It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ID if you use cash?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

I believe you may be right loam... as usual.

Doing some research, I found this on www.legalzoom.com... :

Is it a violation of your civil rights for a business to refuse to serve you because of the way you look, the way you smell, or the way you act? The answer is...it depends.

The Federal Civil Rights Act guarantees all people the right to "full and equal enjoyment of the goods, services, facilities, privileges, advantages, and accommodations of any place of public accommodation, without discrimination or segregation on the ground of race, color, religion, or national origin."

The right of public accommodation is also guaranteed to disabled citizens under the Americans with Disabilities Act, which precludes discrimination by businesses on the basis of disability.

It's definitely not as cut and dried as I have been led to believe. It would appear that the company's right to control access to their property is balanced with the individual's right to use their services. I knew this to be the case in service establishments, but have been told (by those who should be in a position to know) that it is much harder to invoke a right to refuse service in a retail establishment, due to violation of civil rights laws.

So far what I am seeing is that any refusal which could be shown to be de facto discriminatory based on protected classes is illegal; any refusal which can not be shown to be such is legal. Nice... it's getting to where one has to be a lawyer to buy something now-a-days.

So I will accept partial defeat in this case.

TheRedneck

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 01:58 AM
link   
reply to post by barkingdogamato

I hate to say it but according to America's patriot act that is an appropriate course of action to prevent the "terrorist" from being able to use computers and what nots for terroristic activities. We are loosing our rights and being masked by it being necessary to ensure the safety of our country. We are being stripped at airports to prevent another 9/11. I mean do you really think that they will do it through an airliner again. Come on. It is like the child getting caught stealing a dollar from the change around the house and getting caught, they get smarter. Not learning a lesson if just rebuked. You have to have a physical ramification for the action. Ours were the members of society who took over the plane before hitting the pentagon. It took almost 12 hours for our military to respond to 9/11. I know, I was there...

new topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join