It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

STATS! Alarming Rise In Global Natural Disasters!! 2010 IS The Year Of Floods

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Thanks for the great lists - I felt the weather was in turmoil this season, just had nothing to back it up. We have had some flooding here in Indiana as well. And a heat wave right now - 95 - 100 degrees is not the norm - it is already hotter than any summer month last year.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 10:29 AM
link   
It's not the frequency of the disasters that's increased.

It's the reporting of these disasters that has increased, given the ability for cell phone video, and immediate reporting in the current 24 hour "immediate need for video" news cycle.

In the past, if there was a natural disaster, we had to wait to see it on the 6 o'clock and/or 10 o'clock news. Because there was only a half hour news program, it had to be something fairly significant to get a chance of being reported.

Now, in the age of at least half a dozen 24 hour news channels, Mom's cell phone video of little Johnny falling out of a tree becomes worldwide news.

When there is a significant or even a minor disaster, news organizations hungry for news to report fill their 24 hour news with "all the time coverage".

[edit on 6-7-2010 by babybunnies]

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by QuickWick
This could be true because of the methane levels.

The floods were actually occurring before the situation in the gulf. Just a side note.

Namaste and Love

[edit on 6-7-2010 by PsychoX42]

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 10:38 AM
link   
One of my favorite websites is ice age now. He's always current with the cold and the floods and the lack of sun spots. I really think that's where we are headed, into the next ice age.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 10:38 AM
link   
In Hungary we had more rain in May and June then in the recorded history ever. I didn't see the Sun for 4-5 weeks approximately because of the rainclouds.
The weather is far from normal, the sun was abnormaly quiet during the last few years and we have much more earthquakes than a decade ago. Something is coming.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by christine76
One of my favorite websites is ice age now. He's always current with the cold and the floods and the lack of sun spots. I really think that's where we are headed, into the next ice age.

Based on the information that I've dug up and in light of the recent climategate scandal, I would tend to agree with you.

Thanks for the comment!

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 11:58 AM
link   
I'm not sure about floods themselves -- but what is increasing is the number of people living in flood plains (and building in harm's way in general)

Land that was once considered too flood-prone to be populated (just one or two decades ago) is increasingly being built upon due to the demand for affordable land.

In the past, most people didn't care if farmland became flooded -- but put up a housing development on that farmland with 100 homes costing $200,000 each, and suddenly the flooding becomes a disaster.

That's the same reason that hurricanes are causing more damage to property than ever -- it's not because hurricanes are more frequent or more powerful, but rather because people are increasingly developing the land that is traditionally in harm's way (i.e., places where a hurricane's storm surge may want to go).

People are developing land that was once considered too risky to develop, so now the natural "disasters" are more newsworthy because they are destroying homes.

[edit on 7/6/2010 by Soylent Green Is People]

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 12:08 PM
link   
These unnatural disasters can be blamed on HAARP--just watch the videos at this site.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Just destroy HAARP and watch tne natural disasters decrease!

Just USA ( NWO) and its depopulation

....not to mention Mind Control?

Edit:
or go to
www.youtube.com...

[edit on 6-7-2010 by canadiansenior70]

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 03:24 PM
link   
No there aren't more or stronger earthquakes recently. It's just been an unusually bad year as far as earthquake-related deaths.

From the USGS: earthquake.usgs.gov...

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by nataylor

Then compare this data with the 90's data (or even with the 80's) and you will see the increase. Don't just watch it year by year compare the decade averages.
Here are some stats:
www.earth.webecs.co.uk...

[edit on 6-7-2010 by Bocimaster]

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Ominous" Pre-Katrina Conditions Now in Atlantic

Current warm waters, calm winds resemble those preceding worst hurricane season.

Christine Dell'Amore

National Geographic News

Published June 11, 2010

It's already been forecast to be "extremely active," but the 2010 Atlantic hurricane season may be shaping up to be something even worse: a replay of 2005, the most active and destructive Atlantic basin hurricane season in history.

The warm ocean temperatures and weak winds recorded this past May were similar to those of May 2005—the year that spawned Hurricane Katrina.

Such patterns are "definitely ominous and foreboding," said Chris Hebert, lead hurricane forecaster for the private forecasting company ImpactWeather, based in Houston.

For instance, the similarities to 2005 means there's an increased risk of hurricane impact across the northern Caribbean islands, the Florida Peninsula, and the northeast Gulf Coast, from southeastern Louisiana to Florida, he said.

news.nationalgeographic.com...

