It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wikileaks video leaker charged

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Wikileaks video leaker charged

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/8b01a26c6a8e.jpg[/atsimg]

Baghdad, Iraq (CNN) --
The U.S. military has charged a soldier in Iraq who is suspected of
leaking a helicopter attack video that shows civilian deaths, the
Pentagon said Tuesday.

Pfc. Bradley E. Manning, 22, of Potomac, Maryland, is being detained
in Kuwait and faces charges on eight violations of the U.S. Criminal
Code for allegedly illegally transferring classified data, according to a
charge sheet released by the military.

It accuses Manning of "wrongfully introducing a classified video of a
military operation filmed at or near Baghdad, Iraq, on or about 12
July 2007, onto his personal computer, a non-secure information
system."

www.cnn.com...

[edit on 6-7-2010 by boondock-saint]

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 01:08 PM
link   
well the US Army finally charged Manning with 8 counts
of transferring classified documents.

Now what is Assange gonna do ???
Your move

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 01:13 PM
link   
the longer this drama goes on the more i suspect that this whole thing is just a ruse to smoke out potential whistleblowers..too many things just do not add up.

i truelly hope not but when i have a gut feeling like this it usually means something..

and its not bad fish.

~meathead

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Mike Stivic

meat
I did notice the US Army DID NOT charge him
with giving the files to Wikileaks !!! They just charged
him with transferring the documents to his personal
unsecured computer.

Maybe there was a plea deal behind the scenes between
US Army and Wikileaks that they wouldn't press
charges of spying and treason if Wikileaks didn't
publish those cables.

[edit on 6-7-2010 by boondock-saint]

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 01:26 PM
link   
This is quite possibly the worst part of America. They are going to lock up a kid that told the truth.

He didn't make it true but he will be found guilty for reporting the truth.

Live in FEAR!

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 01:29 PM
link   
there is always that possability, however it also could be that assange is an asset and the video they released was a "confidence builder" for the whistleblower community. and the promise of these cables is just a way of making others feel comfortable releasing information to wikileaks. so they can be easily "handled" by tptb..

however i must make it clear i have no evidence just a feeling

the worst part is we may never know...

~meathead

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mike Stivic
the longer this drama goes on the more i suspect that this whole thing is just a ruse to smoke out potential whistleblowers..too many things just do not add up.

i truelly hope not but when i have a gut feeling like this it usually means something..

and its not bad fish.

~meathead

Exactly, I wonder why Assange keeps saying he didn't get the cables that this guy is now going to prison for?

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by zroth
This is quite possibly the worst part of America. They are going to lock up a kid that told the truth.

u r quite right

my daddy use to say:
the truth shall set you free

however not in this case.

But I want Bradley to know that
some out here in the world think
he's a hero and deserves a medal,
not a prison sentence.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by hippomchippo
I wonder why Assange keeps saying he didn't get the cables that this guy is now going to prison for?

it may be part of the plea deal between Wiki and the US Army.
They may have said that he can't admit to having them to
save Bradley from a firing squad.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Look...I have no proof myself, as well.

But if you want a good idea on what has me "thinking critically" here, you can look at this document on Wikileaks itself.

U.S Intel Plans to Destroy Wikileaks,

Heres a quote from wikileak's page on said document.

It concocts a plan to fatally marginalize the organization. Since WikiLeaks uses ``trust as a center of gravity by protecting the anonymity and identity of the insiders, leakers or whistleblowers, the report recommends ``The identification, exposure, termination of employment, criminal prosecution, legal action against current or former insiders, leakers, or whistleblowers could potentially damage or destroy this center of gravity and deter others considering similar actions from using the WikiLeaks.org

IF wikileaks is legit, then it is easy to consider this Manning guy as a paid fall-guy to damage wikileak's creditbility and its "trust value".

But-

I myself, do not trust Wikileaks, and sense many people are being lead down a trapped road.

Not for one second do I suppose some secret man-o-mystery (who lives in a backpack with a satellite uplink) is operating freely and unobtainable by any authority, while here merrily spreads sensitive documents unharmed.

Nope...do not buy.

I do not have any reason to even believe Manning is real.

This entire product seems to be a front for something much more sinister and spun by rich hands to achieve an agenda.

People boo me when I boo wikileaks...

But put me on the record under-

"Mask sees fishyness afoot".

Oh, and- Thanks for posting this.

[edit on 6-7-2010 by Mr Mask]

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 03:13 PM
link   
You see? This is the kind of crap I'm always going on about. People being locked up for speaking the truth. Hell, sometimes its not even being "Locked Up" depending on what it is. Back then, "Intimidation, Death Threats, Silencing (Suicided)" because people were getting too close to the truth.

This is EXACTLY why my respect for my country is at 0. I won't join in my family's "join the military" trend, because of this!.

