It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Radiation Emergency - Prepare Yourselves For Gulf Oil Syndrome

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by indigothefish

All Military units, State Federal and local epa,FEMA, Coast Guard vessels, and obviously Nuclear power plants and Hospitals with nuclear medicine capabilities have testing and monitoring equiptment. You can buy a badge monitor on line for $30-$40. All of the above agencies should be testing the air, surface oil and deep oil but the way this whole deal is being run they might not tell anyone if they do find high levels. You can also buy a geiger counter for under $300.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 06:39 PM
link   
The EPA release an analysis of Corexit last week. I wonder if they're even monitoring for this? Surely they'd think of it....

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

Or they thought about it, and decided (or were told) not to tell us about it? Just a theory. The EPA seems to be much more mute on all of this than I think they should be.

Originally posted by Gorman91
reply to post by Alxandro

In order for me to believe this, you have to explain to me how an unstable item like oil, which cannot even survive a match fire, can survive radiation, which is a whole lot more worse than fire for oil.

How can oil stay oil if it is being berated by sub atomic particles?

Radiation and fire are very different things. Just because someting is irradiated doesn't mean that it will break down like a fire breaks down wood.

However... the stuff spewing out of the BP well didn't look very much like oil... remember all that orange and yellow stuff we all saw? Wish I could get some sample of that stuff.

[edit on 6-7-2010 by DamaSan]

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 07:11 PM
link   

BP obviously drilled into something big, something that continues to gush out in full force even after 70 plus days.
This can only mean that that the oil is coming from some continuous source deep within the Earth's surface.

I'm not sure that is worded accurately. Some estimates for that specific reserve are 5-10 BILLION barrels of crude, so obviously it will take a VERY long time to see it lose pressure. I mean, perhaps you are correct, but it is hardly a forgone conclusion based on your first sentence .

May I suggest re-wording it to say "This MAY mean "?

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Yes, BP drilled into the massive oil reserve that is under the gulf and since the oil well is what broke, it is going to continue to leak forever until someone stops it. Much worse than a tanker, which has limited space.

But wow... radiation... that is something new. It was a super-deep well, and I have heard of the methane levels being elevated.

[edit on 6-7-2010 by darkbake]

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 07:14 PM
link   
If the oil is so radioactive it can cause widespread cancer after only brief contact (such as temporary clean up workers) how come the THOUSANDS upon THOUSANDS of oil workers aren’t dropping dead due to this "radiation"??

While I love "mother Earth" as much as the spiritual hippie gangs around here, and I decry the setback in the Gulf....I'm not going to sit here and read nothing more than ignorant fear mongering any longer. And that is what this thread is.

You guys keep crying your eyes out, damning "big oil" and "the man" while you live the great lives that you are. Things are not THAT bad. Things are so good in fact; we have to have places like this to turn to so we can get our "fix" of imaginary badness.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by IgnoreTheFacts

Radiation sickness doesn't come upon a person or kill them fast. Radiation levels build up in a body. As someone a few posts up said, people routinely exposes wear detectors that measure how much they've been exposed to, and when it reaches a certain level, they stop exposure and if they're already overexposed they're treated.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Gorman91

en.wikipedia.org...

en.wikipedia.org...

Oxidation and Radioactive decay are apples and oranges, I hope you aren't home schooling any children lol.

Not that the average person with a BS in education would have a clue either, but this is grade school science.

[edit on 6-7-2010 by LightBright]

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 08:03 PM
link   
As far as the mental state of the people in the GOM, this article is going to be the first of a long line of sad endings.

www.pnj.com...

Sorry if this article has been posted before.

[edit on 6-7-2010 by spacecase7717]

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Kudos, for you and a star and flag for a very well written and presented presentation, and a thought provoking one as well. These are some very important points to consider and contemplate, and I think it’s highly important for concerned individuals to do their own research.

The long and short of it, is that most of us, are classified by the Government and the Powers that Be as ‘worthless eaters’.

No official effort is going to be made to keep the public well informed or safeguarded in relation to this or any other disaster. Recent history certainly displays that.

People are after all an easily renewable resource too in the scheme of things.

As someone who lives close to the Gulf of Mexico (Miami) this spill is a huge concern for me. Like many of us, I am not quite sure how to best respond because of the lack of real information.

Yet, unlike most people who rely on the mainstream news and official sources, I realize that good information is only something that comes through good, honest, diligent, and unbiased research.

Thanks so much for taking the time in doing that, and laying out some real information, without all the fear mongering. Real information will in fact lead to its own conclusions without the sensationalism that is often so rampant and the primary focus of so many of these original pieces regarding the Crisis in the Gulf.

Hopefully more members will learn from and follow your excellent example on putting together real and critical information and presenting it in a cautionary way that still encourages the reader to investigate and decide for them selves.

Great job, thanks!

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 08:38 PM
link   
reply to post by DamaSan

well didn't look very much like oil... remember all that orange and yellow stuff we all saw?

that's just filter of video cam, i think.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Well, since gas comes from oil, i guess my gas for my car gives off radiation. So everyone who has a radiation meter can see how much radiation there gas gives off. I guess everyone who drives a car has been exsposed to this, RIGHT? AND DON'T TELL ME IT'S BEEN REFINED AND THE RADS ARE OUT OF IT. We all have been exsposed then. When should i sue?

