It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This Flag story touched my heart

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 04:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by boondock-saint

Originally posted by LiveForever8
reply to post by boondock-saint

Luckily for you I am not American.

I just don't see how a homeless man picking the American flag off the ground is newsworthy. Slow news day, eh?

Really?

I've never understood American patriotism and this post has led me to believe I never will.

ya see that's another problem with foreigners
and illegal immigrants, neither of them understand
American Patriotism. Nor what American symbolism means.
Just like the following pic. I'll bet not a single foreigner or
illegal immigrant can tell me what this pic is about.
Yet it made news headlines in just about every American
newspaper and has been the theme of many hollywood
movies.

Wow keep acting like America is the only country on the planet.

When your countries economy crashes and your little flags bear the "made in China" logo I dare you to show your patriotism then.

I have nothing against America, just against IGNORANT FOREIGNERS who think their country is the only one who has fought in a war. How ignorant to think that only Americans would understand what the picture stands for. We in other countries learn about the WORLD, not just about our home country like YOU.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 05:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by 1xion325alpha
Wow keep acting like America is the only country on the planet.

When your countries economy crashes and your little flags bear the "made in China" logo I dare you to show your patriotism then.

I have nothing against America, just against IGNORANT FOREIGNERS who think their country is the only one who has fought in a war. How ignorant to think that only Americans would understand what the picture stands for. We in other countries learn about the WORLD, not just about our home country like YOU.

I do NOT think America is the only country on the
planet. But the OP was discussing an American Flag
and Patriotism, NOT Aussie Patriotism or it's flag
and most who show up here in this thread are the
ones who want to derail the thread and are from
a different country. Well you folks can hate
America all you want and it's flag. Doesn't
mean I have to.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 07:36 AM
link   
Its just a flag guys. You can worship it all you want. but in the end its just a piece of cloth.

A country is much more than a flag with pretty colours on it.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 09:45 AM
link   
I would love to see a smart person display some patriotism. It seems only the most retarded of my city are patriotic nowadays. America needs to earn its patriotism. My boss wanted to fly an American flag in front of our office but there was a law against it. We needed a permit, so he blew it off.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Yes, some are right, it is only a piece of cloth, and yes, some of us do put some mentality value on it...THAT piece of cloth represents our country ...how you feel about YOUR flag is up to you, but SOME of us (not all, obviously) feel very strongly about what our flag represents...funny, there was a time when people sailed into a certain harbor and cried when they saw that flag and a very special lady (sad times we live in today for the lack of the freedoms she once offered to immigrants and her own citizens alike
)...I have 2 boys age 5 and 7, and have taught them to remove their hats, sunglasses, etc. when they see old glory coming down the street...it's called RESPECT...what the guy did in the video was a RESPECTABLE thing to do...

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Whine Flu
Oh god...

Since when did "patriot" mean "person that saves flags"?

I guess I don't have to do too much to be considered a patriot, then. I also love how this thread just turned into how wrong foreigners are for not knowing the meaning of the American flag. We don't care. I would rather some of you dudes just stuffed the flag down your own throat so it saves us from having to choke on your bullcrap.

I was going to try to write something properly acerbic and to-the-point, but you've done it so nicely that I won't attempt to follow.

I'll instead be a bit uncharacteristically serious and express my distaste for the notion that if an individual--for whatever idiosyncratic reason--is suspicious of the authenticity of this news story, or simply believes it isn't movingly representative of patriotism, (or that patriotism is ultimately irrelevant or outdated), their perspective must be indicative of too much luxury and not enough heart. (Such a sentiment has been voiced a few times in this thread.) It's preposterous and insulting, and unfortunately one of the easiest judgments for the nationalistically-minded to make--it's repeated far too often around here. An individual can question or outright dismiss this story (for factuality or just relevance) and still be patriotic; and an individual can lack patriotism or criticize yours and yet not be clueless OR hostile to your country (or their own). Oh, the nonsense patriotism brings out in those who believe themselves patriotic...

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 12:40 PM
link   
I was at a client's home earlier this morning, working on their business PC, when I saw this story on Yahoo (I think it was Yahoo)

A News video of a man in the pouring rain and high winds took the time to pick it up, fold it properly, and apparently even went so far as to place the downed flag pole nearby but out of harm's way/traffic, what have you.

