It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anti-Gravity propulsion: what good is it once out of a planet's gravity (in outer space)?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 03:00 PM
link   
I think the title says it all. If ufos use anti-gravity systems, what use are they when there is no gravity needed to be countered in outer space?

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by dlifesjrny

Good Question, but one with an easy and definitive answer.

1. Once you have accelerated in a direction, in the absence of gravity, you will continue in that direction, so you have no need for propulsion.

2. If you have a need for a course correction, then it means gravity has acted on your vessel, so you will have the propulsion you need via the anti-gravity.

3. The Universe is full of Gravity wells. It may be very weak as you traverse vast distances between things, but the Gravity is still there. As per #1, if you are that far into deep space you have no need for propulsion, your inertia is all you need.

4. In the absence of any other forces, a very small ion generator could accelerate you faster and faster. Each little push, no matter how miniscule would add velocity. So you could use anti-gravity for primary propulsion, and use a very small ion or conventional propulsion system for acceleration in deep space to make your trip shorter.

I hypothesize that the speed of light is easily attainable in deep space. Possibly even FTL (faster than light) because the Universe warps around you per Relativity Theory as you approach FTL. If you used the gravity of the sun to accelerate out of the Solar System, and then you provided a steady slow thrust, you would continually accelerate to infinity. You may not be able to observe that you are travelling FTL, but you may very well cover greater distances than expected by conventional vector math, and thus achieve FTL travel.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 03:12 PM
link   
maybe anti-gravity is used only for landing and ascent, but once they are in outer space they would use a kind of "warp drive" which would compress space-time infront of it and expand it behind it

just a thoery ofcourse because the public have never examined a real extraterrestrial ufo

[edit on 6-7-2010 by Kr0nZ]

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

I agree with you on almost all of that. Almost. If you continually accelerate then you encounter heavier and heavier resistance that you are correct, we cannot perceive, but you will never reach FTL. Einstein proved this. However, I too believe that in deep space Relativity may be proven somewhat incorrect as you may be sufficiently far from any gravity wells to resist your acceleration. I believe Light Speed is simply the "Escape Velocity" of the Universe itself, hence why you need an infinite amount of energy to acquire Light Speed. That said, we know of particles proven to exist sometime in the past few years called Tachyons that release Cherenkov radiation, and travel at FTL.

Here for some tachyon reading:
en.wikipedia.org...

We also know that once we reach C(Light Speed) that we would be essentially balanced on the top of an infinitely small razors edge. We cannot travel at C, rather we can only travel faster or slower. If we achieve FTL then we will have an equally difficult time reaching STL once we are traveling at FTL.

To answer the question posed by the thread, gravity acts on space itself. Geodesics shows that space warps in the presence of gravity wells. This is why light bends around suns and planets. IF we can make a gravity drive then we should be able to pull on space itself, much like pulling on a bed-sheet that is stapled around the edges, to go from one location to another. If we can update that sufficiently fast then we should be able to travel faster and faster, and perhaps acquire a distance that by conventional means would be FTL. However, since we are manipulating space itself then we actually are not traveling at FTL, only manipulating our location. We won't break or change the laws of physics, rather manipulate them to our best end.

Geodesics, loads of math:
en.wikipedia.org...

[edit on 6-7-2010 by memarf1]

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Generate your own "gravity well", science fiction can provide lots of hypotheticals/

second line

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 04:08 PM
link   
I've read a million times about multiple dimensions, in fiction as well as science.
You don't need to travel anywhere near light speed when you will learn to manipulate dimensional travel. Or hyperspace or something.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Sinter Klaas

Dimensional travel, at least the way science fiction writes about it, is completely theoretical and probably unlikely. M-Theory suggests 11 dimensions, 8 of which are on the highly micro scale. It doesn't make sense to change dimensions to go places.

Bending space, gravity drives, and FTL are all real research areas of possibility. Inter-dimensional travel doesn't make much sense.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by memarf1

Why does it not make so much sense ?

Do we know stuff that makes it impossible or do we just don't know ?

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Sinter Klaas

There is a "Multi-verse" Theory which makes it possible, but it's only a theory. The dimensional travel though is different. There are 11 proven dimensions in M-Theory, if you add another dimension the math breaks. Those additional 8 dimensions are on the quantum level though. So I guess if you are talking about Multi-verse then yes, it is possible, but interdimensional travel doesn't make sense unless you have that machine from "Honey I Shrunk The Kids".

haha.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by memarf1

I'm not talking about alternative realities or quantum level dimensions.
I thought quantum was a dimension.

I'm talking about one reality, but one of different frequencies.
Like Our world and a world where ghosts are from overlaying ours. So....

Everything lives here and now but we can not see each others we live on a different level of consience

I loved that movie. part 1 that is.

[edit on 7/7/2010 by Sinter Klaas]

join