It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Turkey closes airspace to Israel, threatens to cut diplomatic ties over Gaza raid

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 08:03 AM
link   

Turkey closes airspace to Israel, threatens to cut diplomatic ties over Gaza raid

www.foxnews.com

Turkey will sever diplomatic ties with Israel unless it apologizes over the commando raid on an aid convoy to Gaza in which nine Turks died, Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoglu was quoted as saying Monday.

"Relations will be broken" unless Israel apologizes or accepts the conclusions of an international inquiry into the May 31 attack on the aid convoy bound for Gaza, he told Monday's edition of Turkey's Hurriyet newspaper.

Turkey has until now called for an international probe into the raid
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
US Lawmakers Warn Turkey on Mideast (Israel)

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 08:03 AM
link   

Turkey will sever diplomatic ties with Israel unless it apologizes over the commando raid on an aid convoy to Gaza in which nine Turks died, Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoglu was quoted as saying Monday.

"Relations will be broken" unless Israel apologizes or accepts the conclusions of an international inquiry into the May 31 attack on the aid convoy bound for Gaza, he told Monday's edition of Turkey's Hurriyet newspaper.

Turkey has until now called for an international probe into the raid, but in a break with that position, Davutoglu did not reject the creation of Israel's own commission to investigate the raid.

"If this commission concludes that the raid was unjust and if they apologize, that will be sufficient," he said, although he insisted that Turkey wanted compensation from the Jewish state.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Turkey is taking a definitive stance on this issue, as they should be, even in spite of US threats against the moderate Islamic country. While they have previously closed airspace to individual Israeli military flights, this new ban will be a sweeping ban of all Israeli flights, possibly to include civilian aircraft as well. Good for Turkey, as they seem to be doing what's right for their citizens. If only America could take note and stick up for its citizens as Turkey seems to be doing.

I wonder how Israel will dictate the US response to the latest threat of actions by Turkey? Is the US willing to jeopardize its own relationship with Turkey to save face for Israel? I guess the better question would be, is Israel going to jeopardize America's relationship with Turkey to save face?

The US has already threatened Turkey for their protest at Israel murdering its citizens. To bad the US doesn't give the same value to the lives of its own citizens.

--airspoon

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 08:09 AM
link   
This isn't breaking news. It all happened last week at the summit when Erdogan both closed the airspace and pulled the Turkish ambassador out of Israel. And it started even a few weeks before that when Turkey both asked the UN for a strongly worded statement against Israel and was not satisfied and then asked for an inquiry/investigation on the flotilla incident. Israel shrugged it off and set up their own inquiry, which did not satisfy Turkey.

Here and here.

Turkey then, but the way, was one of two countries that did not vote for the UN sanctions on Iran.

Also, as I understand it, Israel regularly trains over Turkish airspace and has been known to violate it before, with the recent most notable incident being in 2007 when Israel bombed an alleged WMD site in Syria.

[edit on 5-7-2010 by ~Lucidity]

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 09:02 AM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

No, Turkey had closed its airspace to individual flights, not a sweeping ban on all flights. This is about Turkey's proposed sweeping ban, to include civilian flights. I suggest you read the article.

--airspoon

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 09:05 AM
link   
reply to post by airspoon

Read just like the other article to me...from your own synopsis...

...this new ban will be a sweeping ban of all Israeli flights, possibly to include civilian aircraft as well. ...

In any event, if this had been the singular "new news," it should have been worded that way.

[edit on 5-7-2010 by ~Lucidity]

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 09:47 AM
link   
The truth is that if this had happened to Israelis they would be demanding monetary compensation, sanctions and every other form of punitive retaliation it could diplomatically muster.

This is a relatively important piece of information to have out there, since so many people imagine that Turkish Bases will be used by Israel and the United States in an ‘impending’ attack on Iran.

Israel needs to be just as accountable as any other nation for its actions. Having it act as a pariah rogue entity regardless of its various assertions as to why that should be tolerated is in fact intolerable.

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by airspoon
even in spite of US threats against the moderate Islamic country.

The US is threatening Turkey over this? Do you have a link?

Who the hell is the US to threaten Turkey over anything.. Full stop. And especially when women were being shot point blank in the head by IDF commando's in international waters..

Most of the EU states would back Turkey and the EU itself would back Turkey on this.. Turkey is only a couple of years away from being a basic member of the EU..

Also, why does it matter if they are a "Moderate Islamic Country"?

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Dermo

Yes,the US is threatening Turkey over their actions regarding Israel. I posted a link in the OP but here is another link from a thread I started a while back: www.abovetopsecret.com...

--airspoon

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 10:58 AM
link   

I have not seen US threats against Turkey, and I have no reason to believe why either side is right as I have yet to see definite proof that the protesters were not violent and that the Israeli army is wrong or right is what it did.