Sorry, but this isn't the Cold War. It's ENDED. 1945-1960. Instead of seeing a lot of Transparency in the end, its become the opposite. Shrouded by an Enigma. Everything from "Irresponsible war crimes, peaceful new energy tech that could end poverty, whats in our airspace, whats in space, to everything from 1st Contact Signals to ET". And all of this is laid up on the table of National Security.

The next time they tell us, "It's under a Need to Know Basis", we tell them, "ITS OUR RIGHT TO KNOW" and remind them that WE are the ones that help FUND their PROJECTS!

As far as this video goes, keeping it away from the people was a big mistake, just like how they decided to keep Roswell secret. And yes, Truth sometimes hurts, but when you Lie, its only going to produce more rage and distrust with the people.

I'm now disposing of all my american flags, screw this crap.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by QuantumDeath
I'm now disposing of all my American flags, screw this crap.

hey you can send your flags to me.
I'll take them

I still believe in the system
just not the PEOPLE who run it.

One day, those flags will fly high once again.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 04:37 PM
link   
As much as our anti-establishment members may get into an uproar over this, what that soldier did was wrong.

You cannot have personnel who are able to access confidential and restricted data, downloading videos onto their personal computers and then blasting them all over the web, regardless of the content.

If you think this is revenge, ok, but he plainly broke the rules he swore to uphold.

For the record the military has released plenty of attack videos of their own volition showing them killing innocent civilians, from the 500lb LGB they dropped in the middle of a crowd of civilians fleeing a gun fight in Iraq, to the A-10 attack video where they killed a British soldier.

Show me an official Russian video from the Chechnya conflict or a Chinese video from Tibet where they do that.

[edit on 6-7-2010 by Retseh]

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Retseh
If you think this is revenge, ok, but he plainly broke the rules he swore to uphold.

he also took an oath to the constitution.
And he has a moral obligation to root out
ALL enemies, even the domestic ones.
He kept his oath !!!

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 04:49 PM
link   
It's too "hot" for them to go aggressively on the charges...for this stage of their "investigation". If something else happens regarding the other documents Wikleaks supposedly has, they deal a second blow.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Granite
It's too "hot" for them to go aggressively on the charges...for this stage of their "investigation". If something else happens regarding the other documents Wikleaks supposedly has, they deal a second blow.

u may be right

as I stated in my follow up post
it's Assange's move now

Black Knight to Bishop 3

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Not to destroy everybody in this thread "zomg I think wikileaks made a plea deal" Nope... Go to there twitter page and near the bottom it says "upcoming release needs very large US banner print&drop. experience? contact [email protected] 8:47 PM Jul 2nd" ... They're still leaking something major.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Some people know the price they'll pay for telling the truth, expect it before they utter it in fact. They know what will happen if they tell the truth, but know the truth must be told, and if not by them, then who?

They are simply willing to pay the price to get the word out, like Ed and Elaine Brown, for instance. Uttering the truth in an age such as this requires the realization of an acceptable risk, and the FULL willingness to pay it beforehand.

If the information wasn't real, there would be no qualms at all...on either side.

So, ask yourself: Would EITHER side of this issue be doing what they're doing if they thought this information was anything less than pivotal?!?

Sure, they want to scare the crap out of whistle-blowers (why wouldn't they?), and this boy will certainly be made an example of because of it, but I guarantee everyone intimately involved in this weighed the consequences of their choices thoroughly, before ever saying ANYTHING.

It's ridiculously easy to figure out who are the bad guys (with something to hide), and who are the good guys trying to shed some light on what the bad guys are trying to hide. My 10 year old Nephew could have figured this out, just from his experience on the playground.

No one cares anyway...as long as it's not happening to them (like they'd have the GUTS to do what this KID did anyway, lol).

EDIT: S&F, and Hats Off to this BOY, the epitome of what we should ALL be, and ONLY a Private First Class at that.

[edit on 6-7-2010 by lagnar]

posted on Jul, 11 2010 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

You know...that's an extremely good point...my whole life my parents have told me telling the truth is he right thing to do...lies will get me in trouble, and telling the truth will get me rewarded...but yet, here a person is giving truth to the world, and the "system" decides he deserves to be locked up...regardless of how he came about the footage, or where he found it, he still found something that other people were hiding because THEY KNEW if people found it they could be in big trouble...so when someone does find it, they turn it around, they punish that person, and make him look like the one in the wrong, and any person looking to uncover the corruption and scheming that goes on behind the scenes might think twice before they try to give some truth to the world, thus adding another layer to the defenses of those who hide things they don't want us to see.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 08:29 PM
link   
A link to the latest on PFC Manning,
It seems he was given away by a fellow blogger.

www.bbc.co.uk...

As for any charges on cables, it's seems too tricky, unless they can find them on Mannings own PC.

An earlier Guardian report,
www.guardian.co.uk...

[edit on 14-7-2010 by smurfy]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join