It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Activist: Iranian mother of two to be stoned to death

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Activist: Iranian mother of two to be stoned to death

www.cnn.com

(CNN) -- An Iranian human rights activist warns Sakineh Mohammadie Ashtiani, a mother of two, could be stoned to death at any moment under the terms of a death sentence handed down by Iranian authorities.

Only an international campaign designed to pressure the regime in Tehran can save her life, according to Mina Ahadi, head of the International Committee Against Stoning and the Death Penalty.

"Legally it's all over," Ahadi said Sunday. "It's a done deal. Sakineh can be stoned at any minute."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Even though this is 2010 Iran is still prosecuting people based on stone-aged laws and rules. Iran may be a beautiful country, but the people in charge are completely backwards. How horrible it must be to be buried up to your neck and have rocks thrown at your head until you die. I understand that this is part of the Iranian culture, but join civilization already. It is bad enough that the U.S. still uses capital punishment but at least people aren't being stoned to death and hung in the streets.

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Yes it is sickening, indeed, but what you gonna do? This is how they want it, this is how they live. The only thing to save these people is some aliens landing or something so they can stop following their religion.....

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 04:48 PM
link   
It's a gross punishment for adultery, something she did not confess until she was lashed 99 times, a confession she then retracted. In America and Iran there are religious fundamentalists just as there are people who are 'progressive'

I'm sure in urban Iran this would be frowned upon by the majority too but what can they do, their government is just as divisive or corrupt or as backwards as our own.

Iran isn't just one nation, they're of many different tribes that don't necessarily follow the same laws and customs. Whats acceptable in one is frowned upon by the other.

It's not any different from condemning a mother addicted to meth to wallow around in her own filth in America.

It's just as bad, no one is better than the other.

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by star in a jar
It's a gross punishment for adultery, something she did not confess until she was lashed 99 times, a confession she then retracted. In America and Iran there are religious fundamentalists just as there are people who are 'progressive'

It's not any different from condemning a mother addicted to meth to wallow around in her own filth in America.

Oh brother Star, you have to drag into practically any topic about Iran your limited view of the US. The topic was about a woman in Iran who could possibly be stoned to death. Not about crack babies in the Bronx or whatever else happens in America.

Give it a rest.

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 05:01 PM
link   
They choose to live in the dark ages mentality as an undeveloped nation locked in the past...they have to WANT to change and THEY have to change it THEMSELVES.

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by star in a jar

I'm sure in urban Iran this would be frowned upon by the majority too but what can they do, their government is just as divisive or corrupt or as backwards as our own.

Iran isn't just one nation, they're of many different tribes that don't necessarily follow the same laws and customs. Whats acceptable in one is frowned upon by the other.

Moral equivalence is a lame duck argument, Murder vs. whatever social disease you are lambasting here.

Not to say that meth is a good thing. Only that I would rather my daughter have meth as her fate, than this....if such a grim decision must be made.

Someone was just trying to argue with me that these countries are not insane.

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Let me guess: Adultry = "a man other than her husband" looked at her wrong?

Another winning moment for Religious fundamentalism.

[edit on 5-7-2010 by LadySkadi]

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

Maybe she was provocatively showing her ankle to a shoe salesman. Or maybe she sneezed and another man saw her chin. ???

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by SUICIDEHK45

maybe she was swimming in a pool in the UK which had glass windows

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Interesting.... thoughts?

Sakineh Mohammadi Ashtiani was interrogated in 2006 for the murder of her husband. In the interrogation session, Sakineh confessed to committing adultery with Nasser and Seyyed Ali, the two men responsible for her late husband’s murder.

In May 2006, branch 101 of the Criminal Court of Oskoo in the province of Eastern Azerbaijan (in northwestern Iran) sentenced Sakineh to 99 lashes for committing adultery.

After serving her sentence, she was released. Four months later, branch 6 of the Criminal Court of Azerbaijan sentenced her to death by stoning for adultery while married.Link

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

I wonder if the man she had the affair with was the one who killed her husband? Anyway she did nothing wrong. Adultery is immoral but it should not be punishable by death.

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 06:15 PM
link   

I agree. What is more interesting is that she was "supposedly" sentenced to the 99 lashes FOR adultery and served that sentence. It was decided later, by another court, to punish her to death in addition.

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi
Let me guess: Adultry = "a man other than her husband" looked at her wrong?

Another winning moment for Religious fundamentalism.

Not necessarily. Watch the movie based on a true story...

The Stoning of Soraya M.

Hopefully you've got a strong stomach... because it is one of the most horrifying films I've seen in a long LONG time. It puts these people in the proper perspective... believe me.

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 06:37 PM
link   

I see you beat me in posting this by about 20 minutes. I apologize. I will notify the mods to close my thread.

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by The Endtime Warrior

Yes it is sickening, indeed, but what you gonna do? This is how they want it

Actually, not quite. Look up the Iranian [religious] revolution that took place in the 70's. That is when the extremists took over. The PEOPLE didn't want it that way. For the most part, Iran was rather free and liberal.

Also, look into all the Iranian riots and protests of the last couple of years (and the questionable election). The people do not want this.

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 07:56 PM
link   
My question is how to help her, this kind of thing is not uncommon, and I really wish instead of the military abuses taking place, where the wrongdoing is on the west's side, instead real pathways in equalizing and upgrading other nations with no vested interest in usary, but out of strong determination for equality world wide, was taking place with underground tunnels and freedom fighters literally rescuing all people in danger. She should be tunneled out wit her family! Why don't we have those?

[edit on 5-7-2010 by Unity_99]

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Thats their affairs. Allow their people to settle their problems. MSM is just doing whatever it can to dig-up dirt on Iran to make it excusable for military action. They need public support to justify bombing the *snip* out of Iran.

OT:

Isn't horse theft in Texas still a death penalty?

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by disfugured

If it ain't... it should be. Just kidding.

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by disfugured

If it ain't... it should be. Just kidding.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join