It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The D4rk Kn1ght / October 28, 2011 / 10/28/2011 Mega Thread

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by stereologist

Oh! I thought it caused panic, but if you say this, I may do some little research to see what happened...
Thanks.

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Zagari

I'll see if I can find some of the Old Time Radio sites that discuss this issue. There wasn't panic.

The War of the Worlds (radio drama)

Although there were sensationalist accounts in the press about a supposed panic in response to the broadcast, the precise extent of listener response has been debated. In the days following the adaptation, however, there was widespread outrage.

"War of the Worlds": Behind the 1938 Radio Show Panic

But historians also claim that newspaper accounts over the following week greatly exaggerated the hysteria. There are estimates that about 20 percent of those listening believed it was real. That translates to less than a million people.
At the time, newspapers considered radio an upstart rival. Some in the print press, resentful of the superior radio coverage during the Munich crisis, may have sought to prove a point about the irresponsibility of the radio broadcast.
"The exaggeration of the War of the Worlds story can be interpreted as the print media's revenge for being badly scooped during the previous month," McLeod said.

According to the New York Times, Welles expressed profound regret that his dramatic efforts could cause consternation. "I don't think we will choose anything like this again," he said. He hesitated about presenting it, Welles said, because "it was our thought that perhaps people might be bored or annoyed at hearing a tale so improbable."

The War of the Worlds (radio)

Later studies suggested this panic was less widespread than newspapers suggested. During this period, many newspapers were concerned that radio, a new medium, would render the press obsolete. In addition, this was a time of yellow journalism, and as a result, journalists took this opportunity to demonstrate the dangers of broadcast by embellishing the story, and the panic that ensued, greatly.

Robert E. Bartholomew suggests that hundreds of thousands were frightened in some way, but notes that evidence of people taking action based on this fear is "scant" and "anecdotal". Indeed, contemporary news articles indicate that police were swamped with hundreds of calls in numerous locations, but stories of people doing anything more than calling the authorities typically involve groups of ones or tens and were often reported by people who were panicking themselves.

Contemporary accounts spawned urban legends, many of which have come to be accepted through repetition. Several people reportedly rushed to the scene of the events in New Jersey to see the unfolding events, including a few geologists from Princeton University who went looking for the meteorite that was said to have fallen near their school. Some people, who had brought firearms, reportedly mistook a farmer's water tower for a Martian Tripod and shot at it.

Now here is the best part:

Future Tonight Show host Jack Paar
Jack Paar
Jack Harold Paar was an American radio and television comedian and talk show host, best known for his stint as host of The Tonight Show.- Radio and films :...

did announcing duties that night for Cleveland CBS affiliate WGAR. When the phone lines to the studio started to light up with panicking listeners calling in, Paar attempted to calm them on the phone and on-air by saying, "The world is not coming to an end. Trust me. When have I ever lied to you?" When the frightened listeners started charging Paar with 'covering up the truth', ...

Bolding is mine. Doesn't that sound like a lot of people on ATS? You try to tell people the truth and they scream cover up by TPTB. Folks, it's not new. This irrational claim of TPTB doing a cover up are old.

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   
I believe that whatever is going to happen will happen regardless and that there's nothing we can do to prevent it. I don't subscribe to any particular school of thought (i.e Mayan Calendar, Nostradomus Predictions, Y2K, etc) I subscribe to reality. I live every day like it was my last and make sure that when I lay down at night I do so with no regrets. I think if anything unfolds it will be interesting but am trying not to stew over it too much. This thread has been a great read.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Addition:

2010/2011/2012 Which Year Is The End Of It?
www.abovetopsecret.com...
by srbouska
started on 1/13/2011 @ 12:48 PM

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   

That's what frustrates me most. I come here and registered purely to read alternative theories and grab info about stuff I may not have found elsewhere but when people claim cover up too much, it kinda distracts from what's being said and then the thread descends into even more conspiracies.

posted on Jan, 14 2011 @ 12:28 AM
link   
reply to post by curious7

The War of the Worlds may not have been the most interesting event for Orson Welles. I find his thinking that people wanted high standing, well done, drama to be admirable. Yet, what is interesting is that Orson ran into troubles before that are much more interesting than the hyperbole told about is WOW broadcast. Ask and I'll let you know about it.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 11:47 PM
link   
Addition:

This person's dream is interesting. In her dream she noted that all the birds were gone... Hmmm.

