It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to get yourself internet?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 12:43 PM
link   
When u get internet, u are borrowing it from the distributer, whether it be Comcast, AT&T, or other. But where do they get the internet? How do they connect to the internet? Why cant i just hook up to the internet some way without the need of a "parent" giving it to me?

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 01:28 AM
link   
here are a few good reads regarding the internet:

How does the Internet work

How Internet infrastructure works

basically, those distributors are what their name says they are. they distribute data to and from your computer on to the net at large. what you're doing is not borrowing, you are paying rent to use their infrastructure so that your data can traverse the net.

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 01:07 PM
link   
The reason why you have to pay a service provider is because they have to run millions of lines of wire, pay for use of satellites, set up routers and switches, pay engineers and technicians to maintain it, pay sales people to create customers, etc.

This is really no different of a question than why do you have to pay a phone company to use a phone or a cable company to watch cable TV. You cant just plug into a wall, or turn on a cell, without first setting up an account with a provider. You have to create a client account to provide you with service.

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by wheresthetruth
The reason why you have to pay a service provider is because they have to run millions of lines of wire, pay for use of satellites, set up routers and switches, pay engineers and technicians to maintain it, pay sales people to create customers, etc.

This is really no different of a question than why do you have to pay a phone company to use a phone or a cable company to watch cable TV. You cant just plug into a wall, or turn on a cell, without first setting up an account with a provider. You have to create a client account to provide you with service.

That is unless you are the government ,then you "just have the internet".

Sorry, just kidding.

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Oneolddude

Originally posted by wheresthetruth

That is unless you are the government ,then you "just have the internet".

Sorry, just kidding.

Ah naw! Come on now. There is a little bit a truth in every just kidding. I figure they have internet where its impossible to get for most folks, via satelite or something. They probably have world wi-fi.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Voyager1
They probably have world wi-fi.

Yep...its called Satellites In Orbit.

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 11:45 PM
link   

found here

[edit on 8.10.10 by toreishi]

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 02:07 AM
link   
So all the digging and trying to drill into this huge pipe-thing in my yard isn't going to yeild me any free Internet?

Sheesh, there's four days I'll never get back.

posted on Aug, 25 2010 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Here is an interesting concept. I have long speculated that internet is possible over the power cord that your computer is plugged into at the wall. It seems not so far fetched now.

computer.howstuffworks.com...

new topics

top topics

join