It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Creation of Time???

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2004 @ 11:38 PM
link   
What are people's thoughts on the creation of time? I mean everything - creation of the planets, species, evolution of man etc. How do you think the first living organism came to be? Where did they come from, how were they created? I'm only asking for opinions here of course, as no one knows for sure, do they? Do you think earth was the first planet to have life or is that being incredibly niave?

I'm not trying to start a religious debate, but please offer your opinions no matter what they may be.

posted on Jun, 14 2004 @ 11:56 PM
link   
well to reply to the question of earth being the only planet with life on it, it either does or it doesn't either answer is a very profound thought to ponder. If we aren't alone then most of our religions are thrown out the window as christinainity, judahism and islam all say that we are god's(or allah's) chosen ones. If we're alone then we must wonder why we are so lucky as to have a vast universe to ourselves and why we are so unique.

posted on Jun, 15 2004 @ 12:14 AM
link   
If time is enseperable from space then time was created when the universe was, but that is only in our relative respect. Time is just a concept, a shadow of movement and change. Time before the universe wouldn't really be time as we knew it, unless something was there, I don't think it would really be worth our comprehension. I guess it goes back to if the tree fell and noone was around, would there be a sound?

posted on Jun, 15 2004 @ 12:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tim356
What are people's thoughts on the creation of time?

time was created the instant the big bang began.

I mean everything - creation of the planets,

i'll go the scientific route on this one... first something, such as a nearby supernova, caused the condensation of the solar nebula. then, the center of the cloud begins to heat up and form a protostar from continued gravitational collapse. the protosun then has enough mass for fusion of hydrogen to helium to begin and begins to shine. what's called a t-tauri wind occurs which blows the lighter elements to the outer solar system while the heavier elements stay near the inner solar system. what's leftover somehow managed to accrete into protoplanets over the enxt few millions of years. these then cool and form the two types of planets we se today, terrestrial and jovian.

species, evolution of man etc. How do you think the first living organism came to be? Where did they come from, how were they created?

something caused amino acids in the waters of earth to form into single celled organisms. a lightening strike is my best guess. mutations kept occurring until you ended up with mankind and everything else on earth.

Do you think earth was the first planet to have life or is that being incredibly niave?

never know... i wouldn't be surprised to find some forms of life in other parts of the solar system. not intelligent life, of course, but life none the less. life is a very tenacious thing.

posted on Jun, 15 2004 @ 12:27 AM
link   
time doesn't really exist
it's a man made concept
a measurement for our own devices
a good explanation of time would be to say it is a measurement of gravity
a fabrication to explain what we don't understand
time is relative, the time at sea level passes slower than it does at the top of a mountain.
Did that clear things up or make them more confusing?

posted on Jun, 15 2004 @ 12:31 AM
link   

something caused amino acids in the waters of earth to form into single celled organisms. a lightening strike is my best guess

How is this possible? Or is this just a theory? Would it have taken millions of years for man to evolve from these mutations?

And you don't beleive there are other forms of intelligent life out there? Howcome?

...the time at sea level passes slower than it does at the top of a mountain...

Huh? I'm sorry if I'm coming across as incredibly stupid, but I'm confused as hell.

posted on Jun, 15 2004 @ 12:35 AM
link   
Time passes slower because gravity is not as strong the further away from the surface of the earth you go. That is my understanding. And yes, it took a long time apparently for man to form, so you can go with that or aliens...

posted on Jun, 15 2004 @ 12:55 AM
link   

How is this possible? Or is this just a theory? Would it have taken millions of years for man to evolve from these mutations?

as i said before, that was "my best guess." and yes, it would have millions, if not billions, of years for man to evolve from these mutations.

And you don't beleive there are other forms of intelligent life out there? Howcome?

i was refering to in our solar system. outside of it, i think that there is. why not in our solar system? because the only other two planets in the "life zone" of the sun, venus and mars, are quite uninhabitable.

Originally posted by J0HNSmith

Huh? I'm sorry if I'm coming across as incredibly stupid, but I'm confused as hell.

the closer you are to a point source of gravity (such as a star, planet, black hole, etc...) the slower time will flow. this is because of gravity's influence over the speed of time.

posted on Jun, 15 2004 @ 01:07 AM
link   

the closer you are to a point source of gravity (such as a star, planet, black hole, etc...) the slower time will flow. this is because of gravity's influence over the speed of time.

That's incredible. Gives me something to research and read about this arvo. Thanks!

posted on Jun, 15 2004 @ 01:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by cmdrkeenkidthe closer you are to a point source of gravity (such as a star, planet, black hole, etc...) the slower time will flow. this is because of gravity's influence over the speed of time.

yes that is what I said, the top of a mountain is further away from the earths gravitational pull therefore time passes faster than at sea level. Not much of a difference but if you put a clock on both ends and wait 2 years you'll see 10-20 minuets difference.

posted on Jun, 15 2004 @ 02:08 AM
link   

That's incredible. Gives me something to research and read about this arvo. Thanks!

The phenomena is called Gravitational Time Dilation and is predicted by general relativity. That theory is pretty complicated mathematically, but if you have a highschool mathematical education, a lot of time and access to a university library you can probably teach yourself.

posted on Jun, 15 2004 @ 02:18 AM
link   
yeah its kinda like on the event horizon of a black hole. Lets say if you were to go into the black hole people who were watching you a good ways off would never see you go into the hole because of the dialation of time. At least thats what i read somewhere.

posted on Jun, 15 2004 @ 02:31 AM
link   

This is one of those Einstein relativity things that has been proved thru scientific measurment. Time (as we acknowledge it) actually moves slower as the speed a massive body accelerates through space . This has been proven with timing devices aboard satelites we have launched circling the planet .

If you assume (pun intended) thru the theory of relativity , that physical bodies do in fact do this . and you understand that the larger the radius of a circle the faster it moves on its outer perimeter (like spinning your toddler from the feet with blood rushing to the head) or a bicycle sprocket where every revolution in the front =3in the rear wheel.
In the example of the earth , A mountain peak covers more distance on the circumference due to its height than a sea level object in respect to the center of the earth in a much smaller time frame , I.E. the head of your spinning toddler moving faster than the feet you have a death grip on . The time delay is in billionths of a second in the case of the earth , and a person will only acknowledge a few seconds delay in hundreds if not thousandths of years (sorry John S) but the phenomenon is never the less measureable , and has been measured . The high mountain peaks cover more distance at their perimeter , and as a direct result take more time to do so in respescts to Mr. E and his theory of relativity .

in linear accelerators , speeds near the speed of light are achieved , but yhe reactions are limited to be observed at our time frame , therefor: the reaction may slow down in regards to time , but it will only last half as long . Confusing I know !!! read more ....and ask again .

Magic 8 ball

posted on Jun, 15 2004 @ 11:48 PM
link   
Wow, thanks guys, very interesting indeed!

top topics

join