It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Swimmers plunged into dark after council covers swimming pool windows 'to protect Muslim women's m

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Swimmers plunged into dark after council covers swimming pool windows 'to protect Muslim women's modesty'

www.dailym ail.co.uk

A council has sparked anger after officials blacked out windows on a glass-panelled swimming pool to protect the modesty of Muslim women.

Darlaston Leisure Centre in the West Midlands' town of Walsall, was hailed for its 'ultra-modern' design when it opened ten years ago.

But now council staff have covered 250 windows with dark-tinted film following complaints from Muslim swimmers.

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Here we go again.... yet our Councils commandeering to the Muslims.... why the hell is this being allowed to continue?

This rule that must not be seen is the most absurd rule of this day and age IMO. It's pathetic.... how far will they go? When will the Councils start to take note of what is happening here?

Here's some more:

A worker at the pool, who did not want to be named, said: 'The windows were covered up and it's probably cost a few hundred pounds.
'Several customers complained it made the pool dark and dingy but we didn't have a choice.'
The council initially refused to replace the windows with frosted glass because it was too expensive.

Today, the council defended the decision, saying they had 'listened to the concerns of users'.

Councillor Anthony Harris said: 'I'm pleased that we've been able to make these modifications because not only does it show we're listening to the views and concerns of our users but also because it enhances the privacy of swimmers.'

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...

www.dailym ail.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Sounds like they had a problem with people ogling them while they were swimming, something I as a non-Muslim have some issues with myself. Do we know for a fact it was only they who complained? Also, the town council chose the wrong kind of window covering if it plunged everyone into darkness.

[edit on 5-7-2010 by ~Lucidity]

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 12:20 PM
link   
This is just one of many cases of local authorities appeasing the Muslim immigrants to our country lately. There was a report on the London local news the other day about the increasing number of Muslim parents withdrawing their children from music classes at school claiming that it breaches their religion (it doesn't, it's just another scare story spread by the nutters) and yet although this is a breach of the law due to music being part of the educational curriculum the local authorities are taking no action against them. I wonder if they would be so lenient if these parents were from another religious/racial group?

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

Artical says it was both Muslim and Non-Muslim complaining but obviously this has been done for the Muslims in the area otherwise they could have blackened the windows a long time ago...

We swim together over here and i'm fed up with this bowing down to whatever the Muslims want...

You know, i had begun to ignore all the headlines about Muslim this and Muslim that until i saw this one headline and had to put it up here because it's just ridiculous IMO

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 12:22 PM
link   
When i read the headline, i knew it could only be England that they were talking about.

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by solidshot

Really? I never saw that one....

I really have to wonder what planet they are from and have to ask why don't they go back there? Coz this is getting ridiculous...

We have mixed together for Centuries over here and all has been good until this Islamic Faith and their beliefs came into play.

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by TruthxIsxInxThexMist

Story is here

BBC

Whilst the majority of the other immigrant groups in our country have contributed significantly. This group seems only to be trying to drag us back into the stone age and inflict fear upon the population. We really do need a government that is willing to stand up to them, ban all immigration from their countries and maybe even start deporting those that are a threat to us.

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Ah, well if both non-Muslims and Muslims complained, is there a real issue? Could this be a case of just looking for strife where there may not be any?

Also, why the huge influx of Muslims to your country? Any numbers on which countries they are primarily emigrating from and why? Clearly it's not to run from their sharia laws as they insist on perpetuating them. Could it be their countries are war-torn? Are the people you have issues with citizens of your country?

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Ah, well if both non-Muslims and Muslims complained, is there a real issue?

Yes, this has become a big issue since they are getting what they want... which is more of their rules into Society and more of their insane seperatism... seperating the Men from Women.

Could this be a case of just looking for strife where there may not be any?

Possibly but i dunno... there just seems to be too much focus on them, i don't know if it's to get our backs up (which does work) or if the Media just want us to know what is happening in our communities and if we don't stand up to them we'll end up a Country which is divided. There will be parts of Britain where we British non-muslims won't be able to mix with others. This is how it looks anyhow.

Also, why the huge influx of Muslims to your country? Any numbers on which countries they are primarily emigrating from and why?

No idea... first of all it was to do with the free living here on benefits but then it became because of the war people fleeing and wanting Asylum here and then it became that the ones who came here like 15 years ago had other intentions and had loads of kids here who are now strict Muslims!

Clearly it's not to run from their sharia laws as they insist on perpetuating them. Could it be their countries are war-torn? Are the people you have issues with citizens of your country?

Some were born here yes (see answer above) others hid here and others gained Asylum here because of our lack rules on Immigration. Well, they are at war yes but this shouldn't mean that they should try to incorporate their way of life here, they should chuck all that out the window or leave it at home IMO

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by ~Lucidity
Any numbers on which countries they are primarily emigrating from and why?