It has rain almost non stop for four days in a row here in Florida. We are in big trouble if the fears of a bad hurricane season are correct.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 06:47 PM
link   
The number of flood events has been going up.

Number of events reported:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ff448fdd994a.png[/atsimg]

This isn't just some false impression given off by increased media coverage because the amount of people affected and total economic damages have been more or less stabilized over the same period (due to advanced preventative and precautionary measures):

Number of people affected:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/81bfc24d9098.png[/atsimg]

Reported economic damages (US$ in billion):

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/4970762e58d3.png[/atsimg]

Source for above data

Of course there is a very simple, straightforward explanation for all this:

Climate Studies Point to More Floods in This Century

With Climate Change Comes Floods

Climate Change from the BBC Weather Centre

But even as it's happening right in front of everyone's face, a number of people would apparently once again prefer to write off "alarmist" science and instead focus on much more sensible explanations, like HAARP or Nibiru...

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Bocimaster

From the data source used for the graph on that page you posted:

www.dlindquist.com...

When you look at large quakes, there is no upward trend. That there is a decadal upward trend when you include smaller and smaller quakes is not surprising given the exponential growth of the detection network.

And I'm not entirely sure where that that web site is getting its data from. He says the USGS, but doesn't point to exactly what data he is using.

But back to the site you linked to, they say this:

For example, between 1986 and 1996 (incl), a period of 11 years, there were "just" 15 earthquakes listed by USGS of magnitude 7.0 or greater.

That's patently false as this page shows: earthquake.usgs.gov...

I'm counting 107 magnitude 7+ quakes just in 1990-1996. Way more than the 15 that page claims, not even counting 1986-1989. I'd say that page you linked to is in error.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by mc_squared
The number of flood events has been going up.

Number of events reported:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ff448fdd994a.png[/atsimg]

This isn't just some false impression given off by increased media coverage because the amount of people affected and total economic damages have been more or less stabilized over the same period (due to advanced preventative and precautionary measures):

Number of people affected:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/81bfc24d9098.png[/atsimg]

Reported economic damages (US$ in billion):

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/4970762e58d3.png[/atsimg]

Source for above data

Of course there is a very simple, straightforward explanation for all this:

Climate Studies Point to More Floods in This Century

With Climate Change Comes Floods

Climate Change from the BBC Weather Centre

But even as it's happening right in front of everyone's face, a number of people would apparently once again prefer to write off "alarmist" science and instead focus on much more sensible explanations, like HAARP or Nibiru...

Great information, thank you for your post.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 06:30 AM
link   
reply to post by mc_squared

One of the features of development along a river is the building of river walls and levees. This may seem counter-intuitive, but levees will cause flood waters to be higher in some areas -- the areas without the levees.

The river walls and levees DO protect the developed land directly adjacent to them, but they also cause the floods to be greater in other areas -- all that water that would naturally be spread out along a whole "levee-less" river (and normally not officially at "flood stage") is now concentrated to fewer specific areas, which DOES cause flooding in those other areas.

I'm not saying that the increased use of levees in land development is solely to blame for an increase in flooding, but they are definitely a contributing factor.

In the Midwest flood of 1993, people upriver of St. Louis complained that they were getting flooded greater than they normally would because of the levees along the whole of St Louis was basically pushing the flood back to them -- so some people got up to DOUBLE the water they normally would have had.

[edit on 7/7/2010 by Soylent Green Is People]

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Didn't see the link so I apologize if this is a duplicate.

Here is another set in Mexico

www.msnbc.msn.com...

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 04:32 PM
link   
I put this up a while ago.

"NOAA Warns of Big Floods After Fierce Winter"

"NOAA: Imminent Flood Threat in Midwest, South and East Also at Risk"
March 16, 2010

www.noaanews.noaa.gov...

[edit on 7/7/2010 by this_is_who_we_are]

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 04:38 PM
link   
This seems related as well:

"Last Indonesian Glacier Under Threat"
www.redorbit.com...

[edit on 7/7/2010 by this_is_who_we_are]

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by snowspirit

I live thousands of miles from the Gulf, and it seems to me i care more then the people that actually live there, (well thats what the media ban makes it seem like) and it hurts me,

posted on Jul, 8 2010 @ 01:35 AM
link   
This just in:

"Mexico, Texas evacuate homes as Rio Grande floods"
by buni11687

news.yahoo.com...
"NUEVO LAREDO, Mexico – Reservoirs along the Texas-Mexico border rose to their highest levels in decades after days of drenching rain,..."

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join