It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Feds say, drinking a small cup of crude oil will not have long term health effects

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Health and Human Services Department officials told a Congressional hearing that little is known about the health impacts on people of oil spills.

The oil itself is irritating but not especially dangerous to touch or even swallow, Dr. John Howard of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention told a hearing of the Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor and Pensions last week.

"Swallowing small amounts (less than a coffee cup) of oil will cause upset stomach, vomiting, and diarrhea, but is unlikely to have long-lasting health effects," he said.

www.reuters.com...

Drink up guys, we can go to the gulf and play in the oil. Lets make oil men and oil angels....don't eat the yellow oil!

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 06:23 PM
link   
somebody should of placed a cup of oil in front of the guy that made those comments and let him practice what he preaches.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 06:31 PM
link   
I totally agree- they should have made him drink a cup of oil. I bet he would have changed his tune.

How can it not be bad for you?

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 06:38 PM
link   
I'm not from Missouri, but whichever government shill said that needs to

Show Me!

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Finally a solution to the oil spill,everyone head down to the beach and have a cup of oil.Brilliant idea, this is why we should leave these problems to the experts.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 06:50 PM
link   
That whole report is worthless - IMO - it contains data only relevant to the oil and says NOTHING about the chemical dispersant that are also being used. Until the full picture is studied, nothing can be taken for granted, especially recommendations from the "experts" that only account for half the picture. Pure junk.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Well, if someone from the CDC said it, then it has to be the Absolute Truth!

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 07:00 PM
link   
what if we were to fire the man while he is drinking the oil...
with real fire

flaming gas hole

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Um, he DID say it will cause stomach, vomiting, and diarrhea. So it's not like he's saying its harmless.

I used to work in a machine shop. I got crap poured over me all day. Not exactly fun, but it didnt kill me. I think thats all this guy is saying.

I know i'm going to get tarred and feathered for this, but isnt the crude better on land than floating out at sea where its decomposition will add to Dead Zones?

I mean, all the 'clean up' effort seems to entail is dumping it somewhere else away from the Tourist Beaches.

And YES, the Corexitt is BAAAAD, but the Gulf is quite ventilated. Considering the crap that dumps into public waterways every day, everywhere in North America, it seems kind of hysterical to think this will have some major catastrophic event on the environment, any more than the millions of gallons of urban waste that constantly dump into our waterways.

Yes Yes Yes this is bad. But dont tar and feather the guy for pointing out a fact. A little crude aint gonna kill ya. Thats all he said. An NO, i'm not apologizing for BP.

Tar and Feather away...

[edit on 6-7-2010 by justadood]

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 07:12 PM
link   
yes it wont kill you in the long run because you would be already dead from drinking it. is this fo-real

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by justadood

No tar and feather here (nice pun BTW).

But, what about benzene exposure?

Documented cases of benzene-related blood diseases date back to before the turn of the 20th Century. The relationship between benzene and leukemia was first reported in 1928. In 1948, the American Petroleum Institute published a report linking benzene exposure to leukemia, concluding that the only safe level of benzene exposure is no exposure at all. Since that date, various studies have demonstrated that a number of trades–including plastics workers, painters, gasoline distribution workers, petroleum refinery workers, chemical workers, rubber workers, and printing press operators--have an increased risk of developing leukemia and other blood cancers and blood disorders as a result of their work-related exposure to benzene.

www.leukemiainfocenter.com...

You can't tell me drinking a cup of crude oil isn't bad for your health.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 07:36 PM
link   
You people are over-reacting.

The health benefits of the daily consumption of small amounts of crude oil
are well documented. Crude oil in its natural state is low in saturated fats,
it is sodium and sugar-free, high in triglycerides, contains 9 essential
vitamins, plus iron, manganese, and phosphorous, not to mention the
wonderful lubricating properties of the intestinal and colonic passageways
so you'll never have to worry about constipation again...

But no more than a small cupful...
Like the saying goes, "Everything in moderation".

Salude

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 07:40 PM
link   
At one time didn't the same agencies say the same thing about tobacco, thalidomide, nutrasweet, Fenfluramine, etc...

The only current measuring staff we have to use for or against these (assinine) statements about the safety of oil is to turn to big business and see how they cover their own ass, so to speak. Look at a quart of motor oil, look at the side of the gas pump, look at any base petroleum product aside from petroleum jelly and notice the warning label telling people about the cancers and dangers associated with skin contact, inhalation, and ingestion of the product. The companies can lie to Congress and to the American people as a whole... but they are scared to death of getting raked over the coals the way the big Tobacco companies did 15 years ago in civil lawsuit courts. Thus: warning labels identifying what they believe the dangers of their black gold are.

Given that, I say Dr. John Howard is full of it... may history prove me wrong on that because, if it does not, said history will likely be written by a world with a Gulf of Mexico population ravaged by illness thanks to BP.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 07:41 PM
link   
People, if for some reason you WILL ever have to drink a little sweet crude, that's all right as long as you avoid certain practical jokes after that, like fart lighting. Because you just may take off.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by rival
Crude oil in its natural state is low in saturated fats,
it is sodium and sugar-free, high in triglycerides, contains 9 essential
vitamins, plus iron, manganese, and phosphorous, not to mention the
wonderful lubricating properties of the intestinal and colonic passageways
so you'll never have to worry about constipation again...

The same can be said about animal feces... doesn't mean it's a wise idea to ingest them.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 08:06 PM
link   

I guess that will be the new beverage trend

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 08:42 PM
link   
"The companies can lie to Congress and to the American people as a whole... but they are scared to death of getting raked over the coals the way the big Tobacco companies did 15 years ago in civil lawsuit courts."

Exactly. They're just playing the damage control card to attempt to head off and cover up massive potential liability claims against BP and the Government. If they admitted the oil was bad for your health, then they would be on the hook for all of the future claims which will be filed when people start getting sick and dropping like flies.

These half-truths and outright lies are standard operating procedure and the first step in the defense against future litigation. Since these same people control the highly corrupt court system, this is nothing but a sick little game for them. What else is new?

[edit on 6-7-2010 by SphinxMontreal]

[edit on 6-7-2010 by SphinxMontreal]

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Ok, the first round is on me.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 08:56 PM
link   
And these people are making big decisions,.. what a joke. If that statement it true why the worry about the animals, why is there an article of valdez clean up people dying young. Where is that dam asteroid...

join