I said it a long time ago. The entire issue is null because both sides are barbarians, and thus there is no right side.

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by airspoon
Yes,the US is threatening Turkey over their actions regarding Israel. I posted a link in the OP but here is another link from a thread I started a while back: www.abovetopsecret.com...

--airspoon

Thanks mate, didn't see that.

No offense to any US citizens here but the US government and its foreign policy can go F*** itself.

The US needs Turkey more than Turkey needs the US and that is a fact. Turkey is European an those loudmouth warmongers at the head of the US hold no sway in this part of the world.

Hearing that has really annoyed me.

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Yes the US has been talking very strongly to Turkey about these actions. I also where where Greece has basically stepped in to fill the void as rtelations with Israel are getting warmer by the minute.

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Gorman91

Not to go too far off subject but it really wouldn't matter whether the aid workers were violent or not. The intent of the Israelis that day, were crystal clear. This was not some normal boarding party, coming to inspect the cargo of a ship, rather this was an armed, heli-born commando raid at night. Such operations are designed to bring a ship down, not a simple cargo inspection. You don't launch such a raid unless you mean to take the ship down. If the aid workers were violent, then they had every right to be, as they came under attack. It really is that simple and doesn't take a rocket scientist to see.

As far as both countries being barbarians, I find that statement to be highly anti-semitic... against both the Arabs and Jews. To make such a wide generalization, is wholly unwarranted. Sure, their is some ignorance involved, as well as tyranny, murder and human rights abuses but most of that is committed by one side... Israel.

Look at it this way, if your house was broken into and your wife was being raped while your property was being carted out the back door. Would you fight back? If you had a weapon, would you try to shoot the invaders? Now, what if you did fight back, but you were charged with murder. What if the media only started to shout that you had murdered a bunch of people without putting it into context by stating why you fought back and why you had to shoot someone.

That's kind of what's happening here, only on a much bigger scale. The media is reporting murder and violence, without putting it into context or reporting on the invaders/tyrants/burglars violence. So, all people are hearing, is about the rockets and suicide bombers of Palestine. People then fail or neglect to actually look into to it to find the whole truth and so condemn the Palestinians as terrorists, just like you would be condemned as a murderer had the media only reported on you killing the intruders without putting the situation into context.

Israel isn't reacting to a terrorist group named Hamas, rather Hamas was created to confront the actions of Israel as a protection for the Palestinian people. Some may argue that Israel wouldn't hurt the Palestinians if it wasn't for Hamas and thus Hamas is bad for the Palestinians but that argument is not based on any kind of valid research. Israel was oppressing and murdering the Palestinians long before Hamas was even a thought in anyone's head. Hamas surely couldn't have been the excuse back then. Without Hamas, the Palestinian people would have no way to answer Israel's attacks, even though their "answers" are nowhere near as strong as they should be.

Also, as far as the US threatening Turkey, I suggest you follow the link provided in both the OP and the post right above yours. For further verification, do a simple google search. It's there for people who choose not to ignore it. It's there for people who choose to deny ignorance.

--airspoon

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 11:38 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 11:49 AM
link   
This is only going to further harm Turkey itself and not Israel. Whether you like it or not Israel has the backing of the EU and the US. Sure in public Israel received a slap on the wrist but behind the scenes its business as usual. The more Turkey leans towards Iran and Syria the more of an outcast it will become. They can wave goodbye to their EU membership if things carry on like this. I have friends in Turkey who tell me there is more and more hostility towards Erdogan because he is jeopardizing Turkey's relations with the EU.

Trust me when i say in a years time the whole flotilla thing will be forgotten (sadly for the lost lives) and Turkey and Israel will be OK again.

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by jonny2410

Sometimes you have to take a moral stand and do what's right, regardless of what consequences may come as a result of your stance. I applaud Turkey for what they are doing, even though they are aware of the cost of such actions.

It's like Robert E. Lee just before the so-called Civil War (though it technically wasn't a civil war at all). Bobby Lee was a very successful commissioned officer of the United States Army. Just before war broke out, He was offered the position to lead the entire United States Army against the Confederates. Lee turned down the offer. It's not because he particularly agreed with the coming war or even the politics of South, rather that he allowed his moral judgment to guide his actions.

Bobby Lee knew that the CSA didn't have a chance in hell against the USA but he took a lower commission in the Confederate States Army because he was loyal to his home state of Virginia and felt that they had the right to secede. He knew that not only would he end his career and reputation by joining the CSA, but also that it would have dire consequences to himself, his family and his neighbors. He did it anyway because he felt that it was the right thing to do. There was important issues that were much bigger than him.

It's actions such as these that separates the heroes from the villains. Sometimes you have to take the consequences that fate deals you. You can't pick the time in which you act, only the actions of your time.

