It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Anti-Empire Report, July 5th

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 07:24 AM
link   
Some thoughts on "patriotism" written on July 4

killinghope.org...

This month William Blum discusses the hypocracy that is patriotism and how it has been bastardised to justify a whole host of atrocities and covers culpability in the recent oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico,

Enjoy.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 09:38 AM
link   
I read the work. I can see some points that he makes. One could even make the case that extreme patriotism is akin to religious radicals or zealots. A few who take it too far make the rest look like the idiots outlined in this report.

Patriotism can be a good thing. This report makes notes about Nazi German patriots commission of the Halocaust. It talks of genocidal warlords and dictators noting their devotion to country to justify their acts. I was a soldier, a patriot. When we went to Desert Storm, I had no illusions that I was there to confront people not dedicated to their own country and cause. People need to believe that what they are doing is right. I firmly believed in why we were there, just as many of the Iraqi military believed in why they went into Kuwait.

However, I dont see in such black and white colors anymore. I still consider myself a patriot of the United States. I am a firm believer in the origin of this Republic and what she once stood for. That is where my patriotism lies. I believe in the rights and freedoms and safety of all people. It is the order of government that stirs the soup and makes both radical and conservative patriotism one large perversion of its true meaning.

The report talks of the 4th of July and the ignorance by the many of its symbology. I am not blind to the many farces that we hold up as symbols of our nation. Lady Liberty was a gift given to us, not one of our own creation, many of the songs we have sang in the past were handed down to us and in their true context are actually demeaning.

However, it is also not lost on me that our Independence was gained by a handful of patriotic men who pushed until those on the sidelines had no choice but to act. This act of patriotism freed and bore a nation that mostly would choose its own path.

I would counter the quotes in the report with a few of my own.

I like to see a man proud of the place in which he lives. I like to see a man live so that his place will be proud of him.
~Abraham Lincoln

A man's country is not a certain area of land, of mountains, rivers, and woods, but it is a principle; and patriotism is loyalty to that principle.
~George William Curtis

Patriotism is easy to understand in America - it means looking out for yourself by looking out for your country.
~Calvin Coolidge

A thoughtful mind, when it sees a Nation's flag, sees not the flag only, but the Nation itself; and whatever may be its symbols, its insignia, he reads chiefly in the flag the Government, the principles, the truths, the history which belongs to the Nation that sets it forth.
~Henry Ward Beecher

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Do you think having pride in ones country, obviously you do, is the same patriotism?

Hmmm the American Revolution, to be honest im still a bit un decided wether or not that actualy was a genuine act of freeing oneself from authoritarian shackles or a calculated ploy by a handful of like minded businesmen and opportunists.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 11:40 AM
link   
I see the board has removed the thread that had William Blum's posting,
that used to be at this thread,
www.abovetopsecret.com...

I guess they really don't want people to be critical of blind, suicidal, homicidal PSEUDO-'patriotism'.

Seems to me patriotism is supporting your nation.

Most of what is currently called patriotism is just treasury looting that is destroying this nation as well as creating terrorists where there were none before.

If the troops are NOT supporting nation, then it is unpatriotic to support the troops.

Troops are NOT patriotic if they are NOT supporting the nation.

Mindless Patriotism is just like socially acceptable coc aine.
People get to get thrilled about murdering people like the Romans did watching at the Coliseum.

Real patriotism is rational.
It is supporting yourself.
And because you live in a nation, you want to have it be a good place for you to live.

That is real patriotism.
It is selfish, it is adult, it is pragmatic,
& if you truly value it you need to start blowing these traitors off their intellectual lead bottoms, in & out of uniform who just want to get high on the blood lust EXCUSE to murder people in foreign countries & for their corporate murder companies benefits.

posted on Jul, 18 2010 @ 11:30 PM
link   
Patriotism and nationalism are acceptable to an extent...the words, especially patriotism, are thrown around in this country to back whatever ideals someone is trying to push forward.

Support me, because my ideas are patriotic.
Denounce them, their ideals are NOT patriotic.

However, nationalism, has a bad reputation as a word. NAZI's were nationalists, Russian communists were considered nationalists.

We use these words seperately yet they mean the same thing. I'm very weary of anyone who uses the term to describe themselves or uses it to describe an action of someone else. It's usually a good indication of an agenda being driven.

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 02:32 AM
link   
Patriotism and nationalism must be destroyed to implement the next parameter of control.

Next you will be taught to except and exalt globalism. Just the next step in your neverending subjugation.

Oh well, I guess the collectivists know better what is better for everyone, just as the nationalists and populists of the past. RIGHT?

As the old saying goes, if you cannot control them at the community level, control them at the state level, if you cannot control them at the national level, control them at the planetary level, if you cannot control them at the planetary level, control them at the system level, not at the system level, THINK UNIVERSE!

[edit on 7/19/2010 by endisnighe]

new topics

top topics

join