Patriotic? Yes, at least apparently to him, based upon his demonstrated reverence and care for the same.

News worthy? Some folks obviously felt so, else it wouldn't have been reported as such.

Me? I'm inclined to think it being "news worthy" merely due to the 4th having been only a few days ago ... and people just haven't yet gone back to their daily doldrums and care only bout themselves mindsets Yet (?)

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by 12m8keall2c

when I was a boy, our school in NC each classroom in the
morning when we arrived, we stood beside our desks
and placed our hand over our hearts and cited the pledge
of allegiance to that American Flag. I upheld that flag in high
regard and it meant something to me.

Nowdays, kids don't do that any more. The pledge and
the flag mean nothing to them. Maybe that's part of the
reason why we are in the state we are in in society today.

It's quite depressing to me to see such disrespect
for a symbol of our nation and freedom.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Believe me, I understand completely. I still often get misty-eyed or tear up even at a high school football game.

Our youngest daughter graduated high school a few weeks back, and , Yep ... there too.

I'm by no means Blindly patriotic, nor am I "blinded by a stars and stripes mentality" with regards How such has often been bastardized by Many administrations and/or political parties and lobbied interests over the years.

The flag itself I revere, not just for what it represents or stands for, but for what it represents with regards the foundations upon which this nation was founded and built upon .... NOT for any given "cause" nor "purpose" it's been "Used" for by far too many political parties, movements, self-interests, administrations and/or "agendas" over the years.

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America.

then again, and at the same time, to Each their own.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by WXBackdoorNationalist propaganda at it's best.

Really? I'm NOT an American despite living 90% of my life in the United States. I find it funny, that jerkwads who have everything bitch and complain at how evil America is, burning flags in protest, while a person who has absolutely nothing, not even a roof over his head cares enough to "save an American flag".

It's not about "America as a government", it's about "America, our home, our families home".

Good thread OP.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 03:59 PM
link   

I saw the video yesterday, 06 JUL 10, and my initial thought was that although this guy was homeless, he still had enough respect for the flag to do what was proper.

I would've never thought that this thread would turn into an anti-American rant-a-fest.

Here's what the flag means to me, something that the younger generation doesn't realize. It means that this nation was found by the courage and sacrifice of men, women and children to live a life without any unreasonable restrictions imposed on them by an arrogant king across the Atlantic Ocean. The blood that was spilled to secure our liberties can't be forgotten nor should it be lest they died in vain.

Courage and sacrifice is something that is uncommon in todays society. When the younger generation finally realizes that their freedoms are being trampled on, let's hope that they will gain the courage to make sacrifices.

The flag of the United States does not represent my government nor is it just a symbol or a peice of cloth. The flag is a representation of "Here beneath this banner is an American and I salute the men, women, and children that has selflessly given their lives so that I can display it."

Foreigners will never understand the depth of what Americans feel about our freedom. Maybe that why they are so anxious for our government to fall so that they can have a peice of this great land we call the United States.

Although the man in the video is homeless, it does reflect that across this nation of ours there are still people who holds this banner in high regards.

[edit on 7/7/10 by Intelearthling]

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Intelearthling

very well spoken
star for you

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 11:19 PM
link   
reply to post by rockhndr

You know. That's totally what I was searching for. I think Patriotism is over blown; Just because you say "I like flag" or "I like America" doesn't make you some special patriot... You go fight for this country.. you're a patriot. If you want to call yourself a patriot, IMO you should have had something to lose when you did your patriotic act.w

Respect is a good word to describe what this man did..

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 01:03 PM
link   
UPDATE: Story goes National !!!
Now FOX is running the story on the front page.
Just shows there are still Patriots and people who
care about the flag in this world.

Way to go Gus !!!!

www.foxnews.com...

edit for spelling

[edit on 8-7-2010 by boondock-saint]

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by boondock-saint
UPDATE: Story goes National !!!
Now FOX is running the story on the front page.
Just shows there are still Patriots and people who
care about the flag in this world.

Way to go Gus !!!!
edit for spelling

[edit on 8-7-2010 by boondock-saint]

Not to offend but,

I feel like you are just proving the point I made earlier in this thread.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Are any smart people waving the American flag? Please show me one. I'll wave mine too. I saw another homeless guy here in El Paso today. He used to be a rock star. Should I worship the guitar if he picks one up?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join