It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google plans to pay gay employees more

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Google is set to begin covering a cost that gay and lesbian employees must pay when their partners receive domestic partner health benefits, according to a report in the New York Times.

The increased pay is largely to compensate these workers for an extra tax that heterosexual married couples do not pay. The increase will be retroactive to the beginning of the year, the newspaper said.

Google is not the first large company to make up for the extra tax, the Times reported, adding that Google’s move could inspire its Silicon Valley competitors to follow suit, as they compete for the same talent.

Right now Google offers benefits to the spouses or partners of both straight and gay employees.

Under federal law, employer-provided health benefits for domestic partners are counted as taxable income, if the partner is not considered a dependent, the newspaper said, noting that the tax owed is based on the value of the partner’s coverage paid by the employer.

Citing a study, the Times said employees with domestic partners will pay about $1,069 more a year in taxes than a married employee with the same coverage. Google will essentially cover those costs, the newspaper said, putting same-sex couples on an even footing with heterosexual employees whose spouses and families receive health benefits.

Source

Well this is interesting.

I think it's a great thing for Google to be ponying up money to cover the costs that same sex couples must pay, that heteroes to do.

Thoughts ATS?

~Keeper

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 11:33 PM
link   
yep....that sounds just about right,,,,in FREAKIN CALIDAMNFORNIA...he he sorry about the Calidamnfornia bit there

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 11:38 PM
link   
I wonder what the gay community would say if Microsoft declare that they will pay higher salaries to heterosexuals than the homos......

[edit on 4-7-2010 by St-Patrick]

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 11:39 PM
link   
Would Google do it if it where the other way around and hetro's had to pay more? Dont think so.

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 11:39 PM
link   
reply to post by St-Patrick

They aren't really paying them more, they are paying them to compensate for the taxes they must pay that heteroes do not.

~Keeper

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Master Shen long
Would Google do it if it where the other way around and hetro's had to pay more? Dont think so.

Hell yes they would.

They would be forced to.

Heteroes would be screaming at the top of their lungs about discrimination and equal rights.

Kind of ironic isn't it?

~Keeper

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 11:47 PM
link   
blame the gov....

not google, who is trying to do the right thing......

if a company wants the best people...they will pay for them.

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 11:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower

They aren't really paying them more, they are paying them to compensate for the taxes they must pay that heteroes do not.

~Keeper

OMG the homos battle to have the same right as the heteros..... Please Jesus maometh and Buddha please help us.....

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 11:48 PM
link   

Hell yes they would.

They would be forced to.

Heteroes would be screaming at the top of their lungs about discrimination and equal rights.

Kind of ironic isn't it?

~Keeper

No they wouldnt.... It is only Gays and blacks who scream for equal rights. Hetro's would just carry on supping their idiot juice while watching the hypnobox.

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by St-Patrick

~Keeper

OMG the homos battle to have the same right as the heteros..... Please Jesus maometh and Buddha please help us.....

I don't really see what the problem is here?

Why is it bad that gay people want equal treatment?

~Keeper

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 11:50 PM
link   

The increased pay is largely to compensate these workers for an extra tax that heterosexual married couples do not pay. The increase will be retroactive to the beginning of the year, the newspaper said.

Citing a study, the Times said employees with domestic partners will pay about $1,069 more a year in taxes than a married employee with the same coverage. Google will essentially cover those costs, the newspaper said, putting same-sex couples on an even footing with heterosexual employees whose spouses and families receive health benefits.

I'm confused...

What about heterosexuals who are not married to their partners?

Did I misunderstand, or is this only for gay couples and not
unmarried heterosexual couples?

Not everyone believes in government approved marriage.

[edit on 4-7-2010 by illusions]

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 11:50 PM
link   

No they wouldnt.... It is only Gays and blacks who scream for equal rights. Hetro's would just carry on supping their idiot juice while watching the hypnobox.

So that makes them the bigger patriots than straight folk then eh?

~Keeper

[edit on 7/4/2010 by tothetenthpower]

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 11:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by illusions

Source

Thoughts ATS?

~Keeper

I'm confused...

And what about single moms who can't barely make it to then end of month ?

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 12:00 AM
link   

that single mom would likely have full benefits.. for her children.

that single mom's boyfriend better make the commitment and marry her.

the gay dude...would like to marry some guy but CAN'T..therefore google is making up for our government's fear and cowardice on allowing gay people to marry.

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 12:04 AM
link   
reply to post by wrathchild

I respectfully disagree.

I do not believe that all gay couples want to get married,

likewise, not all heterosexual couples want to get married.

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 12:05 AM
link   

reply to post by wrathchild

I respectfully disagree.

I do not believe that all gay couples want to get married,

likewise, not all heterosexual couples want to get married.

Agreed.

But most want the same rights under the law. Same goes with pay and benefits.

~Keeper

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 12:12 AM
link   

So that makes them the bigger patriots than straight folk then eh?

~Keeper

[edit on 7/4/2010 by tothetenthpower]

lol

2nd line

Mod Note: One Line Post – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 5-7-2010 by Gemwolf]

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 12:24 AM
link   
marriage is a scary and binding commitment to somebody...earning them them a financial respect of the government.

it's not easy being married..a legal commitment to somebody.

its easy having some chick living with you...maybe next month you could have some different woman living with you.....

what organization is willing to deal with that??????

that's why a marriage...gay or straight should be recognized...then a financial commitment by a corporation or the government can be given.

both parties would be accountable.

[edit on 5-7-2010 by wrathchild]

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 01:01 AM
link   

Hell yes they would.

They would be forced to.

Kind of ironic isn't it?

~Keeper

Um, please don't tell me you fail to realize that "gays and blacks" scream for equal rights BECAUSE THEY DON'T HAVE THEM.

If it annoys you when people who are deprived of rights complain about it, help them get equal rights. #1 - they stop complaining, #2 - you've done the right thing

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 01:59 AM
link   

Interesting point. Straight couples at least have the option of marriage where as gay couples don't though.

What about common law marriage? I'm not American so I don't know how it works down there. Do people who have issues with government recognized marriage also have a problem with common law marriage? I live in Canada and while the exact rules I believe differ from province to province but the feds will recognize people as being common law (gay or straight) if you have lived together for a year or adopted or gave birth to a child together.

[edit on 5-7-2010 by spacetowel]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join