--airspoon

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 12:15 PM
link   
From a purely moral point of view Turkey is right to do what they are doing. However at some stage the consequences will be realized and this will result in relations between Turkey and Israel soothing pretty quickly. I might be wrong but i just don't think Turkey will want to risk isolating itself, even though morally they are doing "the right thing" so to speak.

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 12:59 PM
link   

I only recently realized Turkey has US nukes in their territory, and I thought Turkey had the guts to do anything, but all those who said it is just a show, to get the Arabs on their side, could have been true.

You played me well Turkey, and it wasn't even a thanks giving or April foul's day.

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 01:18 PM
link   

From what I can see, it's like they rape and rob each other, every decade, on the decade. SO yes, they are both Barbarians. Go back far enough in history, and it's never different. It's either Israel attacking Palestine, or Palestine attacking Israel.

Today Israel does most of it. A few Years ago Palestine did most of it, a few years before that Israel. Back and forth, going back thousands of years.

So yea, call me an antisemitic. I stopped supporting any side there for a while now. From now on, I support anybody else controlling the region.

I don't recall the region enjoying peace other than when it is controlled by a foreign power.

There is no reason for a war other than two senile old fools fighting over a chunk of rock that building were built on.

Forgive me for not understanding, but I don't care about either side. They are violent, zealous, and evil men filled with hate. They both voted for war. They got their war. Now they can enjoy the results. Democracy works, woo freaking hoo.

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Gorman91

That is just not accurate at all. Never, did the Palestinians pick a fight or commit whole-sale murder against Israel. Palestinians have always reacted to Israeli aggression. In fact, when the Palestinians were in charge (with the ultimate charge by Great Britain), the area was extremely peaceful. Both Jews and Muslims united with each other. Jewish families would babysit Muslim children and vice versa.

In November of 1947, in the wake of WWII and Nazi Germany, the UN voted to divide Palestine and give large swaths of Palestinian land (even privately owned land) over to the Jews to make a Jewish state, even though Palestinians had nothing to do with Nazi aggression. Then, Israel became governed by an ex-terrorist group turned political party and decided that they wanted a whole Jewish state with the ultimate goal of rebuilding the Temple. The only problem was the Palestinians and the Al Aqsa Mosque. These Zionists, now in control of their own country, decided that there wasn't room for the Palestinians. After years of evicting Arab families and over-all oppression, they decided to start a war of aggression by initiating an attack on Egypt, which eventually pulled other Arab states into the war. Israel went as long as it could, while capturing as much territory as the international community would allow.

The international community basically forced Israel to allow the Palestinians to have certain territories but Israel wasn't happy with that. So, Israel continued their aggression against the Palestinians through terror, murder, oppression and evictions. Israel would send settlers into these Palestinian territories, basic destroying everything in their path.

The Palestinians have never had the upper hand and in fact, they have always just reacted to Israel aggression and oppression. It would be no different for anyone else. If this happened in your state, I guarantee that most of your neighbors would fight too. In fact, people have fought for their freedom since the beginning of time. There is nothing wrong with it.

Also, Americans should have every reason to care, since it is our money that bank-rolls this effort. Not only are we taxed to allow this this to happen, but it also makes us hated around the world. This is the reason for Islamic extremism against the US. This is why they hate us. Arguably, this is why our liberties have all been taken away from us. So, in effect we have given both our liberties and money for this Israeli aggression.

--airspoon

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 05:47 PM
link   

In order for a war to occur, two sides fight. Palestine upped the ante with rockets. Then Israel responded. That's just recent.

The fact is that there has been endless war there going all the way back to before Judaism and Islam ever existed.

List an aggression by Israel, guaranteed I can find a Palestinian aggression for it, And I'll bet you can find an Israeli aggression for that. Back and forth, all the way to the beginning of history there.

Go ahead, pick something. We can start this cycle from anywhere and go back.

And indeed, key phrase. British had ultimate control. And you damn well better bet that If anyone disrupted the peace there, the British would kill them flat. That's why there was peace. because the Brits would kill those who fought.

Rome. Rome! OH ROME! Must I go into the centuries of violence between the Jews and others and Rome's oppression to stop it? They finally did the smart thing and burned the city of Jerusalem down and spread the people out, making sure no one could ever fight for that God forsaken hell hole again!

If we keep going back in time, we see that superpowers controlled that region for one reason and one reason only. The second they let go control, destabilizing violence came from it.

Any time that someone else owns that place, peace happens. Anytime it is free, it goes to hell in a hand basket.

Let them get what they want. Their precious holy war. It does NOT concern me. because whoever wins, we continue on.

And the only reason we give Money to Israel is the same reason we give money to Egypt and Iraq. It's because the US wants unofficial colonies.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join