It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US taxpayers' Afghan aid money buys rich Afghans' Dubai villas

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 02:58 PM
link   

US taxpayers' Afghan aid money buys rich Afghans' Dubai villas

rawstory.com

You already might have heard that it costs the United States $1 million for each solider per year in Afghanistan, to cover the cost of the soldiers' benefits, troop transports and other material. What you might not have heard is that your hard earned taxpayer dollars are also being used to buy well-connected Afghans posh villas in Dubai.

Der Spiegel remarks curtly, "Amid concerns that the money could be the result of corruption, American politicians have temporarily cut off aid to the Afghan
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 02:58 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/dee526038640.jpg[/atsimg]

...Huge amounts of money [are] regularly being secreted out of Afghanistan by plane in boxes and suitcases. According to some estimates, since 2007, at least $3 billion (€2.4 billion) in cash has left the country in this way. The preferred destination for these funds is Dubai, the tax haven in the Persian Gulf. And, given the fact that Afghanistan's total GDP amounts to the equivalent of $13.5 billion, there is no way that the funds involved in this exodus are merely the proceeds of legal business transactions...

It is clear that much more money is making its way out of Afghanistan through Kabul's airport than is being officially declared and logged. For example, important politicians and businesspeople can often board planes from the airport's special VIP area without being searched. And if customs officials do conduct a search and find a suitcase stuffed with millions of dollars in cash, people with powerful connections often step in to make sure that the luggage makes it out of the country with its owner -- no questions asked. "A couple phone calls are made," General Jabarkhel says with frustration in his voice, "and the person can carry on."

This is absolutely ridiculous but hardly surprising at all. It looks like American tax-dollars are spent on everything and everyone but Americans, while our rulers are pointing and laughing, "suckers". Why do we allow this to happen? Our system is now so corrupted that there is no viable way to end the corruption without wiping the slate clean and unfortunately, there is no way to wipe the slate clean as we have handed most of our rights over to the very same people who are cleaning our wallets out.

This is so maddening and frustrating, yet the majority of Americans don't see and refuse to look when you point it out to them. We are officially the most ignorant generation the world has ever seen, yet we are the generation with the best ability to overcome ignorance. What gives?

What really gets me, is that many families are going hungry just trying to afford their unwarranted taxes, yet our rulers (yes "rulers", not representatives as they don't represent us) deem it necessary to hand those tax dollars off to others that won't benefit the people in any way. We have to draw the line somewhere and unfortunately, until the majority of Americans wake from their ignorant stupor, there is nothing we can do about it.

It is more than obvious that this war is a farce, just as the war in Iraq is a farce and the soon to be war in Iran is a farce. We need to take our country back and prosecute those who are raping it.

--airspoon

rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 6-7-2010 by airspoon]

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Oh boy! Our tax dollars hard at work for us again!

You know...the more things change, the more they stay the same.
I wonder what the IRS would do if I claimed a tax refund for my share of this?
I know, 2 clones would show up at my door with nice shiny bracelets for my wrists and probably call me a terrorist before they send me to Gitmo.

Let's see, we pay for the bankers; We pay for Wall St.; We pay for Greece; and now we pay for rich Afghans housing projects. Hmmm, I think we are all in the wrong business. But wait, we all have more pride and integrity than that.

I think I did read something about Congress placing hold on any further payments to the Afghans, but we all know how they work. I truly wish that I could count on the upcoming midterm elections to change something.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Par for the course. Did we really expect that it would go any other way? You know, instead of more nation-building, I think it's high time we cut our loses there both militarily and financially, bring the troops home, tie down our borders, take our lumps, and fix the U.S. How much more of this are the U.S. citizens going to take? (And I still want to know if there's a U.S. Embassy in Afghanistan that rivals the one in Baghdad but I'm afraid to look.)

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by airspoon

Totally agreed, hardly surprising at all. But once these guys are out of oil, all of that will quickly become deserted wasteland just like remote Soviet cities.

We are probably among the last generations who have had the opportunity to personally witness or even get close to this absurd luxury. I have no doubt that 18th century French aristocracy would envy much of our lives. But all of that will suffer abrupt and dramatic termination

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by SassyCat

I don't think there is much oil in Afghanistan, though I get your point.
Second line.

