It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bad news for Obama: Conservative Justice Kennedy tells pals he's in no rush to leave Supreme Court!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 09:54 AM
link   

WASHINGTON - President Obama may get liberal Elena Kagan on the Supreme Court, but conservative swing-voter Anthony Kennedy says he's not going anywhere anytime soon.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/62cec3ebadb8.jpg[/atsimg]

Justice Kennedy, who turns 74 this month, has told relatives and friends he plans to stay on the high court for at least three more years - through the end of Obama's first term, sources said. That means Kennedy will be around to provide a fifth vote for the court's conservative bloc through the 2012 presidential election. If Obama loses, Kennedy could retire and expect a Republican President to choose a conservative justice.

Kennedy, appointed by President Ronald Reagan, has been on the court 22 years. He has become a bit of a political nemesis at the White House for his increasing tendency to side with the court's four rock-ribbed conservative justices.

Without naming Kennedy, Obama was unusually critical of his majority opinion in the Citizens United case, handed down last January. That 5-4 decision struck down limits on contributions to political campaigns as an abridgement of free speech.

Source: www.nydailynews.com...

Thank God! Someone has the balls to tell it like it is. Obama can't be trusted to make proper appointments-as evident with this most recent one.

For the first time, I am happy to say I support life-time appointments of SCOTUS.

Hopefully this will sent a message to Congress about this current JOKE being considered. Just goes to show how lightly the Dems/Obams look at the Supreme Court. They don't want a great Legal mind up there-just people who will follow the Dems orders/line of attack.

Way to go Kennedy!!!! Hopefully you won't have to wait to much longer.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Because the Dems want unconstituional legislation every justice that's doing their actual job is perceived as "conservative"...Not only is it not true, its another perfect example of the medias crooked moral ethic and refusal to adhere to any journalistic standard!

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by anon72

LOL calling Kennedy a "conservative" is like calling Bush a "conservative."

Right now all the Justices are democrats, with the "conservative" side of the court acting like southern blue dogs and the "liberal" side of the court acting like Massachusetts tyrants.

Neither side has any interest at all in restraining federal power.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by anon72

Well, now since it's out there, if Justice Kennedy becomes too much of a thorn on obamas side, I predict Mr. Kennedy having health issues and obama getting him off the bench that way.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Hooyah!

This is good news
I hope he stays healthy...and alive!

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Wayne60

... and alive! LOL

I wonder what type/level of security a SCOTUS Justice has (or is offered). Never thougth of that before. One would think a bunch load.

In the end and in reality, they are more important that the President (in many aspects). Got to go search that one.

I wonder how much Obama's choice of the next Justice played a role in Kennedy's decision. Like: If she is his best choice for a replacement-who would replace me???? I can't leave now... lol

Also today:
I just saw a headline on Drudge about Obama and Justice Roberts maybe on a collision course: www.latimes.com... (Pretty good story)

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 12:34 PM
link   
what's a Supreme Court justice doing making politically inflammatory statements like this? I thought they were supposed to be removed and impartial to such common things.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Hah. He better watch out for depleted uranium shavings in his cheerios.

And a million little obama-bots cried out in terror, 'how dare he stop the reich!'

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 01:27 PM
link   
This isn't really news actually, most American pundits like to add some sensationalism to their angle to sell better but it's been pretty well assumed that the conservative justices are going to wait for a conservative president before they retire. The liberals will also change out under liberal presidents. Nobody wants to screw their party, and that's no surprise.

I love how everyone immediately jumped on the idea that there would be "health problems" in a conspiratorial sense! These people are not exactly young guns remember, it's well within reason that there would be some kind of actual problem with any of the members' health, not just Justice Kennedy.

Bottom line though, it's not really bad news for President Obama, just more evidence to support what everyone had been saying the whole time.

new topics

top topics

join