It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Real names coming to Battle.net forums!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Recently, we introduced our new Real ID feature - www.battle.net... , a new way to stay connected with your friends on the new Battle.net. Today, we wanted to give you a heads up about our plans for Real ID on our official forums, discuss the design philosophy behind the changes we’re making, and give you a first look at some of the new features we’re adding to the forums to help improve the quality of conversations and make the forums an even more enjoyable place for players to visit.

The first and most significant change is that in the near future, anyone posting or replying to a post on official Blizzard forums will be doing so using their Real ID -- that is, their real-life first and last name -- with the option to also display the name of their primary in-game character alongside it. These changes will go into effect on all StarCraft II forums with the launch of the new community site prior to the July 27 release of the game, with the World of Warcraft site and forums following suit near the launch of Cataclysm. Certain classic forums, including the classic Battle.net forums, will remain unchanged.

forums.battle.net...

I don't even know how to properly describe the insanity that must be gripping Blizzard right now, to put every single players info out there on the forums if they post is just insane. Right now forums across the internet are on fire discussing this move and I figured ATS being fairly privacy minded at times would be a good place to talk about it as well, so what are your thoughts people?

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Wat blizzard game do u play?
I play Warcraft 3 the frozen throne.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 10:02 AM
link   
I've been playing World of Warcraft since September of 2005 and I'm not sure I will be paying for the game come November when the new expansion ships given the changes that have taken place at Blizzard, yet again Bobby Kotick ruins something...

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 11:31 AM
link   
I was gunna buy starcraft II but.......Not anymore Damn blizzard why you gotta ruin it.

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 01:03 PM
link   
www.wow.com...

Mike Morhaime has announced that they have reverted the decision to use real names on the forums, hopefully the reminder that their customers were NOT happy about this sticks with them for a long while and keeps them in check, however I fear as long as Bobby Kotick is CEO of Activision that the customers are always at risk.

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 01:51 PM
link   
I do not see the big deal. There are plenty of fanboy forums for blizzards games that you can easily go to one that lets you make up your own name. Sadly i will no longer be able to ask the the relatives of dead players if their family member dropped any good loot whenever they post some thread about how player X has passed away.

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 08:12 PM
link   
I heard a rumor that a Mod on the WOW forums posted his name to show people that it was safe only to have his real name,address and phone number posted back to him.about 50 times in the first 10 minutes.lol..could just be a rumor...but who knows...

posted on Jul, 9 2010 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by baddmove

That was no rumor, however the blizzard mod staff went through and deleted every copy of that information posted however I think it hit home to them just how bad having names displayed would be.

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 07:23 AM
link   
Even though the move has been reversed, it's times like these I am glad I quit the World of Warcraft. A truly never-ending game that completely consumes your time.

I've been clean for 2 months and have found so much extra time to play other games and do other things. Try and quit before you are lured by the content of the new expansion!

[edit on 11/7/2010 by Dark Ghost]

top topics

join