posted on Jun, 15 2004 @ 01:35 AM
Since searching google for "black bloc" would answer your question, I'm guessing you want discussion more than information. Here's some info:
I used to be a self-declared anarchist before I realized that it wasn't going anywhere, and got arrested at one demonstration and beaten over the
head with a truncheon at another. That summarizes the black bloc. They are (or were originally) spontaneous protesters who do property destruction,
civil disobedience, and "fight" cops. I'm not sure how far back they go, but in Novermber 30, 1999 at the Seattle WTO Ministerial, they emerged
(or seemed to) as a spontaneous reaction to supposedly heavy-handed policing, and did things like:
- Broke windows at Nike, Starbucks, and other corporations that they perceived as being anti-poor, anti-Third world.
- Flooded the streets to block WTO delegates from having meetings
- Chained themselves together, to buses, and to whatever to obstruct movement in the city
- Hit police with their placards, threw tear-gas cannisters back at police, edjournalists (who they accused of being lackeys for the mainstream
- Got arrested to get media attention or to brag to their friends
They aren't even a group, in the sense that there was no membership, though there would be arguments over who could consider themselves to be part of
the black bloc.
They have also violently attacked KKK meetings in the US and neo-nazi groups in Europe.
After September 11 I haven't heard very much about the Black Bloc.
I suspect that some of the anti-NWO types that frequent this board might sympathize with them, or might have been them.