It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2050: 2 billion people flood prone due to global warming

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2004 @ 02:22 AM
link   
UNITED NATIONS � The number of people vulnerable to floods is expected to double to 2 billion worldwide by 2050 due to global warming, deforestation, rising sea levels, and population growth in flood-prone areas, U.N. researchers warned Sunday.

The world will be warmer and wetter by mid-century, and the northern part of the Northern Hemisphere will likely see more storms, said Dr. Janos Bogardi, founding director of the new institute, in the study made public by the university. Sea levels could rise, fed by melting glaciers and ice caps, and extreme high-water levels could become more common, menacing small islands and coastal lowlands, he said.

Another credible source pointing to the actual "Day after Tomorrow."

www.enn.com...

posted on Jun, 15 2004 @ 02:31 AM
link   
Deforestation? How does that cause flooding? Melting polar ice will be a problem but not in that way. I think most attempted warming will be offset by increased evaporation. You have heard the stories of how much the glaciers have retreated over the past 20 years and how much of the arctic ice has melted. Where has the increase in sea level been? It has been virtually nonexistant. What does get dumped into the ocean will only further aid in altering the North Atlantic Current. I believe we will see a catastrophic climate shift long before our coastal cities are flooded because of melting ice. I'm not sure why these guys keep running these stories because this theory has failed miserably in the past.

posted on Jun, 15 2004 @ 02:42 AM
link   
like i said before guys, we're killing mother nature and someday she will kill us back 10 times harder

join