It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Growing Consensus: Israel Abusing Its Status as ‘Indispensable’ US Ally

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Settlement Construction Undermining US Brokered Peace Talks

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ff7dd4e7d6a8.jpg[/atsimg]

In the United States, questioning Israel is rarely a wise political move, and even suggesting an alternative to the policy of choice for whatever government is in power there at any given time is often enough to provoke angry responses from much of the US Congress, not to mention protests in Israel.

But increasingly officials are admitting, if not altogether publicly...

...Though there are innumerable instances of this abuse, including the serious damage Israel has done to US-Turkish relations recently, the biggest issue for many in the administration appears to be President Obama’s push for Israeli-Palestinian peace talks.

The talks aren’t entirely popular with everyone in Israel’s current government, and in many cases the announcement of new settlements seems to be timed specifically to do maximum damage to the indirect peace talks brokered by the US.

This has led in at least one case to a complete abandonment of the talks, which took the US months to restart. More new settlements are being announced all the time...

When that happens, Israel will insist the Palestinians are entirely to blame, and a number of members of the US government will parrot this claim publicly.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.
Source:news.antiwar.com...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9fa8ab6518bb.jpg[/atsimg]

I hope this article is accurate and politicians are starting to buck Israeli dictates on the US government. I find it so hypocritical that we can condemn other countries for human rights abuses, while in the same breath, praise and support Israel for some of the worst human rights abuses on the planet.

If it weren't for the US, then Israel wouldn't be allowed to do what it is doing so in a way, it is our fault that it is happening, it's because of us. I have no doubt in my mind that some of our politicians and leaders know exactly how wrong our blind support of Israel actually is, though publicly speaking out about it is a career/life ender. For this reason alone, I highly doubt that the US will take a different stance. While I'm hopeful that more politicians may open their eyes to what's going on, I'm certainly not holding my breath that they will speak out on it. We all know what happens to reporters who dare speak the truth, such as Helen Thomas and her more than logical comments.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b962ffb72bef.jpg[/atsimg]

Sources:
  • news.antiwar.com...
  • news.antiwar.com...
  • news.antiwar.com...
  • news.antiwar.com...
  • news.antiwar.com...

Previous related threads:

As Israel kills and maims, outrage is directed at Helen Thomas (orchestrated by Ari Fleischer)

Israeli - Palestinian conflict by the numbers (The numbers don't lie)

--airspoon

[edit on 5-7-2010 by airspoon]

• posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 10:50 AM
    link   
    Another great topic Airspoon. Israel was always backed by the U.S., and it made them feel untouchable. Now that Israel F'ed up with the Gaza aid flotilla, they realized that they can't do whatever they choose. To try to fix this Israel is implementing a new list of items that are prohibited from entering Gaza today. The new list will allow much more "creature comforts" into Gaza.

IMO.... All of this will probably be the precursor to war, but it is already to late.

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 11:41 AM
    link   
    reply to post by SUICIDEHK45

Yeah, I started a thread on that a long time ago, titled "Israeli eases Gaza blockade on some banned food items, critics say move insignificant". Basically, they are now allowing twinkies and Doritos. Personally, I think that's more of an insult than anything helpful but then again, I'm sure it means more to them than it does to me.

--airspoon

join