28.Oct.2011 Dream
by Vamp333
started on 4/20/2010 @ 03:47 AM
www.abovetopsecret.com...&addstar=1&on=8612515#pid8612515

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 03:33 AM
link   

Apologies for the late reply but yeah, I'd love to know if that's cool with you?

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Here's a link to the orbit of Comet Elinin at the JPL Small Body Database. It's an animated JAVA applet. You can plug in dates and watch the comet swoop through the solar system.

Pay particular attention to Elinin's position relative to Earth on October 28th, 2011. Here's a screenshot:

ssd.jpl.nasa.gov...
edit on 2/6/2011 by this_is_who_we_are because: url

posted on Feb, 6 2011 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Odd coincidence this?:

In the film "Deep Impact" the reporter character thought she was on to an affair a congressman/senator? was supposedly having with someone named Ellie. It turned out that the reference was actually to an "ELE" (Extinction Level Event).

And now we have Comet ELEnin. Little bit of the old subliminal conditioning going on perhaps?

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 08:03 AM
link   
reply to post by curious7

Before his WOW broadcast Welles had a show in which a bank robbery was to be portrayed. He wanted his shows to sound authentic. In this he wanted his voice actors to hold guns loaded with blanks and to shoot the guns during the show. At that time there were no available rehearsal studios before the broadcast. He took the cast to the roof top where they went over the show. Remember that shows were done live.

So there he is with a group of people on a roof top in NYC shooting at each other with guns. The police storm the roof top and hauled everyone off to jail. The police were skeptical of the claim that this was the famous Orson Welles and his actors doing a full rehearsal. After repeated begging and several phone calls he was taken back to the studio moments before he went live and did the show on schedule.

The actors were so in touch with Orson that they immediately knew that the uniformed police were not a gag or stunt pulled by Orson. Despite Orson Welles' attention to detail he had overlooked the issue of his demand realism drawing unwanted attention.

posted on Feb, 7 2011 @ 08:12 AM
link   
reply to post by this_is_who_we_are

Pay particular attention to Elinin's position relative to Earth on October 28th, 2011.

The current estimated path of the comet shows it to be 10 days outside of the orbit of the Earth on that date.

The thing I like about this comet is that it will be in position to be viewed from the northern hemisphere.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 08:25 PM
link   
The Joker is a theme it seems. Found this video interesting as it links several movies and concepts in symbolism. Not sure if it has been posted or not. I'm new to the topic. video

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 07:46 AM
link   
dont you thinke the d4rk kn1ght and others could have seen the nasa orbit diagram a couple of years ago and make all of this up ???

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Addition:

21st December 2012 Is The Wrong Date. End Of The Mayan Calender Is Actually 28th October 2011
by CasiusIgnoranze
started on 3/29/2011 @ 11:27 AM

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Addition:

2012 Is Not The Wrong Date.
by PaR3v
started on 3/29/2011 @ 07:43 PM

posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by this_is_who_we_are

Are you saying that you are falling for Calleman's hoax?

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 09:41 PM
link   
October 28th, 2011 is fast approaching. And so is Comet Elenin. As if you hadn't heard...
Are you ready?

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 09:52 PM
link   
No worries,,,,todays correct date is 4.15.2008.
I really could get into serious trouble saying this. Fortunately for me this fact of the real date being 3yrs behind is ludicrous to 99.9percent of you

posted on Apr, 20 2011 @ 07:26 AM
link   
Addition:

Reflections On The "Dark Knight" Prophecy
by colbyforce
started on 4/18/2011 @ 06:55 PM

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join