It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A linguistic query

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Just a quick question i want to put out..

I didn't know where else to ask and i'm hoping someone on ATS has the answer! I'm looking for the meaning of a word/phrase. However i can't google it as i only know how it phonetically sounds, not how it is spelt or what language it is.

The word is pronounced MU-GO-SAH

Again, no idea what language sorry.. does anyone recognise the word?

A little cryptic i know, sorry, but i would really appreciate any genuine help.

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Funk bunyip

Just by sounding it out...

I hear a strong French southerner.."Louisiana"..maybe, cajun/french..

I would expect to hear that near food...

mmmm "here ya go sir" or phonetically as you spelled it the sir becomes sah or saa as does you is ya.
I find this funny, scarey that I am replyin to redneck/apaleachian american phonics....

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Perhaps if you could say something about where you met the word, in what context, it might help people narrow down the search.

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 12:07 PM
link   

It's a town on the Ivory Coast...M'Gossa. Have you heard it through the World Cup?

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Ok, i guess i'm in the right precinct for wackiness so i may as well say why i'm asking!

About 3-4 months ago i woke up chanting it over and over (i only speak english, with an australian accent). It's baffled the hell out of me ever since
..and hence i have no effing idea of the context!

[edit on 5-7-2010 by Funk bunyip]

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Kandinsky

There was definately a pronounced "U" in the MU part.. is that how M'Gossa is said?

And Doc.. you cracked me up with that reply

[edit on 5-7-2010 by Funk bunyip]

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 12:36 PM
link   
..and before anyone says it.. no i'm not claiming any predictions, tongues or alien channelings!

I just want to know why i woke up saying "mu go sah" over and over

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Could you have it a bit wrong? Are you sure of the pronunciation? I only ask cuz the first thing came to me was Mee-guk san. Basically Korean for American person.
One of the minor tidbits of knowledge the Army will get ya. They'll actually point at you on the street and point out to everyone that you are, in fact, an American. As if in my case there was any doubt...

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 01:15 PM
link   
The first thing I thought of was the word "Mucosa" or you know, Mucous. Of course, it's quite obviously a C and not a G, but if your C's are a little soft it could sound exactly the same. If it's foreign, I don't know it.

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Your story made me think of the movie The Fourth Kind in which a woman psychologist finds that several of her patients suffer from the same nightmares where they are visited by someone who speaks to them in what turns out to be sumerian.
The words Mu, Kus, and U are all found in the sumerian language with different meanings according to context, I am not sure of how they are pronounced. Something that sounds vaguely like what you described is heard in the movie but the sound is heavily distorted - don't know if you've seen it.
Here is a database containing sumerian words, you can choose to search by prefix or suffix or "included". For example I found the word Nu Kus U, but like I said before I don't know how they are pronounced.

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 04:14 PM
link   
...link to data base here: htq.minpaku.ac.jp...://www.minpaku.ac.jp/menu/database.html&HEADER=false

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 12:35 AM
link   

I only ask cuz the first thing came to me was Mee-guk san. Basically Korean for American person.

Hmm, i didn't think of Asian languages.. But nah, while the syllables are right, it doesn't sound the same when i say it. Thanks for takin a shot though

It's strange that even many months later i can remember exactly how i was saying it. Thing is i don't know if i was actually saying it out aloud or just in my head as a was sleeping alone at the time!

The first thing I thought of was the word "Mucosa" or you know, Mucous.

Heheh.. maybe it was just my subconscious telling me to wake up and blow my nose 'cos i was snoring!

Your story made me think of the movie The Fourth Kind in which a woman psychologist finds that several of her patients suffer from the same nightmares where they are visited by someone who speaks to them in what turns out to be sumerian.

Man, that would be crazy!!
..i haven't seen the movie, but i'm gonna download it now to watch lol

Here is a database containing sumerian words, you can choose to search by prefix or suffix or "included"

Awesome.. thanks! I'll have a play with it and see what i come up with

I was a bit hesitant to post this OP originally, but i'm glad i did now. Thanks for the interest and all the input guys.. and for not taking any cheap shots
..It will probably turn out to just be something like M'Gossa or a word i overheard somewhere that got stuck in my subconscious.. But it's such a bizarre feeling waking up saying a word/phrase you don't understand, it's really been bugging me for months!

..anyways, i'm off to find that movie lol

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 08:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Rogue NerD

I watched that movie.. damn.. that was disturbing, good flick tho.. i like the blair witchish "was it true or a fake?" slant to it

Also played with that link a bit. Are the Sumerian translations based on Sitchins work, or a more credible source?
Is there even a proper Sumerian translation in academia?
The word structures are definately similar and i found reference to "MU" and also to "SAR".. but they have lots of different definitions depending on the source. Nothing for "GO" tho.. perhaps it was MUKO-SAR or MU-KOSAR or MU-GOZAR (hehehe.. Ghostbusters
)

Probably none of the above and it's just a word in Hindi or something that i overheard.. eh.. *shrug*

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Have you tried to meditate on the issue??
concentrate on the essence.

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 06:29 AM
link   
Ok.. so stuff just got a little trippy.

Just for kicks i decided to go a bit further with the Sumerian angle... After visually scanning pages and pages of the Philidelphia Sumerian Dictionary i found this:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ad2ef7f5f574.jpg[/atsimg]

k.. um.. what?

The site translates it as this:

Mu - Year
Gu-za - Chair/Throne

so ah.. the year of the throne?

Enlil - Enlil (Sumerian God)
Ba-dim - Create

so ah.. The year of the throne of Enlil the Creator?

Bwahahaha.. do i believe it? NFI.. but hell it's fun to let the mind wander off on tangents sometimes huh!

Anyways, since i have now prophesized the return of Enlil this year..

..all that's left to do now is wait..

Have you tried to meditate on the issue?? concentrate on the essence.

Well according to Wikipedia Enlil was a rapist god banished to the underworld.. so i'm not really sure i wanna

top topics

join