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by nite owl

heh
you get gas from safe storage where is only gas, but that wellbore leads to place with different chemical matter.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Masinger

Originally posted by hawaiinguy12
Can we get a REAL news source please? I cant take some random website ive never heard of and believe it. Thats like taking everything on Alex Jones website and believing it without looking at a real news source

Honestly, I think AJ deserves more credit than he gets. He prevents chaos in a way by observing possibilities.

But yeah, if the oil was radioactive, we'd have much more massive evacs, making it international news immediately.

You.

Originally posted by hawaiinguy12
Can we get a REAL news source please? I cant take some random website ive never heard of and believe it. Thats like taking everything on Alex Jones website and believing it without looking at a real news source

And you.

Be careful, your posts lead me assume that you have faith that the Mainstream Media is credible and honest, and that the government has our immediate best interest at heart.

This mentality is dangerous.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 08:58 PM
link   
reply to post by SarK0Y

ahhh, DEISLE, AND DON'T SAY IT DOES NOT COME FROM OIL

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by nite owl

diesel, benzine etc are gotten with different techs of separation of crude
however, i don't consider that gusher gives radioactive matter so much, but, no doubt, there're quite enough different strong-toxic chemicals.

[edit on 6-7-2010 by SarK0Y]

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 09:26 PM
link   

One of the issues with the Exxon Valdez spill though is that if the oil was really radioactive then the beaches should STILL be radioactive. In alot of places up here in Prince Williams Sound (Where I just fished a few weeks ago) you can dig down a few inches and see the oil right there.

Thing is, if it's radioactive it should be having a long-term effect on wildlife and the sound's ecosystems in general. Granted, the oil itself did kill alot of wildlife at the time but if the oil was indead radioactive then it should still be.

However, you can rest assured that Prince Williams sound is A - O.K.

I actually caught a limit of halibut and about 16 pacific cod not a dozen miles from the exact site the tanker ran aground. But my point is that if the oil is radioactive it still should be.. Yet there is more life in the sound than there's ever been. People are still catching lots of shrimp, cod, halibut, you name it. And when we were there we saw lots of dolphins, seabirds, sea lions, eagles and about a half-dozen humback whales in a period of 2 days.

The radioactivity would've killed alot of that wildlife in the sound by now if it is still there (and we know the oil is). And even if it isn't in every nook and cranny it could easily throw a wrench into the entire ecosystem if it was capable of killing off all the humans that worked to clean up the spill. Thing is, that isn't what we're seeing right now.. Even at the site the tanker ran aground. The ecosystem seems to be thriving up here, regardless of the spill.

-ChriS

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 09:27 PM
link   

The first symptoms of radiation poisioning are nausea and vomiting. Depending on the dose, it sets as quickly as 6 hours after exposure.
www.mayoclinic.com...=symptoms
Doses above 100 rems cause the first signs of radiation sickness including:
nausea
vomiting
headache
some loss of white blood cells
library.thinkquest.org...
Lowered white blood cell count should be the big clue. If a person has the flu the opposite should occur.
Can anyone who experienced problems from the Gulf war or the GoM cleanup address this?

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by xstealth
When a depleted uranium tipped shell strikes a tank or armored personnel carrier it easily penetrates the armor and burns the crew alive. The impact also vaporizes the depleted uranium

If the uranium vaporizes on impact and is dispersed in the wind how does it enter the tank and burn the crew?

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 09:39 PM
link   
petroleum is often sitting around with our friend Radon. Oil isn't radioactive, but everyone on it's block is:

NORM in the Oil and Gas Field NORM encountered in oil and gas exploration, development and production operations originates in subsurface formations, which may contain radioactive materials such as uranium and thorium and their daughter products, radium 226 and radium228. NORM can be brought to the surface in the formation water that is produced in conjunction with oil and gas. NORM in these produced waters typically consists of the radionuclides, radium 226 and 228. In addition, radon gas, a radium daughter, may be found in produced natural gas. Because the levels are typically so low, NORM in produced waters and natural gas is not a problem in Texas unless it becomes concentrated in some manner. Through temperature and pressure changes that occur in the course of oil and gas production operations, radium 226 and 228 found in produced waters may co-precipitate with barium sulfate scale in well tubulars and surface equipment. Concentrations of radium 226 and 228 may also occur in sludge that accumulates in oilfield pits and tanks. These solids become sources of oil and gas NORM waste. In gas processing activities, NORM generally occurs as radon gas in the natural gas stream. Radon decays to Lead-210, then to Bismuth-210, Polonium-210, and finally to stable Lead-206. Radon decay elements occur as a film on the inner surface of inlet lines, treating units, pumps, and valves principally associated with propylene, ethane, and propane processing streams. Workers employed in the area of cutting and reaming oilfield pipe, removing solids from tanks and pits, and refurbishing gas processing equipment may be exposed to particles containing levels of alpha-emitting radionuclides that could pose health risks if inhaled or ingested.

www.rrc.state.tx.us...

moar hear: www.epa.gov...

that EPA site is kind of hilarious in it's lipstick on a piggery ><

I think maybe OP mentioned more methane meaning more uranium, possibly thorium (sorry, noob here, durrr) anyway, the Gulf is chock full o' methane. They have lovely methane clathrates, and some very unique ecosystems based on those structures.

en.wikipedia.org... basically, remember the "ice crystals" and "hydrates" that blocked up the "top hat"? = hella fulla gas.

here's a video of what lives on em, yeah I've wandered off topic. sorry, the internet got away from me. Mods, move it if ya gotta. I apologize.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join