers. I predict Amnesty will be granted in the near future for all illegals willing to fill out a voters registration card.

This President will do ANYTHING to see to it that this goes HIS way. I am watching the Justice of the US Supreme Court Nomination/Confirmation process with great sadness...I am afraid the writing is on the wall.

If you agree with the Arizona law, I urge you to support our wonderful Gov. Jan Brewer. Goodness knows she needs it.

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by WXBackdoor
This is not Mexico , this is America , "the land of the free." , "the land of opportunities."

People escape from those kind of draconian societies to come here and enjoy a "free" life.

You're right. The US is a land of the free and a land of opportunity.

And you do know there are legal ways of coming to the country and being a legal citizen and they don't involve illegally crossing a border.

My friend is wading thru the paperwork to get his fiance into the US from Canada. Why should illegals from Mexico (or any other country) get a free pass and not have to be bothered with that paperwork?

As someone here said, I think it's a way for the Dems to get the Latino vote. "Hey, look! We made you all citizens and it didn't cost you a dime! Vote Democrat in November!"

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 06:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wayne60
According to a Bush-era DOJ memo that is STILL in force may complicate Obama's case. Washington Post

The document, written in 2002 by the Justice Department's Office of Legal Counsel, concluded that state police officers have "inherent power" to arrest undocumented immigrants for violating federal law.

Further, States enforcing Federal immigration law is nothing new.
The Obama administration tries to act like this is such a travesty, when in fact most States have agreements WITH the Federal government to process illegal immigrants. They need to get over it and stop playing politics with this and do their job.

The Administration forgets that DHS and ICE have already authorized State Police and local agencies to do exactly what AZ is doing:

Under a little-known federal program called ICE 287(g), the administration has continued to enlist at least eight Arizona state law-enforcement agencies to carry out the procedures at issue in the new Arizona law, which goes into effect July 29.

The program dates to a 1995 law signed by President Bill Clinton, which allows US immigration officials to train local law-enforcement officers and authorize them to ID and detain illegals. After 9/11, the Homeland Security Department entered into official partnership agreements with various police departments, allowing them to search federal databases for illegals.
The program spread across the country, including to Arizona. It now involves 71 state and local police agencies. Indeed, Homeland Security has even conscripted Arizona state troopers to help it enforce federal immigration rules. Obama's Homeland Security chief, Janet Napolitano, OK'd that agreement and another deal with a second state law-enforcement agency when she was Arizona's governor.

www.nypost.com...

More hypocrisy at taxpayers expense for political effect rather than progress.

deny ignorance

jw

[edit on 9-7-2010 by jdub297]

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Proper procedure is to present arguments based on the Feds failure to secure the border and protect from invasion (which is in the constitution), which is essentially what is happening at the border. Article IV Section 4 obligates Congress to protect the States from invasion.

Now just exactly how SCOTUS has defined invasion, or if they ever have, I do not know. If this is what AZ has in mind, I look for Obama and company to try and change the legal definition of invasion to suit their purpose.

DOJ seems to be basing their case on the Supremacy clause, which reads in the Constitution of having more to do with treaties, which I seem to recall having heard them mention before. But I am unfamiliar with anything SCOTUS has ruled on, so I have no idea what they can do with this. The argument is moot.

No place does the constitution say the word immigration and no place does it give the feds the power to regulate it.
Clause 4. The Congress shall have Power To establish an uniform Rule of Naturalization, and uniform Laws on the subject of Bankruptcies throughout the United States.

Read more: www.azcentral.com...#ixzz145 kPWEtU

posted on Nov, 1 2010 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reply to post by SWCCFAN

That Document reads like a Declaration of War . It also treads on the " Fine Line " of State Sovereignty Guaranteed by the Constitution of the United States . Unless the Constitution is Ammened to give the Federal Goverment the Power to Over Rule that Sovereignty , it is Unlawful don't you think ? If the SCOTUS somehow Allowed it , how would they Justify a Decision like that ?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join