It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BP: Beyond Prosecution

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 03:26 PM
link   
BP: Beyond Prosecution

More proof that congess cant govern us, only billion dollar lobbiest! Revolution anyone?

motherjones.com...

Chaisson says he's "fairly shocked" that the oil industry was able to defeat the measure, but perhaps he shouldn't be. According to Louisiana's lobbying database, the state has 72 oil and gas lobbyists, 25 chemical industry lobbyists, and 43 lobbyists for chambers of commerce and business groups. There are only seven environmental lobbyists (two of whom also lobby for Chevron) and two lobbyists for fishing interests (who are currenty siding with oil interests to oppose the Obama administration's now-suspended six-month moratorium on deepwater oil and gas drilling). Between 2003 and 2008, oil and gas interests donated $2.2 million to Louisiana political parties and political candidates—more than in any Gulf state besides Texas, where many oil companies are headquartered

On May 1, less than two weeks after the Deepwater Horizon rig exploded, Louisiana Attorney General Buddy Caldwell announced that he would "ensure that BP and other liable parties take full financial responsibility" for the unfolding disaster. Yet even as Caldwell prepares to go after the oil company for billions in damages, his hands are tied. He says the case could cost as much as $100 million over several years. That's money his state, which is facing a $320 million budget deficit, not to mention the economic imact of the spill, just doesn't have.

[edit on 5-7-2010 by James Battleworthy]

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by James Battleworthy

your link is broken

Edit: that was strange. i clicked it 5 times, it wouldn't work. but then after i posted a response, it started working.

Anyway, I think it's a given that they aren't going to be held accountable for the massive damage they have brought on the world. I said that from day 1 of this disaster. It was especially obvious to me when I read we turned down 13 countries to try and help us clean up the spill. They are going to milk this for all it's worth for as long as they can, because as our government says, "you can never let a crisis go to waste."

It's really sad that the whole country isn't in the streets of D.C. demanding action. Everyone who's not in the gulf coast area are just going about their everyday lives with out a care in the world, because it doesn't effect them directly, and besides, they have work to worry about, they don't have time to protest. It's such a shame because if something of this magnitude isn't resonating anger throughout the country, then what has to happen to make people care? How big of a catastrophe do we need for people to stop going with the flow and actually make a difference? I talk to my fellow co-workers about it everyday and they just roll their eyes and give me that look like, "oh here we go again". It's really outrageous. I just told my co-workers today about the issue with BP and them destroying the wild horses way of life, and nobody even listened to me. They were too busy working to care. It just seems like nothing is ever going to change, the masses are to ignorant, and way too invested in their sad excuse of what they think a good life is. Work, eat, sleep, die. They are completely content with that system, and I don't know what it'll take to break them free of that. It really makes me sad that my attempts to do so are futile.

Keep fighting the good fight ATS, maybe we'll wake them up before it's too late, I hope.

[edit on 7/5/2010 by HistoryIsOnlyHisStory]

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by HistoryIsOnlyHisStory

i was doing some editing maybe that had something to do with it.

join