It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Illegal Immigration Costs U.S. $113 Billion a Year, Study Finds

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 08:39 PM
link   
So when I served on a Grand Jury
We handed down over 50 True Bills a day
against Illegal Aliens.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by hotpinkurinalmint
reply to post by nine-eyed-eel

The problem is, even though about 10% of America is out of work many of those people would not be willing to do the jobs illegal aliens do for anywhere near the pay illegal aliens get. Unemployed MBA's are not going to want to clean toilets for minimum wage or even twice minimum wage. College graduates are not going to want to pick strawberries when they can just move back home and mooch off their parents.

If no one is willing to do the jobs, then the jobs better start paying more.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by hotpinkurinalmint

The lowest I ever scored on an IQ test was 145 (I won't even mention my education, thanks) and three weeks ago I was applying for a minimum wage job as a janitor in a nursing home...

I think MBAs would take any job if the choice was work-or-starve, and I think the American economy would somehow magically survive without the current ridiculous open border charade...Let's try to do without illegals, just for fun, as an experiment, and see how it works out...

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by wutone

If the jobs illegal aliens performed starting "paying more" we would all be paying much more for goods and services. For example, produce would be more expensive in order to pay for field hands' 401k's. Child care would become more expensive and many mothers would opt to stay home because they could no longer afford to pay a nanny.

Do you think our economy could survive these price shocks if all the illegal aliens were rounded up and deported tomorrow?

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 08:56 PM
link   
reply to post by nine-eyed-eel

There are also people like my brother who is also an MBA and currently unemployed. He is living off his savings and doing some consulting work here and there. I cannot people like him doing any janitorial work any time soon. If all the illegal aliens were deported tomorrow, his job prospects would not be helped.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 08:56 PM
link   

No, the truth does not lie somewhere in the middle. We have laws. Laws that exist for good reason.

The fact that 11 million (or whatever the most recent number is) illegal aliens were assisted over the border from both sides by people with some agenda that had NOTHING to do with the good of American or her people doesn't negate that. Anchor babies? Spare me.

They didn't change the law because that would never fly, so they broke it and enabled the breaking of it and thought well by the time anyone notices it will be too late. Oh dear well amnesty is the answer...we'll just have to suck it up and take that too.

There are legal ways to come to this country. We don't say no, we say do it right. Within the law.

This is a black and white issue.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 09:00 PM
link   

It will survive just as well or even better than with all the price shocks that society has to undergo to pay for illegal immigrants.

I would rather pay an American citizen more for mowing my lawn or caring for my kid than paying a Mexican citizen more for health-care or incarceration.

The costs will rear their head one way or another. Just because an illegal low pay to do something doesn't mean someone isn't going to pay the piper. Either the person desiring the service pays the cost, or society pays the cost. Actually it is pretty greedy for someone to use illegal labor to save themselves money because they should know they are passing the costs on to the rest of society.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 09:01 PM
link   

According to their site, the AMERICAN Farm Workers union gets them $9-$17 and hour. That's a helluva lot more than the minimum wage American unemployed are being told to go out and work for.

In addition, we have our Secretary of Labor making commercials telling illegals they DESERVE a fair wage and how to get help. When's the last time someone went to bat for the American worker?

In addition, what kind of taxes do they pay on this? How does that work? Does the government collect money from illegals?
they know where they are? I'm so confused.

I was also confused about how when they used "other people's" social security numbers to work, the government didn't red flag Jane Smith working for two different companies in two different states.

Or how they didn't correlate the fact that money was being collected from fake SSNs.

See...they never really WANTED to stop this.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by ~Lucidity
When's the last time someone went to bat for the American worker?

that would be Ross Perot in 1992

he was exactly correct
and most folks thought he was
a quack. I voted for him.

[edit on 6-7-2010 by boondock-saint]

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 10:07 PM
link   
I voted for him as well. It truly is a sad state of affairs to have watched all this unfold in our lifetime. The systematic dismantling of what was once a very good thing for everyone. So many lies, so much contradiction, so much defying of logic. And why did we allow it to happen? I just don't get it.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 10:16 PM
link   

I voted for him as well. It truly is a sad state of affairs to have watched all this unfold in our lifetime. The systematic dismantling of what was once a very good thing for everyone. So many lies, so much contradiction, so much defying of logic. And why did we allow it to happen? I just don't get it.

DAMN
I thought I was the only one that voted for him
you did too

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by guohua

DAMN
I thought I was the only one that voted for him
you did too

lol
well that accounts for 3 of his votes.

But seriously every point Perot makes
about NAFTA has come to pass. He reminds
me so much of Ron Paul in his thinking.

Perot and Paul do not look presidential
but we're not suppose to vote for who
looks or sounds the part. It's what good
they are gonna do the country.

Perot showed that in 92
and Paul is showing it again now.
Will America refuse to listen this time
or will history repeat itself as it did to
Perot?

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by nine-eyed-eel
The lowest I ever scored on an IQ test was 145 (I won't even mention my education, thanks) and three weeks ago I was applying for a minimum wage job as a janitor in a nursing home...

wow, 145 ???
that's pretty impressive
I'm jealous

us ignernt country rednecks usually
calculate our IQ by how many
holes are in the soles of our boots

So on a redneck scale that puts me
about a 3
I get a diploma when I get
to 5

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 11:03 PM
link   
reply to post by guohua

I will volunteer to burn some. It is my patriotic duty.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 11:08 PM
link   
In Mesa AZ. I tried to work as an independent house painter. I had to work for less than minimum wage to compete with the illegal aliens doing the same thing. Don't anyone tell me they do the work Americans won't do.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by zroth

Lady Liberty still means something to me.

You do know that was the French that made all that up right??

I don't remember anything in our Constitution that said anything she said.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 11:13 PM
link   
I wonder how much money is made off illegal immigrants? If no one hires them then they will go home. Yet, I see these guys picking them up every single day. We need to cut the head off this snake. That means tough fines and jail time for people who hire illegals.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to post by guohua

*Cough* intollerant *cough*

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 11:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Come Clean

Haven't we constantly heard of steps being taken to do this? Yet it seems they're still working. Fact is, someone WANTS them working. And we're being fed even more lies.

Banks don't even require a SSN from illegals when they open an account. Yet, under the Patriot Act, I as an American citizen cannot open an account without one?

[edit on 7/6/2010 by ~Lucidity]

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 11:16 PM
link   
You're taking your only sources from a conservative site reporting on a report by a conservative organisation, that immediately raises a flag in the bias department. Next up it also mentions illegals actually contribute a lot to the economy too. The issue isnt as open and shut as 'they are living off our money and taking jobs' they bring a lot too, its never as open and shut as you think. If you want to get rid of them, get everyone to boycott using illegal labour as nannys, contractors, don't go to walmart, vote with your wallet. Problem with america is they want to keep all their exact jobs, yet want everything cheap which doesnt work with the amount they want to be paid. Punish the companies, the people are just trying to better their lives (yes they commit a crime, but they'll keep doing it while there is an advantage).

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join