--airspoon

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by airspoon
I don't think there is much oil in Afghanistan, though I get your point.

huge veins of iron, copper, cobalt, gold and critical industrial metals like lithium — are so big and include so many minerals that are essential to modern industry that Afghanistan could eventually be transformed into one of the most important mining centers in the world, the United States officials believe.

www.nytimes.com...
U.S. Identifies Vast Mineral Riches in Afghanistan

Nope... not oil this time.

Sri Oracle

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 03:44 PM
link   

I meant Dubai, sorry for confusion. If there wasn't oil there in the first place, they would only dream of having those houses and enjoying the fruits of high level corruption

[edit on 6/7/2010 by SassyCat]

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 04:38 PM
link   
What the . . . ? Was that a relative of Uncle Sams', stepping on the throat
of Joe Average again ?

You know Joe . . . everybody knows Joe . . . that American individual of no
consequence . . . that always seems to need something but never gets a
thing.

He's just not political enough ! And he's too . . domestic.

SO SEND THE MONEY AWAY ! WE'RE JUST NOT IMPORTANT ENOUGH !

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 04:44 PM
link   
America seems to fund, benefit, and assist EVERYBODY ELSE EXCEPT ITS OWN LEGAL AMERICAN CITIZENS!!!

[color=cyan]WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON HERE????!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Sadly, this probably isn't even the half of it. This is only the tip of the ice-berg. Remember the lost trillions (with a "T") of dollars that the Pentagon announced the day before 9/11? If this is only what has been leaked or uncovered, just think about what hasn't been uncovered.

--airspoon

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Yep, and billions on a pallet headed for Iraq. To stimulate jobs there for Iraqis. And billions out of Saddam's treasury too if I recall. Mind boggling. Kind of why I don't even want to know anymore...afraid my head may explode.

Remember this site? Where is the Money? And their source site.

[edit on 6-7-2010 by ~Lucidity]

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 05:48 PM
link   
I hope no one here is actually surprised by this.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 08:24 PM
link   
I doubt that many people here on ATS would be surprised but I would bet that most Americans could never even imagine this to be true. They would probably tell themselves that the government had no idea and that they will now make sure that it couldn't happen again.

--airspoon

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 08:26 PM
link   
It seems that everything is happening again. And then some. Doesn't even seem as though there's been a change.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 08:35 PM
link   
I wonder if Gen. McChrystal had anything
to do with this before he resigned.

This is just disgusting, no wonder
we're broke.

The fleecing of America needs
to be in full swing.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 08:52 PM
link   
The only reason I pay this slave tax is because I fear the loss of my liberty and pursuit of happiness. Go figure. Our Constitution as great as it was is now a failure and that is the truth of it. Sadly it has failed to prevent tyranny and corruption.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 11:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Xeven

Our Constitution would have worked if we wouldn't have sidelined it. If only we had abided by the document and held accountable those who didn't, we would not have this current tyranny. It is because our generation and the generation directly before ours fell asleep at the wheel and didn't live up to our responsability, that tyranny has crept in. There is nothing wrong with the Constitution, the problem lies with us.

--airspoon

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 11:32 PM
link   
WTF is wrong with our governemnt? woman was raped thier earlier this year was it? and she was hed accoutnable, saying she shuldnt have dressed the way she did. now OUR tax money is going to this pathetic overlavendish disgusting rape place. thier is NO recovery for jobs or markets. as the saying goes, the rich get richer and the poor get poorer. as long as yuo are rich, yuo can have endless amounts of funneled money ripped for the public. thats all current capitalsim has taught me.
work labor violations will get worse, full time jobs may be eliminated, and those like CEOS wil be ones, laughing at us after doing all the hard labor for peanuts so they can keep going to the bank
while the rest of us,s tarve or struggle to make ends meet. current capitlasim and business has nearly bought american down to its knees, and raped liberty jsutice ten fold

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 11:36 PM
link   
I REALLY despise and hate dubais* that place just looknig at it, reeks of arrogence, much like the TRUMP tower in my city. i really wish, so much wish, and earthquake of devastating proportions hits dubias, and levels it below the seafloor*

top topics

<<   2 >>

join