It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Swimmers plunged into dark after council covers swimming pool windows 'to protect Muslim women's m

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 04:52 PM
link   
It happened in Montreal too but here the hasidic jews were offended of women making excercises
www.canada.com...

And some time after that they have removed it LOL

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by TruthxIsxInxThexMist

Look, there is a common ground to be found here. One-way glass. People can't see in but it still allows people to see outside. It may have cost more, but would've suited both sides.

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 05:30 PM
link   
i wouldn't spend one thin dime or shilling to satisfy ANY RELIGION as far as a swimming pool...tough crap, don't swim there if you don't like it. or swim in a burka...why do the authorities put up with stupid, yes stupid rules put out by old, senile men who believe in some type of mythical being that is suppose to control people's lives. and if any of the men even threaten them or the people that run the pool...throw the people out of the country. i don't know why england puts up with these 7th century nut cases...

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 05:33 PM
link   
All I have to say is:

This knee-jerk liberal-biased ideology going toward Muslims, etc, is going too far. What are they going to do next? Wall off the meat-isle at the grocery store with tinted windows on it in case a Muslim passes by and sees pork and gets offended?

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Theorist

Look, there is a common ground to be found here. One-way glass. People can't see in but it still allows people to see outside. It may have cost more, but would've suited both sides.

The only common ground worth considering is for the muslims with a complaint to build their own pool for their women to swim in.

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Oh goodie, more seggregative acts.

If you don't want to be seen swimming, don't go somewhere which obviously has massive windows with people passing by, and if by some inane reasoning you do end up in said place, don't impose your own lack of self confidence on other people by appealing to the misplaced liberal morality of council members who couldn't listen to a rational complaint if it bit them in the arm.

This isn't just a religious issue here, this is another case of the politically correct brigade getting their claws into another aspect of society and dragging it backwards, and because it has the cover story of being asked for by Muslims, if anyone complains the bigot card can be issued. Congratulations, whoever you are, you have the public so brainwashed they can barely think logically about these issues.

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by traditionaldrummer

That's close to what I was thinking but muslim women were not excluded from the public pool (they excluded themselves)
so the pool they build should be open to anyone that wishes to go there.

Fair's fair.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 04:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by crowdedskies
Leaving aside the question of ethnicity, I am just shocked that some people feel that they are being ogled at.

What about beaches. Are councils going to start putting up high fences around beaches. What about Lidos (open-air swimming pools). Are they going to be close them down because some people want to protect their 'modesty'.

One of the great thing about most swimming pools is that you can see the sun and sky through the glass . It gives a sense of freedom and well-being - although never a substitute for the beach.

I believe that people who are not comfortable being semi-naked in the water (see or pool) should consider a different sport.

Alternatively they could choose one of those swimming pools that have a special ladies day, where they draw the curtains.

You make a good point and i was going to say the exact same thing today.... can you imagine not being able to walk around on a beach in a bikini or shorts?

Ridiculous!!!!

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 04:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by eennoo
reply to post by Muckster

Maybe you need to read the article again because you are wrong.

They didn't just frost the windows, they used dark tint. You know that stuff they put on cars? This would definitely make the pool darker.

I think this entire situation is pathetic. The pool was designed to be special, with windows. To go swim in that pool and then complain about it's special feature is completely selfish.

Who in the right mind loves to swim in a pool so much that they would rather complain and have the entire design of the pool changed instead of just going somewhere else?

This topic screams of selfishness.

There are not many pools in the world with windows. I don't understand how someone can go to this unique place, and then demand they remove the uniqueness from it?

Why couldn't they just go somewhere else?

It's almost like going to a restaurant, not liking the food, and instead of going somewhere else they just complain and force the restaurant to change their entire menu! I would tell those people to go somewhere else, tell them to take a hike!

Actually we are both wrong... and right...

If you read the article and look at the pictures you will see that one side of the building was tinted and another side was frosted...

To be honest, my point is not to defend the decision to frost/tint the windows because that is a stupid decision.

My issue is with this being turned into the usual anti Muslim rant.

If this had been a couple of old white woman who had complained no one would be screaming for compulsory euthanasia

It’s all so blown out of proportion and the blame is so misdirected...

The council are at fault for pandering to the needs of a minority of swimmers (if this was indeed the case) so we should blame the council rather than shaking our fist at "those bloody Muslims"

We need to get some perspective... something which the daily Mail (and other tabloids) so desperately try to avoid.

