It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Telescope unveils 'treasure chest' image of the universe

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Telescope unveils 'treasure chest' image of the universe

news.nationalpost.com

A space telescope designed to peer into the enigma of the “Big Bang” has served up its first overall image of the cosmos

The picture “is an extraordinary treasure chest of new data for astronomers,”

Planck is designed to look at radiation in the microwave part of the energy spectrum.

By the end of its mission in 2012, Mr. Planck should have completed four all-sky scans, ESA said. The data release of the CMBR
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Pretty huge news if you ask me
We have our first "surface" scan image of our cosmos

Question: Shouldn't the article say cosmos instead of universe?
Question2: Isn't that a MASSIVE typo implying something much more than it is?

Nonetheless it's still a big discovery, imagine what we could find out with this information and imagine what is next to come.

I truly feel that if society wasn't so dumbed down we would have done so much more by now, but this is still a giant step.

What else do you guys find we may be able to find with this?

news.nationalpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Fanstastic, thanks for posting this.

It's really great to see nice surprises in the news from time to time, after so many nasty surprises.

"The universe is not only stranger than we imagine; but stranger than we CAN imagine."
- J. B. S. Haldane

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Thanks for this post. I love to see these images and imagine what else can be up there.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 09:15 PM
link   
I couldn't help but notice how they refer to the spacecraft as "Mr. Planck", which is pretty funny.

Here's a full mission status summary from the ESA's website which displays news and mission developments:

Planck : Mission Status Summary

The second all-sky survey actually started back in February 2010 according to their website.

-ChriS

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia

Question: Shouldn't the article say cosmos instead of universe?
Question2: Isn't that a MASSIVE typo implying something much more than it is?

I'm not sure it is a typo, that branch of science is Cosmology, presumably that's why they used the term 'Cosmos' rather than 'Universe'.

posted on Jul, 6 2010 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Either way no one knows how big the universe is. If it has a finite boundary, then what is on the other side of it? For there to be a "boundary" means there must be something on the other side of the barrier which creates the boundary.

new topics

top topics

join