It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The oil well will leak for at least 13 years

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Now let's say they don't fix the oil well. I mean there's holes in the sea floor and you can't really fix that, especially with a nuke.

The Deepwater Horizon oil well is BIG. Pretty big. Not the ``two billion gallons`` they say in the medias.

The ruptured well may hold as much as 1 billion barrels, the Times reported, citing Rick Mueller, an analyst at Energy Security Analysis in Massachusetts.

Many of you know Matthew Simmons...
In this interview he says between 1.1 and 1.3 billion barrels

Inside source from BP :Size of reservoir - estimated by BP and its partner, Andarko to be between 2.5B and 10B bbl. (that's 100,000,000,000 gallons and 400,000,000,000 gallons).

At the very minimum, it's 500 million barrels.
There have been reports the reservoir held up to 500m barrels – the figure quoted by Hayward's questioner, Joe Barton, a Republican from Texas.

"I would assume that 500m barrels would be a more likely estimate," said Tadeusz Patzek, the chairman of the department of petroleum and geosystems engineering at the University of Texas at Austin. "I don't think you would be going after a 50mbarrel reservoir so quickly. This is just simply not enough oil to go after."

Even, and that is the bottom I'm willing to accept there's in the well, EVEN if it's just 500 million barrels, at 100.000 barrels per day, which is probably in the high in the number of leaking barrels per day, it's gonna take 5000 days to leak it all, or 13.69 years.

And in the worst case, 10 billion barrels, it's gonna take 270 years.

And in the worst worst worst Armageddon type case...
The oil well is connected to abiotic oil that is produced by the earth itself and it will leak FOREVER.

Or you can believe BP saying that even if they don't fix it, it's ``only gonna leak for 2 years``.

[edit on 5-7-2010 by Vitchilo]

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

The evolution of our understanding of the magnitude of this 'event' merits study in and of itself.

Great job following the story!

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Regardless of the actual size, this disaster is huge enough and most of America is still asleep.

The future will be very difficult.

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Regodamndiculus is all I have to say.

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 06:48 PM
link   
And they try not to get poeple to go to the shores ?

HEY BP ! Is this this a mamouth your hiding behind your back ?

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by loam
Regardless of the actual size, this disaster is huge enough and most of America is still asleep.

The future will be very difficult.

or your called a fearmonger.when you try to discuss possible ramifications, most will realize when its to late

new topics

top topics

join