It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SAS on The Hunt In Yemen.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 11:32 AM
link   
I was doing some research into the man believed to be connected to a whole range of recent terrorists attacks called Anwar al-Awlaki. He is suspected of having links to the Christmas day bomber, fort hood shooting, 7/7 and even 9/11. He strikes me as the boogie man of the west if you like. Any way as i was reading about him I found out that the SAS are hunting for him in Yemen the article says that:

“Awlaki has become such a significant threat that the SAS has been deployed to Yemen in a bid to hunt him down. President Obama has also signed orders allowing drone attacks and Special Forces ground attacks in pursuit of Awlaki, who holds US citizenship.”

www.telegraph.co.uk...

[edit on 6-7-2010 by kevinunknown]

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Good luck to them, they are top quality and I'm sure they will get the job done.

Good hunting, boys.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Sounds like wild goose in on the menu tonight. When the officials point their finger at a terrorist, they have three fingers pointing back at themselves.

I will however pray that Britain remains safe from all enemies foreign and domestic.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 11:53 AM
link   
I wonder how the SAS can find this guy, they may have the run of the less populated areas but are they going to walk in a city like Sana'a with assault rifles and grenades jutting from their clothes?

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 12:18 PM
link   
I would question the scource of this as the British goverment famously refuses to comment on special forces activity.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by star in a jar
I wonder how the SAS can find this guy, they may have the run of the less populated areas but are they going to walk in a city like Sana'a with assault rifles and grenades jutting from their clothes?

No. The SAS don't do that. They use intelligence.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 12:42 PM
link   
their more likely training the Taliban, al qaeda whatever you want to call them. i agree that the government don't usually comment on what the regiments doing so if this reports real I'm guessing it's to cover what their really doing. after all who do you think trained the mujahideen to use American supplied stinger missiles. and various so called terrorist groups.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by blackrabbit1

Very true however in recent years this has became less apparent for example Gordon Brown gave specific details of UKSF numbers in Afghanistan and there is a recent book about called Task Force Black which looks at the work of UKSF. Of course there are still specifics that are “no comment” however on the whole in recent years the UK government has been on a drive to increase transparency on issues of national security. The telegraph is one of the few papers that i bother to read, on the whole it’s very good and accurate.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by star in a jar

I would assume they have HUMINT in place. MI6/CIA, etc.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by star in a jar

I think its most likely they will be gathering intelligence and possible designating targets. The could go in “hard” however this is unlikely in a state we are not officially at war with, don’t want to annoy everyone in the middle east now we.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 04:23 PM
link   
A lot of people imagine the SAS as simply being a special forces unit, however, the SAS are undeniably one of the best for gathering intel' and placing people deep undercover. Im British so you could easily argue that im biased, heres a little insight into the regiment.

The Special Air Service (SAS) is the British Army's most renowned special forces unit. From the moment several black-clad figures appeared on the balconies of the Iranian Embassy in London in 1980, the Special Air Service became 'celebrities' both at home and oversees. Their motto, 'Who Dares Wins', has become part of British popular culture.

Source.
(visit the link for much more info)

Im not wanting to turn this thread into a 'who's best' argument but many would say that they've been at the top of their game since the beginning, definately a fighting force to worry about.

CaF

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Catch_a_Fire

they are the best and most other forces agree. they are the bases for most special forces round the world and have trained and advised allot of them. they also go throughe more live rounds in traing than the whole of the british army. maggie's boys eh

[edit on 7-7-2010 by danielhanson420]

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Guys if your interested i just posed this about the SAS in the hunt for that guy on the run form the cops in England.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 01:12 PM
link   
SAS rarely carry out this type of operation any more. This is now the remit of SRR, who are an expansion of the int gathering units that were/are used in N Ireland.

SRR fall under the remit of UKSF and are controlled by the Director of Special Forces. They carry out the great majority of the covert target location jobs these days, and rely on other parts of UKSF (SAS/SBS) to act on the int gathered or carry out the more overt or covert kinetic aspects of an operation.

top topics

join