It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Philosophy of Life, and, Philosophy of Death

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 06:34 PM
link   
I have been asking questions a lot in my posts lately and i am going to continue to present my ideas in question format.

I have been asking about your initial reaction in different circumstances relating to different thing. What it all comes down to is this.

Life,

Death,

When you look, do you see life? Can you see the life that everything brings, or can you only see death? When you spend your times focusing on negative things are you perpetuating death or life? Consider this when you consider your philosophy. Equate death to Satan, equate life to Jesus.

Life - positive, good, light, love, compassion, healing, health, birth

Death - bad, negative, darkness, hate, anger, judgement, death

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by onequestion

Thanks for the thread! Very interesting!

First of all, I don't see why you have to, or should, equate those things with Jesus and Satan.

I see life and death in a "Circle of Life" kind of sense. We die to assist other things in survival, and other things die to assist us in survival.

Death is necessary for life.

Kind regards

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Hitotsumami

I equate them for point of reference.

Try to not use your current definition of life and death in this instance. Seeing as death is a physical(dying) trait, or illusion, and life would be like light, which lives on forever.

Second line.

[edit on 4-7-2010 by onequestion]

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Ah, thanks for clearing that up!

In response, I have to say that I don't see death as any of those things you listed in the original post. This of course is just my opinion based on how I perceive reality!

Kind regards

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Try this for example;

Death - finite, not existing

Life - infinite, existing within itself

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Thanks for the response!

I will address the original question:

When you look, do you see life?

Based on what you just provided in the response, I see life everywhere. When I see something die, more than likely it will assist something else in living.

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 06:49 PM
link   
this is the serpent's lie:

that life exists only in opposition to death.

to the contrary, life is self-defining. there are other things which share this trait of self-reference such as beauty and love. i have witnessed many "ugly" things that are incredibly beautiful. and i have loved many people who were truly hateable.

but in the OP, you have contrasted life as "good", and death as "bad". by doing this, you are affirming the lie and digging yourself deeper into the hole.

in the words of sun tzu, "the truly winning army does not need to fight. it has never before considered the possibility that it might lose."

[edit on 4-7-2010 by tgidkp]

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Based on what you just provided in the response, I see life everywhere. When I see something die, more than likely it will assist something else in living.

You see life! I agree with you. Thanks for your response.

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by tgidkp

Life is self defining which is why i didn't provide a definition of life, more or less an example for one to go by when trying to understand.

There is no death so how can it be contrast by life? There is either only life, or either only death, the contrast is to provide for point of reference for a finite mind.

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 07:01 PM
link   
You equate feelings of negativity towards death, because it is of the unknown. We do not know what awaits us after death, hence why it has a lot of negativity towards it. I see death as a win win. If nothing exists, I cannot be sad, If it does then I have nothing to lose. Can you change not dying? No. So what can you do about something you can never change? Accept death will happen. I think learning how to deal with physical pain is something we should learn. As once we conquer physical pain like some monks have done and to a certain degree Spetnaz soldiers, then one will accept death in open arms ( in my opinion) Death is not painful, the dying process is. Defeat the pain of that, and death should not worry you. I am not saying you are afraid or anything, I just tend to ramble on about stuff like this.

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Maddogkull

Look at death as a dark spot in the room, then think of life as a light, now aim that light towards that dark and watch what happens.

Instead of thinking of death as a solution to a finite existence, think of it as a way of being.

Your are death.

or

You are life.

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Hmm, this wasn't directed at me, but I'd like to quickly comment!

I don't think associating death as a dark spot in the room is exactly correct. I would equate death as the electricity running to power that light.

Just my quick opinion!

Kind regards

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 07:11 PM
link   

If you take the position of life exist within itself then i don't see this as possible.

but,

If you say life is polarized by death, then i can see it.

So does life exist as life? Life lives, and death dies. So if i am life, then i don't need to die to live, i am just being life. The analogy was the closest thing i could come up with.

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Why do you think death would be dark?

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 07:12 PM
link   

I see what your saying. I agree that death is apart of life in terms of physical, or finite polarized existence.

Second line.

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Maddogkull

I say death, could be dark because darkness can't exist if there is light.

Second line.

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 07:15 PM
link   

I'm sorry, but your post is very confusing to me! I'll do my best to answer those questions in your post. If you can try to better explain, that would be very helpful.

So does life exist as life?

Indeed it does.

Life lives, and death dies.

I don't see Life living or Death dying. Those things are just the label we put on things.

So if i am life, then i don't need to die to live, i am just being life.

You're right. You don't need to die to live. But you DO need to die to help another thing live. Usually, when something dies, it helps something else live.

I hope this helps!

Kind regards

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Well, there is lots of stuff to say about this, isn't there? I'll just throw out three seperate strands for now.

1) One mental exercise I try from time to time: Imagine that you are already dead and you have been given the miraculous chance to come back and re-visit your normal, boring, daily life for one day and one day only -- today. If you can manage to do it right, even the most familar and unexciting details of your day will take on significance.

2) "Death is certain, life is not"
-Seen by me on sevaral tattoos; I don't know who the author is

3) Some people see life as an absolute good and death as an absolute evil. Others believe that there are possible experiences in life much, much worse than death, and that death is preferable to these things. I tend to fall in the latter camp. But I have noticed that people seem to believe one way or the other most of the time, and whichever way you choose colors your entire view of the universe in many ways.

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

Life - Outside of Physical

Death - Physical

posted on Jul, 4 2010 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Super good question! This discussion could go very deep you know.

I sure would like to see life but there’s a lot of death that shatters that life. Some say that it’s part of the balance, just like darkness and light, however I’m not sure if the philosophy of necessary evil , the need to bleed to know you’re alive is pro-life though! Such an incomprehensible paradox.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join