Don't have numbers but the largest group seems to be from Pakistan. Since the British empire collapsed and they were handed back their country a very large number seem to emigrate here every year. Whilst the majority of the other ethnic groups that have come to our country (Indian,Sikh, Afro Caribbean...) Have used this as an opportunity to educate their children along with setting up some very successful businesses that have contributed significantly to our economy, only a small minority of this ethnic group has done that. Whilst other ethnic groups have mixed openly with the other British people, The majority of this ethnic group do not. They set up in small parts of the towns and cities of our country then totally swamp the area over time. They also rarely marry outside of the family. Instead of marring someone outside of the family and bringing fresh blood into their family group as we would in the west, they just import a cousin from Pakistan. So they are cousins with their husbands, their parents are also cousins with each other as are their grandparents..... There was an official report some time ago that stated that this was was a part of the reason that birth defects in this country had reputedly started to spike. And then there is the issue of the hijab/burka that is becoming more widely worn in this country, An increasing number of Asian children are getting rickets every year. this has been attributed to their mothers wearing the hijab/birka whilst in pregnancy and as a part of this having no access to sunlight.

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by solidshot

Interesting post. Is rickets common in their native countries due to the hijab/birka, I wonder? Don't expect you to have the answer solidshot, I'm just wondering out loud here.

What a bizarre world we live in.

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by TheLoony

Honestly not sure as i have never bothered looking into it, but it used to be a rare occurrence in this country. But it seems to be on the increase as the islamification of our country gains pace.

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by TruthxIsxInxThexMist

Look at the title...

Swimmers plunged into dark after council covers swimming pool windows 'to protect Muslim women's modesty'

Plunged into Darkness? PLUNGED INTO DARKNESS????

So people are walking around (or swimming around) totally blind are they??

The Swimming pool doesn’t have lights then i take it???

More sensationalist garbage from the daily mail...

Point 1)

The swimming pool hasn’t been plunged into darkness... it has had a frosting placed over the windows... Similar to the frosting that you often find on many Bathroom/Toilet windows.... We all still manage to see where we are urinating don’t we??

Point 2)

It was not just Muslims who complained... There were some non-Muslims who also complained.

Point 3)

Does anyone think that the following title would sell as many papers???

Swimmers natural lighting level reduced by 10% after complaints from some members of the public

The truth may set you free.... but, in the world of journalism, it doesn’t make as much money

[edit on 5-7-2010 by Muckster]

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Muckster

Maybe you need to read the article again because you are wrong.

They didn't just frost the windows, they used dark tint. You know that stuff they put on cars? This would definitely make the pool darker.

I think this entire situation is pathetic. The pool was designed to be special, with windows. To go swim in that pool and then complain about it's special feature is completely selfish.

Who in the right mind loves to swim in a pool so much that they would rather complain and have the entire design of the pool changed instead of just going somewhere else?

This topic screams of selfishness.

There are not many pools in the world with windows. I don't understand how someone can go to this unique place, and then demand they remove the uniqueness from it?

Why couldn't they just go somewhere else?

It's almost like going to a restaurant, not liking the food, and instead of going somewhere else they just complain and force the restaurant to change their entire menu! I would tell those people to go somewhere else, tell them to take a hike!

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 04:30 PM
link   
I'm the first one to cry foul over the Islamification of this country, but I'm not sure about this one.

I think there is definately an element of sensationalist journalism about it and I can also understand some of the concerns expressed.

It's not as clear cut and black and white as some of the more outrageous examples of pandering to unreasonable Muslim requests or inane political correctness.

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Leaving aside the question of ethnicity, I am just shocked that some people feel that they are being ogled at.

What about beaches. Are councils going to start putting up high fences around beaches. What about Lidos (open-air swimming pools). Are they going to be close them down because some people want to protect their 'modesty'.

One of the great thing about most swimming pools is that you can see the sun and sky through the glass . It gives a sense of freedom and well-being - although never a substitute for the beach.

I believe that people who are not comfortable being semi-naked in the water (see or pool) should consider a different sport.

Alternatively they could choose one of those swimming pools that have a special ladies day, where they draw the curtains.

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Good Lord.

Would you Brits please accomodate these people a little faster please and dig your own graves and lay down in them already.

Its obvious you've turned in your balls a long time ago.

Oh and take the French with you....World Cup cry babies........

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Iranians are (or were at least... I'm not up to date) fighting bloody battles against those rules while "free" countries now impose them, a crazy world indeed. Turks are trying to lift many of those insane rules but I hear many people are still very judgemental and aggressive towards promiscuity. They have very different level of acceptable standards than west (nudity is still generally illegal even in west
).

But yeah I agree with other posters that this article has an agenda. But I disagree with new rules and laws imposed on British population. We Serbs went to really, um, extreme, sadly violent levels of preventing that... but you guys are going to the other side of extreme.

[edit on 5/7/2010 by SassyCat]

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan
When i read the headline, i knew it could only be England that they were talking about.

as soon as I read the headline I knew it could only have come from the Daily Mail.

The papers articles are designed to have its readers shaking their fists and shouting "bloody muslims"

Bloody Daily mail.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join