It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This Flag story touched my heart

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 09:33 PM
link   
reply to post by GENERAL EYES

yep, I totally agree with your assessment.

I saw a hollywood movie entitled "The Last Samurai"
with Tom Cruise.

Some of the best advice I had ever heard came
from The Japanese Emperor at the end of that
movie.

"Emperor Meiji: My ancestors have ruled Japan for 2,000 years.
And for all that time we have slept. During my sleep I have
dreamed. I dreamed of a unified Japan. Of a country strong and
independent and modern... And now we are awake. We have
railroads and cannon, Western clothing. But we cannot forget
who we are. Or where we come from. "

www.imdb.com...

and thusly we are in the same boat as the Emperor.

We as Americans SHOULD not forget
where WE come from or who WE are.
Even after awakening

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Hmm..
*coughs*

What?

Ok cool he took the flag during a storm.. but who cares, honestly?
Maybe it's just me.. but

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by jolois

a question for you:

Are you an American Citizen ????

The reason why I ask this is because
it has been mostly foreigners who have
participated in this thread and gave negative
comments.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 11:06 PM
link   
Thanks for posting the video. I think this comment over at
youtube.com about the video sums it up for me:

"I like when people do the right thing even when they assume no one is watching.".......

[edit on 6-7-2010 by manta78]

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by manta78
"I like when people do the right thing even when they assume no one is watching.".......

ur right
I guess that was one of the things that
made this special to me. He was a good Samaritan
for a noble cause.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by boondock-saint

Originally posted by WXBackdoor
That picture is Nationalist Propaganda , it was staged ( maybe you are the one that knows nothing)

are you saying that US Marines did not take the high ground
on Iwo Jima and didn't plant a flag when they got there ???
If so, you're gonna have some irate US Marines on your
case.

Actually more or less.. that flag was planted before victory in Iwojima for.... NEWSPAPERS. Literally that picture was taken for propaganda. It's not that they never planted the flag, is more like the planted the flag when the battle was half won so that the American citizenry could have a boost in morale.

But I think this was such a touching story, he seems like a happy guy even though he has very little. I don't know if I would call it patriotism though..

[edit on 6-7-2010 by Miraj]

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 11:19 PM
link   
I think what he did was cool.

However, I don't think what he did is the measure of true patriotism. A true patriot will sit back and let someone else burn the American flag - because burning the flag is an exercise of our rights of free speech, as ordained by the Constitution of the United States. The flag is a great symbol for us, but caring for it doesn't make you a patriot, same as going to church doesn't make you a true Christian.

By the way, I'm an American citizen, have been my whole life (lol). I think the Constitution is the best measure of patriotism...

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Miraj
But I think this was such a touching story, he seems like a happy guy even though he has very little. I don't know if I would call it patriotism though..

pardon my short response
but what would you call it then ???

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by spacekc929
I think what he did was cool.

However, I don't think what he did is the measure of true patriotism. A true patriot will sit back and let someone else burn the American flag - because burning the flag is an exercise of our rights of free speech, as ordained by the Constitution of the United States. The flag is a great symbol for us, but caring for it doesn't make you a patriot, same as going to church doesn't make you a true Christian.

By the way, I'm an American citizen, have been my whole life (lol). I think the Constitution is the best measure of patriotism...

I don't see how you can compare Patriotism
and Christianity.

So would you allow someone to burn
the US Constitution??? Free Speech and all ???

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 11:33 PM
link   
flags are symbols
what the symbols represent are important

A republic if you can keep it....

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 11:34 PM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

Hahahaha. Way to totally misinterpret what I was saying.

