It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oil Spill has made it's way to Texas coast

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wyn Hawks
...tar has been washing up on galveston, high island, san luis pass, surfside, quintana etc for as long as i can remember (over five decades)... i'd like to know what criteria was used to determine that these particular tar balls are from the horizon disaster...

Echoing Wyn's sentiment, and in no way downplaying the disaster, but anyone who lives in Texas knows that tar balls can and do wash ashore from time to time. The fact that these are from this current disaster plays no significance to this IMO.

Again, not downplaying the disaster. I am just as pissed as the rest of you, but please be sure not to hyper-sensationalize the story moreso than it already currently is. And before someone can misconstrue my meaning with arguing semantics, again I agree this is a bad situation.

Here are some examples of previous tar ball occurances. All of these take place 2009 or before, and have nothing to do with the BP spill.

www.chron.com...
www.nature.nps.gov...
www.sptimes.com...
www.gomr.mms.gov...
aphilosopher.wordpress.com...

As long as exploratory drilling or any drilling for that matter continues, we will see tar balls pop up on any coastal lands near the drilling. Until alternative fuels really take flight sadly expect more and more scenes similar to this....

-Sliadon

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wyn Hawks
...tar has been washing up on galveston, high island, san luis pass, surfside, quintana etc for as long as i can remember (over five decades)... i'd like to know what criteria was used to determine that these particular tar balls are from the horizon disaster...

I agree. I live about a hour from Crystal Beach,...been going to the beach my whole life...and have seen tar balls there for as long as I can remember....and the fact that it "matches the oil from the Deep Water Horizon"...seeing as how its oil coming from under the ground...umm...it PROBABLY WOULD be a close match to the oil from the rig...so now I suppose EVERY tar ball that washes up on a shore is going to be from "the Gulf oil spill"...see what happens when the MSM and TPTB cause panic and paranoia....just saying, I have seen tar balls on Crystal Beach since I was a kid...so ummm nothing new hear...but some people just "OMG! OMG! TAR BALLS!!! OIL SPILL!! AHHHH HELP!!!!"....quit listening to the MSM and making things bigger than what they seem...and don't blame EVERY tar ball that washes up along the shore of beaches on "the oil spill"....people are so gullible

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 09:55 PM
link   
The thing is that officials have analyzed the tar balls and it has been confirmed that these things are from the Deepwater Horizon oil spill.

Houston Chronicle

Whether or not this oil has drifted down through the currents or if it happens to be a result of sludge that hitched its way on the side of a ship that passed through the immediate spill area is of little consequence. The sad truth is that there is an ecological impact being made a far distance from the original disaster area.

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by maria_stardust

As a native Texan this saddens my heart. And as the oil continues to flow from this BP debacle; soon I expect to see the Laguna Madre to become the Laguna de Muerte as with the entire Gulf Coast.

I think mother nature could deal with the tar balls but not with the toxic dispersant chemical soup also flowing in the currents.

Fishing for specs and Reds, wind surfing on South Padre or enjoying a Corona and watching the sunset on the deck at Amberjacks, will become a distant memory.

[edit on 5-7-2010 by whaaa]

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 10:02 PM
link   
That’s funny I thought the oil covered Corexit was hitting our Texas-sized shores the entire time except it wasn't that big of a deal because the ocean current carries most of the oilorexit East toward the Dirty South and Atlantic.

I am pretty sure the only reason they shipped out that Deathstar Whale Skimmer is because they knew that BP was about to dribble-a-drop of tar on our beach boots and the government had to appeal to our general census because that was our idea:

"Hey yall, how bout we just catch all the oil in a REALLY BIG NET, ring it out to dry so we can startup a Texas style bonfire to celebrate the cleanup success!! YEHAW!

[edit on 5-7-2010 by tooo many pills]

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 10:05 PM
link   
So after reading this im gonna enjoy the west coast SoCal beaches while i can. I can't believe this is happening, maybe my children will not be able to swim in our ocean when they are in adulthood. So sad, it seems almost unreal, but too real!

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by maria_stardust
Wouldn't be surprised in the least if they sent over a small crew armed with plastic Wal-Mart bags and shovels to scoop this crud up and dump it in a local landfill.

Only a few removed steps from our SOP*.

*Standard Operating Procedure-what we do every day anyway.

[edit on 5-7-2010 by justadood]

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 10:09 PM
link   
If radioactivity is truly an issue with the soild materials pouring forth, perhaps a simple geiger counter could tell them that what they have is not the usual tar balls that wash up on upper Texas shores from leakage out in the Gulf ... if I remember some of those leaks are about 50 miles (80km)south south west of High Island and Galveston. I could have that location wrong (trying to recall date from forty years ago is not my forte at my age).

I pray the Texans can find a way to protect themsleves. I keep imagining a wall from the surface of the water down to the sea bad running straight sout of Orange Texas just short of the shelf and then hike right to Brownsville with movable gates at several locations to let ships and wilflife through when it is safe enough to do so.

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by maria_stardust
The thing is that officials have analyzed the tar balls and it has been confirmed that these things are from the Deepwater Horizon oil spill.

Maria,

I'm not discounting what you are saying. Again, my point is that this is nothing new. Tar balls occur, and will continue to occur so long as we are drilling for oil in the water.

As a Texan, yes it is appalling that the disaster is making its way to my state. As a US citizen, yes I am appalled that BP is getting away with all of this while my country seems to sit idly by and slap them on the wrist. And most of all as a inhabitant of this planet, yes I am appalled that this travesty could have been prevented paying a little bit more of a premium price during the initial building phases.

