It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How are the SSD's performing.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 02:42 PM
link   
This question is directed to Skeptic. so its been several months so i was interested once again as i had already asked in the past how are the SSD's performing. Have you en counted any out of the ordinary issues. I had already asked you in the past, but since my time to replace my hdd's is ever so approaching i was wondering if you could supply me with any feed back

Sincerely

Tristar

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Are you referring to solid state disk drives? I have heard that they're excellent for seek & reading, but have crappy random writes.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 02:53 PM
link   
yes am referring to sold state drives. Seeing that this site is using such drives and given its hits i thought it appropriate to ask as to how they are performing.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 03:06 PM
link   
I have in my system:

128GB Corsair SSD

500GB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm

300GB WD Velociraptor 10,000rpm

benchmarked them all a while back and it went: (fastest to slowest)

Read

1. WD
2. Corsair
3. Seagate

Write
1. WD
2. Seagate
3. Corsair

IMO The velociraptor is by far the fastest drive (even though it annoyingly gives a lower WMI Rating than the SSD)

EDIT: I forgot to include the 2TB USB Drive, which is also seagate, but its USB, so it would be at the bottom of both lists anyway, lol.

However, i'm reckoning with the introduction of SATA III, and advancements in the SSD tech will probably see the end of the poor ol' hard drive soon, as long as the price comes down, lol.

[edit on 6/7/10 by woogleuk]

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by woogleuk

However, i'm reckoning with the introduction of SATA III, and advancements in the SSD tech will probably see the end of the poor ol' hard drive soon, as long as the price comes down, lol.

Indeed.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 03:20 PM
link   
The gen 1 drives are much slower than the newer ones. The sandforce controller has made a big difference in the speeds. The newer ones are faster than the Velociraptor in all respects (however, more expensive).

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Pylon

how expensive, do you have a quick or rough price ?

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by tristar

60GB you're looking around $200. From there, double the GB and double the price (roughly).

(Canadian)
ncix.com...

(US)
www.newegg.com...

Earlier generations go for $50 cheaper (depending on sales). Most people are using SSDs right now for boot drives given the price.

[edit on 6-7-2010 by Pylon]

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by tristar

go here and click shop online for a comparison

www.corsair.com...

[edit on 6/7/10 by woogleuk]

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Thanks for the links, will be going over them later on.

new topics

top topics

join