It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: The Son of Patriot Act Also Rises

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2004 @ 11:08 PM
link   
A bill currently making its way trough congress will strengthen laws that permit the FBI to obtain confidential records from businesses by assigning stiff penalties to anyone who discloses if such a demand was made.

The Son of Patriot Act Also Rises
"There is no reason for this legislation," said lawyer Chip Pitts, head of the Bill of Rights Defense Committee of Dallas and a former constitutional law professor. "Given the expanse of powers and secrecy already granted in the Patriot Act, and given the unclear security benefits and possible security detriments of that legislation, why do we need a further amendment of the law to grant more powers to the government?"

The bill, known as the Anti-Terrorism Intelligence Tools Improvement Act of 2003, or HR 3179, was introduced last September by Rep. James Sensenbrenner (R-Wisconsin) and was co-sponsored by Rep. Porter Goss (R-Florida), chairman of the House Intelligence Committee and a possible contender to replace departing CIA chief George Tenet.

It contains four sections that first appeared in a proposed piece of legislation dubbed Patriot Act II. That proposed law was discovered last year by the Center for Public Integrity just weeks before the invasion of Iraq. Patriot Act II, or "Son of Patriot" as critics called it, was written by the Justice Department to expand Patriot Act powers, but the department was forced to shelve the proposal after news of it created an uproar.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

posted on Jun, 14 2004 @ 11:21 PM
link   
Simple solution.... contact your senator and let him/her know he will be voted out of office if this thing passes regardless of how the individual voted.

posted on Jun, 14 2004 @ 11:26 PM
link   
i think my cat is more inclined to listen to me than my crook... ah i mean senator.

posted on Jun, 14 2004 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Your cat must be a rare breed because mine doesn't listen to a word I say :-). Well neither does my senator. I emailed him once with a really long post. I think they grabbed one key word from my message and sent me back some scripted response that had nothing to do with my email. Want to send a message to these idiots? Vote EVERYONE out this election. No exceptions.

posted on Jun, 15 2004 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Is anyone else worried about how much the government is becoming extraverted about their spying on us? Are we gonna be able to stop before we become a full blown police state?

- Was

posted on Jun, 16 2004 @ 01:05 PM
link   
This is what happens when you have a ultra conservative,religeous fanatic for attorny general. John Ascroft we should have known they day he was appointed where this administrations loyalty lies.

new topics

top topics

join