But,

These tar balls are nothing new and until we change fuel sources or need petroleum or natural gas or any of the products from these drillings, these situations will continue to repeat themselves.

I truly do admire your vehement anger at the situation though

-Sliadon

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 10:42 PM
link   
It seems like the oil is probably better on shore than in the water, as it's break-down on land wont contribute to the oxygen depletion of the water...??

I thought I read somewhere that part of the reason this sort of 'spill' is so bad is it is so far out in open water, which might contribute tot he gulf's exisiting Dead Zones.

I mean, i know it looks icky, and might lower the tourism industry, but doesnt this stuff biodegrade over time?

That 'reported' 140 million gallons from Ixtoc must a gone somewhere.

Some of the beaches where the Valdez hit look quite nice nowadays. Give it time. Or move and sell me your Gulf-front property for pennies on the dollar (since its use;less, you know)

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by g146541
reply to post by rangersdad

With as magically as things are happening they could be on the west coast as soon as next week.
These tar balls swam against the current and got to Texas already!
And the Texas Coast Guard has magical ninja powaars and has already cleaned up all traces of said tar, oh and the tarballs were also taken to the magical texas super secret nciscsifbideacia crime lab and test identically for the deepwater horizon crude.
Good timing on getting those test results back.
Does anyone ask about the sunken ships in that area?
Ya know the ones that are chock full of gold?
But will magically never exist now.

(Edit)
Oh yeah, I smell a rat.

Very simple look at their "ATS" membership "dates" they are all very recent. Who cares about what a slew of newbies who "DO NOT CONTRIBUTE" to the topic? Yeah, I said it ! Track me down, kiddies and deal with me.

[edit on 5-7-2010 by g146541]

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Every illegal alien that is apprehended should be handed a shovel and sent down there to clean up this mess.

They can be housed in the unused Fema trailers.

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Do you propose that each of these illegal aliens who is forced to clean BP's mess then be autmatically granted citizenship? I mean, it only sounds fair, since they will be sacrificing their health and lives for this country.

I came across this video today. I found a thread for it posted today under the title of the video on ATS, however, the thread appears to be inaccessible to comment or post:

"Man Defies BP "Laws" by Flying His Plane Over the Gulf and Shooting Video"

*edit to insert link to youtube and youtube video (I'm a tech-tard.)

[edit on 7/5/2010 by Nivcharah]

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 12:03 AM
link   
funny today I was talking to a hot(rev3.16) friend of mine who was moving to Pensacola and has been down there many times recently so I asked her if she still was, especially after all the media reports claiming (nearly) that the earth was possibly maybe fixin to suddenly burst into flames with a projection towards the sun while our souls are still trapped in our skeletons chained to the earth burnin the night away (or would that be the Day?)...and she said her other friend who dwellethouthere and militant at that say's no biggy and she is still relocating from this settlement untothoustthatoneth- anyhoo I would have expected something from CB by now if I needed to go get my staff or not-lol?

See, he is puffed up; his desires are not upright— but the righteous will live by his faith -Hab2.4

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 12:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by seabisquit

Every illegal alien that is apprehended should be handed a shovel and sent down there to clean up this mess.

They can be housed in the unused Fema trailers.

This sounds more like the rantings of someone who is upset with illegal immigrants in their country expressing their views about how poorly they view these people as human beings, than someone who is concerned with the situation at hand. This is the Deepwater Disaster forum, maybe you posted in the wrong section?

Your presumed wit is not amusing.

-Sliadon

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 03:51 AM
link   
long time lurker but this made me want to post i live in corpus christi texas and th gulf is basicly everything down here no matter where u are in the city u can get to the bayfront in twenty min or less im simply terrified as to what is going to happen when that oil hits home and it doesnt look lik anyone is preparing for it either..
peace : enemyone

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 04:01 AM
link   
woh i fouind a BP fuel tin in my shed, guess i should get in on this BP Lottery

I feel this is far from over, just wish your government would focus on fixing the problem rather than focusing on the money they will get from BP but I guess thats the American way

[edit on 6-7-2010 by Burgo]

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 05:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Nivcharah

I like this attitude.
Which non petroleum, non plastic, non rubber, non asphalt, non synthetic portion of aboriginal Earth do you come from? And what kind of wood was your computer carved out of?

'Evil Texans with their oil deposits." muttered the hypocrite as he lived his petroleum based lifestyle.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by FearNoEvil
reply to post by iceblue20-12

Originally posted by iceblue20-12
At least the oil giants based in Houston dont have to look for oil anymore,the oil has come to them!

Yah, along with all the INNOCENT folks in between.

Considering it's Texas (where I live), how many of those "innocent" folks voted for (and continue to support) "DRILL BABY DRILL?"

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by badgerprints
reply to post by Nivcharah

I like this attitude.
Which non petroleum, non plastic, non rubber, non asphalt, non synthetic portion of aboriginal Earth do you come from? And what kind of wood was your computer carved out of?

'Evil Texans with their oil deposits." muttered the hypocrite as he lived his petroleum based lifestyle.

Hey, look: it's the Nirvana Fallacy yet again!

The Nirvana fallacy is the logical error of comparing actual things with unrealistic, idealized alternatives. It can also refer to the tendency to assume that there is a perfect solution to a particular problem.
---
By creating a false dichotomy that presents one choice which is obviously advantageous—while at the same time being completely implausible—a person using the nirvana fallacy can attack any opposing idea because it is imperfect. The choice is not between real world solutions and utopia; it is, rather, a choice between one realistic possibility and another which is merely better.

"The best is the enemy of the good."
-Voltaire

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join