It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Intelligent Cars Fitted With Black Boxes Will Report Accidents to Police and Insurance Companies

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Intelligent cars fitted with aircraft-style black boxes that can send video footage and information about driving behaviour during accidents to the police and insurance companies are being developed by computer scientists.

The car, which is being developed by researchers at computer chip giant Intel, will record information about the vehicle speed, steering and braking along with video footage from inside and outside the vehicle.

This would be automatically sent to police and insurance companies in the event of an accident to make it easier to determine the cause of car crashes and identify the person responsible.

The device forms part of an intelligent car envisaged by researchers at computer chip giant Intel. They are developing technology that will transform cars into smart vehicles that are able to detect dangers on the road and even take over control from motorists.

They have been in discussions with car manufacturers about developing cars that are permanently connected to the internet and other vehicles using wireless technology.

Camera systems that can recognise street signs and then take over control of a car if the motorist tries to drive the wrong way up a one-way street, for example, are being developed for use in vehicles.

www.impactlab.com...

This is interesting new technology to say the least but the repercussions of these black boxes being used is somewhat unsettling. I am all for safe driving but having a device in my car that tracks my every move and can even take control of the vehicle is not something I would be fond of.

This reminds me of the case where a guy hacked into 100 cars computer systems and shut them down because he was fired from the dealership he worked at. Hackers are pretty resourceful and I'm sure they could do the same with these black boxes.

This also makes me think about a mass panic situation. The companies who control these boxes could shut down all vehicles to keep people in one place.

All of this new technology is pretty cool but it's getting to a point where technology is not only helping us but also damaging our personal freedoms.

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 05:14 PM
link   
I love how these people keep shoving their big brother phallus further and further down our throats. Clever how they disguise it as a reason for implementation- to report accidents. Ya I might take up bike riding sooner than I expect to..

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by TV_Nation

I for one am all for it. People need to take responsibility for their own actions, including driving like an a$$. Devices like LoJack have been able to find cars anywhere for years. If there ever were a "big brother", he could be tracking our every move right now. He wouldn't be telling us about it beforehand, would he?

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 05:42 PM
link   
This crazy! What if these black boxes really contain probes that insert themselves into our anus and control our actions while we are anally communicating? This would allow the manufacturers to make us do Manchurian candidate like missions!

For this reason, I will ride a bicycle from now on!

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Vehicles already have a 'black box' and they have for quite some time. This is nothing new, to be honest. I see a conspiracy in the making here. It's no secret that certain elements want to tax us 'by the mile' and this may be the technology they'll use.

Keep a close watch on this one, folks.

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Onstar already does this , many cases where some one went into the ditch, onstar called home and the cops came out finding a person trying to get there car out of the ditch and booze on there breath.. they get tested hauled in and jailed .. other instances of people in onstar equiped cars being disabled.. usually criminals , however if they do it to them they can do it to you for not paying your taxes or other "offences"

Last chevy I bought I made sure it didn't have onstar in it.. i don't want my car reporting me when im driver over the speed limit or telling anyone where i am, or haveing a remote kill system.

However, funny story about onstar.. Up here in MN we drive cars on the lakes in the winter after the ice feezes up good... call onstar and say your lost, and ask for directions.. all they see is your car in the middle of a lake

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Theorist
Vehicles already have a 'black box' and they have for quite some time. This is nothing new, to be honest. I see a conspiracy in the making here. It's no secret that certain elements want to tax us 'by the mile' and this may be the technology they'll use.

Keep a close watch on this one, folks.

I was thinking the same thing, the black boxes have been around for quite a while. And Onstar does the automatic accident reporting. I'm not exactly sure what information specifically is transmitted by Onstar however, does anyone know? For example does it send everything the black box recorded? or just bits and pieces?

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 12:23 AM
link   

We can already buy cars that do a lot of those things in Europe, such as reading road signs, auto park, heads up display, ir cameras, drift out of lane warning, auto braking, intelligent cruise etc. We can also buy a third party accident recorder as described.

In addition most ecu's will record details that can be queried after a collision.

[edit on 6/7/2010 by LightFantastic]

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 12:29 AM
link   
it's very simple folks
don't buy any more new cars.
That 55 Chevy is looking better
all the time

And it don't have seat belts

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 12:32 AM
link   

Why do insurance companies need this information in the first place? to help them figure out how to make more money?

i have never made a claim, but since the law requires me to do so i have paid more than $50,000 in my lifetime thus far for my cars that never costed more than $14,000.

AT What point do the insurance companies owe me a new car?

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 01:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Endtime Warrior
I love how these people keep shoving their big brother phallus further and further down our throats. Clever how they disguise it as a reason for implementation- to report accidents. Ya I might take up bike riding sooner than I expect to..

Go over to motoredbikes dot com and get one with a motor. They can get 128 miles per gallon, and go 30 miles an hour.

And they ain't got no stinking black boxes.

new topics

top topics

join