It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ID if you use cash?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by The Theorist

If Apple is refusing cash, they are treading on very thin legal grounds. They are in violation of Federal statute.

Apparently not many people are willing to stand their ground and challenge them?

TheRedneck

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 05:13 PM
link   
maybe they wanted the id for the home address so they can send junk mail .
here in the uk i am for ever being asked for my post code , i refuse every time telling them i don,t want junk mail . it has worked for me .

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Wookiep

Apparently there is no federal law, although there is one being proposed.

Individual states may have laws, and stores may have certain policies.

But there is no federal law requiring ID to purchase pre paid cell phones, yet.

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

I'm going to guess that there's a regulation in the U.S. within the confines of the FCC. Don't know that for sure, TR. I'm scouring their regs now and will post here if I find anything.

edit to change how I referred to The Redneck

[edit on 5/7/10 by argentus]

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 05:28 PM
link   
The only "ID required on cash transactions" rule than I know of would be IRS form 8300 which requires merchants to have the name, social security number and address of the those making cash payments of more than $10,000.

I don't think this guys cell phone cost that much.

A few weeks ago I paid cash for a laptop at a big name brand electronics chain and they didn't ask for ID.

Perhaps the folks that work at the store mentioned by the OP just don't have a clue.

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Explanation: Uhm... 1stly They [the consumers] didn't have any debt as the transaction had not been completed!!!

And...

2ndly I'm quite sure the business didn't have a no money policy, but rather "a you must show ID with your money for certain purchases" policy!
Otherwise I could demand nuclear weapons from Viacom as long as I had the money to pay for it!!!

Personal Disclosure: Have you ever seen or heard of some store business signs that say/read "We reserve the right to refuse service. Signed The Management!"???

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThaLoccster
Like someone else noted, you do need some form of identification when purchasing prepaid cell phones.

That could have been the only reason for ID. Nothing to do with the PC, just the fact that it was part of the same purchase that required an ID. Like if he bought a computer, and a fifth of vodka (I wanna shop at that store), he'd need ID to complete the purchase, but it wouldn't be the cause of the PC, but the vodka.

He could have had rebates, or warranty information where ID, or the like was requested, but not required.

Other than the prepaid cell phone, theres no requirement for

showing ID when purchasing computers, regardless of the price.

Are we so indocrinated that we have forgotten the days when we could pay only cash w/o fear of suspicion. You know it wasn't that looongggg ago when we paid for everything in cash, why now? Have we been so brainwashed in to this credit system that we cannot pay in cash for anything anymore except our gas w/o being penalized w/paying xtra for the credit we used?

This is so screwed up that u that are suspiscious use the very credit system u hate to protect what u fear?

This is so Sad can you not see this???????????

Unless its a store policy.

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 05:57 PM
link   
I see this as just another step in getting people used to showing ID to make any purchase. It is a gradual conditioning, getting people to be submissive. Then, when we move to a cashless society with a "mark" on our right had or forehead, we won't see it as "strange".

The conditioning is much like the frog-in-boiling-water analogy. The story goes, if you drop a frog in boiling water, he'll immediately jump out. However, if you put him in cold water then turn the stove on, he will eventually boil to death because it is so gradual it goes unnoticed. (I realize the frog thing is not necessarily true, but it serves the purpose).

That's what they are doing in all aspects of society. From the president spitting out another executive order to healthcare being shoved down our throats even though the majority of Americans didn't want it. Our "representatives" no longer represent us. They ACT like they do but in reality, they are all on the same team with the goal of herding us to the slaughter.

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by OmegaLogos

They were legally purchasing form a store open to the public. It is also illegal for a merchant to refuse to sell to someone (outside of some specific regulations, such as you touched upon... booze to a drunk, uranium to those not authorized to purchase it, firearms the same way, etc.). In the eyes of the law, the customer was legally attempting to purchase a product when he brought it to checkout, and therefore had incurred a debt that was due immediately. That debt requires that the merchant accept cash for payment.

Debt in legal terms is more than a credit application.

As for requiring ID, that they do (so far as I know) have a right to do. I was simply addressing the OP's concern that cash was not always acceptable; it is in the eyes of the law.

TheRedneck

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 05:58 PM
link   
I only pay cash for my purchases. You want ID? Tell me why and for what reason. Otherwise it is legal tender, just not really worth what it was before.