I was not 'comparing' Christianity to Patriotism... I was pointing out a common analogy. Someone cannot call themselves a true Patriot because they put a flag on their front porch, and then go and say "I don't think all criminals REALLY deserve an attorney..." because by saying that they are saying they don't want to abide by the Constitution, which is the actual framework of America. Commonly, people will say, "If you're gonna talk the talk you better walk the walk." Meaning, you can wear as many flags as you please, but if you're going to get rid of the Constitution, it really doesn't matter. (In relation to Christianity, there are a lot of people who go to church and claim to believe in Jesus, and then also believe in like, killing people. The whole point is that you can say whatever the heck you want, but your actions better reflect it.)

In response to burning the Constitution - dude, that's like asking if we should burn the Mona Lisa. Flags are everywhere, there is only one Constitution, and as such, it's not the same, and you know it. So don't bring up stuff like that when you know it's not the same, and are just trying to make a strawman argument for something you can't argue. I was never saying YOU were disobeying the Constitution. Just saying that I don't think respecting the flag makes you a Patriot unless he is respecting the Constitution as well, which, since I don't know this guy and don't know his views on things, have no idea if he's doing. All this story tells us is that he is glorifying a piece of cloth that would mean nothing without the Constitution, the Declaration of Independence, etcetc.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 11:53 PM
link   

In response to burning the Constitution - dude, that's like asking if we should burn the Mona Lisa. Flags are everywhere, there is only one Constitution

wrong !!!!

every American Flag is but one flag !!!

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Most people agree that patriotism involves service to their country, but many disagree on how to best perform such service. Some believe that the national government speaks for a country.
Therefore, all its citizens should not actively support government policies and actions. It's no like you have actually voted for those guys

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 01:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by boondock-saint

pardon my short response
but what would you call it then ???

Patriotism seems more of a word you apply to someone who did an act of great valor.. Like facing off hundreds of enemy soldiers even though you had a chance to retreat.

Not just picking up a flag and folding it. But that's a good thing too.

I just think more of soldiers in wars when I hear the word patriot, not some guy who picked a flag up.. or some of these very loose applications I've seen.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 01:35 AM
link   

Patriotism seems more of a word you apply to someone who did an act of great valor.. Like facing off hundreds of enemy soldiers even though you had a chance to retreat.

Not just picking up a flag and folding it.

I think you misunderstand what Patriotism means.
What you describe as facing off hundreds of enemy soldiers
is called Heroism not Patriotism.

I just think more of soldiers in wars when I hear the word patriot, not some guy who picked a flag up.. or some of these very loose applications I've seen.

Did you also know that every military funeral there is a
American Flag draped across the soldiers casket and
as the casket is lowered the flag is held high
and then properly folded and given to next of kin?

You do not have to be a soldier to be a Patriot.
Any American who loves and supports his country
is a Patriot.

A patriot is someone whom feels or voices expressions of
patriotism, support for their country.

en.wikipedia.org...

[edit on 7-7-2010 by boondock-saint]

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 02:03 AM
link   

[edit on 7-7-2010 by boondock-saint]

I guess a patriot is also someone who doesn't know the difference between who/whom.....

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 02:06 AM
link   

I guess a patriot is also someone who doesn't know the difference between who/whom.....
I suppose you should take that up with wiki
as I just copied and pasted from their site.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 02:18 AM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

I would couple those two actually.

Seems like if you say "I'm American, I love America. I am a patriot" then you're just trying to stroke your own ego.

Like I said a feel good banner. Not used only by America of course.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 02:19 AM
link   
Oh god...

Since when did "patriot" mean "person that saves flags"?

I guess I don't have to do too much to be considered a patriot, then. I also love how this thread just turned into how wrong foreigners are for not knowing the meaning of the American flag. We don't care. I would rather some of you dudes just stuffed the flag down your own throat so it saves us from having to choke on your bullcrap.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 03:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Romantic_Rebel
reply to post by Trueman

Do you guys actually believe me and everyone of Hispanic origin is Illegal? Or are the both of you being sarcastic? I hope it's the latter.

NO my friend. The issue is the ILLEGAL PEOPLE, doesn't matter where they come from.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join