It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Israel unveils new blockade rules for Gaza

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Jerusalem (CNN) -- Israel announced Monday that it will continue to restrict construction materials allowed into Gaza, but will allow other items to be brought into Gaza without specific permission.

The Israeli Security Cabinet last month voted to ease the blockade of goods into Gaza, which is ruled by Hamas. The decision followed a widely condemned incident in which Israeli soldiers stormed a humanitarian flotilla trying to break Israel's blockade of Gaza.

Israel unveiled two categories of materials that will remain under restrictions. The first category includes materials that could be used for bombs or other weapons, including certain fertilizers, ball bearings, lathes and their parts, hunting knives, machetes, and night vision goggles.

The second list includes construction materials that will only be allowed to enter Gaza for some Palestinian Authority-authorized projects.

Link to full article:
edition.cnn.com...

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by GideonHM

Already here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by SUICIDEHK45

We allow one in BAN and another for the board. It's cool.

Now this is something I can applaud. A step in the right direction. Bully for Israel.

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

Sorry, I thought the one I started was on the board too.

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by GideonHM

Is this finally a change for the better in regards to Israel's treatment of Gaza?
While reducing restrictions certainly sounds good others still believe that the changes are not enough and are still more of the same.

The United Nations welcomed Monday's announcement as a step in the right direction.

"This can only be the beginning of the long road towards reconstruction and a functioning economy in the Gaza Strip," said U.N. Special Coordinator for the Middle East Peace Process Robert Serry.

British Foreign Secretary William Hague also welcomed the move, which he said "shows that it is possible to lift the pressure on ordinary Gazans without compromising the security of ordinary Israelis." Hague's statement called for continued progress by all parties improve the situation on the ground.

Other groups were critical. Gisha, an Israel-based non-governmental organization, said the restrictions on Gaza remain too great.

edition.cnn.com...

I personally am on the fence and as long as there are hostilities on both sides, no real lasting peace will hold. I just hope Gazans can get the medical, and food supplies they need, and that this helps to reduce tensions between both sides. Who knows?

[edit on 5-7-2010 by GideonHM]

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by GideonHM
While reducing restrictions certainly sounds good others still believe that the changes are not enough and are still more of the same.

Baby steps. This is a move in the right direction.

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

I couldn't agree with you more. With as high as tensions are (and quite possibly much higher than we actually are allowed to see) ANY sign of sacrifice in this conflict really helps to raise my hopes.

But, haven't we seen this type of behavior before in world politics and agendas only literally the next day to watch them crumble apart over the slightest upset?

I'm crossing my fingers, Gazans and Isreal need to embrace brotherhood and respect if it is to hold water, but first steps must happen.

new topics

top topics

join