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 06:14 PM
link   
reply to post by ThaLoccster

This might also shake out to be a CALEA regulation -- not sure, still reading.

Just in case anyone is wondering, I'm looking for a U.S. regulation that addresses the OP. Why? Because you can't fight something that is etherial. You can fight a stated regulation.

The FCC is not my friend. I think they've done some good things in regard to attempting to block/mitigate "cold calling" and other intrusions into the privacy of the citizens, but for me personally (and selfishly) ANYthing that is U.S.-based and having to do with communications or entertainment is excluded from us islanders as a result of this-or-that FCC regulation. I guess we're just THAT seditious.

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 06:22 PM
link   
If there is some rule coming down that you are to be ID checked for cash purchases of a computer or a prepaid cell It is not happening in my state as of this month. I purchase them all the time for cash as I do not keep any money in banks and use them only for transactions that can not be done any other way.

I would say this is a store policy and is being used for the typical nosy store profiling for future purchases. The Home Depot will ask for a home phone from anyone even if they are using cash. You have to refuse them or push decline on the touch screen if you are using the automated checkout line.

It is just the world we live in that the large corporations want to profile everyone who comes near their store and looks at their wares then put them in a big database. Selling consumer information on your purchases is a big side business of these big companies. If the government is doing it this would be to give the corporations that control them the legal right to that same information.

[edit on 5-7-2010 by wayouttheredude]

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Explanation: St*r for you!

What you say is completely true! The consumers were acting in good faith IMO and so was the store and that process is legally covered. But when some contractual details previously unknown to the consumer were revealed in the process of this particular transaction the deal went south so to speak [i.e. bust!].

They weren't denied [they walked away!] and the transaction only required them to show legal ID for those items that required it and as I have shown, and you concurred with, certain items DO require more than just the money to purchase.

Personal Disclosure: Thanks for clearing up my myopia!

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 06:53 PM
link   
This is most weird because for these reasons I keep a green dot visa.
I guess i just don't trust the banks.
I also bought 2 laptops in cash.
Never showed ID.

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 06:53 PM
link   
At the store I work for, we ID if the person uses a credit/debit card for a purchase over $50. Some places will ID for less then that, and others won't.

In this case I'm wondering what the couple looked like, or what they acted like. I think if they just left after that, then something was up. All he had to do was show his ID.

That electronic store may have had problems with fake bills in the past, or something along those lines.

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Anyone can walk into a cyber cafe, order a couple of lattes and have anonymous communications on the net.

The only thing I could think of that requires ID at checkout might be warranty related. Many electronic products are only warranted to the original purchaser and the manufacturers may be collecting information at the POS.

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wookiep
reply to post by ThaLoccster

I'm not sure what state you're in, but here in Colorado I sold pre-paid cell phones for 3 years and never once was ID required, regardless of the payment method. The only restriction when buying pre-paid phones is that no more than 2 a day can be purchased by one person.

I know someone that bought a prepaid cell phone two years ago. They didn't have to show id for the original purchase or to buy time afterwards.

The only thing I can think is that it was over $5,000 total. Any transaction over $5,000 must be reported now.

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 07:12 PM
link   
"In this case I'm wondering what the couple looked like, or what they acted like. I think if they just left after that, then something was up."

What was probably up was that the customers felt like they were dealing with a Police Officer who had just stopped them for a traffic violation. Who in their right mind would give their money to such an intrusive retailer when there are plenty of other retailers out there who are dying for your business and do not play the Big Brother game?

"All he had to do was show his ID."

And if you lived in Nazi Germany in the '30s, all you had to do was show ID as well.

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aggie Man
This happened to me at Fry's when I tried to purchase a 4G memory stick for my camcorder with cash. I declined to show my ID, left the store and bought it at Wal*mart w/o incident.

I couldn't understand why they wanted ID for that purchase. I figured that they wanted my personal information so they could sell it to telemarketers and mailer lists.

Some places will ask for your information on tech products and purchases over $100. I know circuit city did it in case the recipt was lost. It was also suppose to help them keep up with "renters" and cut down on unnecesary returns.

You would be suprised how many people buy a memory card, use it to tape their cousins wedding, download it to their computer, and then return it.

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by XSilencedxdream

Should have included that info. He was Caucasian and she was South East Asian, Thai from the accent. Both in their late 30's and perfectly behaved. No threats or abuse after the incident just left the store. She was looked to be as upset as he was.

Thank You.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join