But as usual, all those gullible fools, with hate in their heart, will jump on this and use it in their little arsenal of anti Muslim stories to tell people when justifying their hate...

"Have you heard what those bloody Muslims are doing now? Making us all swim in darkness they are!! Bloody Muslims"

It’s NOT the Muslims it’s the council...

People will always complain about one thing or another... White, Black, Asian, Muslim, Christian, whatever... people complain, that’s life!!

However, it seems to be only Muslim complaints that are worthy of a news story... i wonder why that is?

OIL

[edit on 6-7-2010 by Muckster]

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 05:05 AM
link   
can't wait for them to start complaining about the windows of their apartments, wonder if the gov't will insist on people living in darkened living quarters also???

the chlorine that accumulates around indoor swimming pools isn't good for ya anyways....has almost the same effect as smoking....
go to the beach instead, enjoy them while you can, after all bp's oil will be heading home soon!

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 05:11 AM
link   

Enough!

Do you think if your women went to a Muslim country that that country would change their rules? NO.

Britain, please stop doing these Muslim practices and address your own people.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 05:20 AM
link   
reply to post by The Theorist

Yes. That's what I meant when I said the town council may have chosen the wrong window covering. Probably went with the lowest bidder. lol

As to the person who said that people who go to a pool and have issues with ogling shouldn't go to a pool at all? Well the reason they choose an indoor pool might be exactly to minimize that type of situation, the kind they'd run into at an outdoor pool or on a beach, so....

And totally agree about the sensationalistic headline to incite people. Sells more papers and stirs people up. People let their buttons be pushed far too easily these days. Media manipulation and the motives for it are very interesting things.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 06:13 AM
link   
Just chill out. UK is now a muslism country, just like France.
So all of these news make sense.

Originally posted by catwhoknows

Enough!

Do you think if your women went to a Muslim country that that country would change their rules? NO.

Britain, please stop doing these Muslim practices and address your own people.

You don't understand, they are the people. They make more babies than "you", they are the future of England, even if you don't like that future.
Europe will go down the #ter.

[edit on 6-7-2010 by ickylevel]

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 06:21 AM
link   
reply to post by ickylevel

Strange how people infiltrate.

If they lose a war, they move in anyway.

And I don't care who lives in Britain.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 06:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Muckster

Even though i do agree with the 'sensationalist' headline.... i still have to say that it's not good for the relations in England.

And about your 'bloody muslims'
This reminded me of Alf Garnett! I don't know if you know who is but i could imagine him saying 'those bloody muslims them'

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 07:03 AM
link   

What is the problem here?

Are you saying Muslims are not part of the community, and that there concerns shouldn't be taken in to consideration?

Are you saying Muslims are all immigrants, that Muslims should not have the same rights as you? Are you saying Muslims are not citizens? Or that a Muslim have never been born in Western countries?

What is the point of this thread?

What a waste of time which non of us will ever gain back.

Pay for my time, I get 100/hour for fixing network/IT issues.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 07:11 AM
link   
When are people going to realize that THEY assimilate to their host country, and not the other way around?

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 08:55 AM
link   
reply to post by LittleSecret

Not really sure why you are asking me these questions... i didn't do the report for 'the daily mail'...

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by LittleSecret

What is the problem here?

Are you saying Muslims are not part of the community, and that there concerns shouldn't be taken in to consideration?

Exactly that they don't even try to integrate with the other ethnic groups, instead of trying to fit in with the beliefs and traditions of the local area they move into they expect the local people to adopt their beliefs and traditions. If you actually ask them what they consider themselves to be (even those born in this country) they will tell you that they are Muslim first, Pakistani second (even those not born there) and British last

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by solidshot

Exactly that they don't even try to integrate with the other ethnic groups, instead of trying to fit in with the beliefs and traditions of the local area they move into they expect the local people to adopt their beliefs and traditions. If you actually ask them what they consider themselves to be (even those born in this country) they will tell you that they are Muslim first, Pakistani second (even those not born there) and British last

So what?

Are they not the citizens of that country?

Do they not have the same rights as you?

If they do, then why do you cry when they use their rights?

They are part of that community, it is up to them whether they want to integrate or not, and it is up to you whether you want integrate with them or not.

They are citizens, they pay taxes, they helped build that country as much as you therefore has every right to be heard, and for their concerns to be heard.

At this point you sound like a, I can't call it racist, I don't know what to call it, is there even a term for it in English?

Ahh you figure it out.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join