It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

6.4 earthquake just occured off the coast of Japan

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 01:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by vox2442

Originally posted by webpirate
This being a 6.4 offshore of Japan, with the potential for a tsunami and the latest in a series of moderate to strong quakes in the area I thought this event deserved it's own thread.

Potential for tsunami?

You posted this thread nearly 2 hours after the quake. ALL offshore quakes in Japan receive a Tsunami assessment within minutes. I know, I see them on TV all the time.

How do you figure that the potential existed for a tsunami, two hours after the fact, despite the fact that no tsunami warning had been issued?

It was posted approximately 30 minutes from the time the event happened. Several of those minutes were looking for additional data. The data had not even been review by a seismologist when I posted.

Do not come into my threads and spout hate without checking your facts first. There was a potential for a tsunami. The quake was offshore in about 1000 meters of water. There was still very little data when I posted this. It was an attempt to make people aware of this event.

While I might not sit in from of a seismograph to know exactly when these happen, I do get alerts from the USGS on them, and I found this quake BEFORE I even got the text message alert on it.

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 05:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by SonoftheSun
reply to post by Curious and Concerned

Hello friend,

133% of normal. Earthquakes between magnitude 5.0 and 6.9 . Earthquakes of 4.9 ( minor local quakes as you call them ) or less aren't even considered.

Here is the link :

modernsurvivalblog.com...

Oh ok, that makes more sense, thanks. So it is up 33% so far this year. I can see why, considering both the Chile quake and the Baja California quake had a large number of relatively large aftershocks associated with them. However, if the rest of the year remains relatively quiet, it could bring this year a fair bit closer to the average.

Also, one thing to consider is the accuracy of the 'averages' since 1900. I know they say "Earthquakes above magnitude 4.9 were fairly easy to detect, even a century ago", but I still think it's possible quakes below 6 or 7 were not as accurately recorded in the early 20th century. My understanding is that although these quakes may have been detected, they would only be included in the record if 3 or more stations picked it up, so it could be accurately measured and located by triangulation (sorry, can't find a source for that at this stage). If you look at the averages of the last century, compared to the last decade, there has been an increase, but gets less and less when you move up to stronger magnitudes, showing no increase at all above 8.0. This could possibly indicate an increase in detection, rather than an actual increase.

I'm no expert on this, but as far as I'm aware, neither are Modern Survival Blog (at least when it comes to statistical analysis), so they may not have taken such issues into account. Here's hoping for a 'closer to average' year for the next few months

Originally posted by SonoftheSun
The Ring of Fire is seeing an increased activity.

Here is the link :

naturaldisasters.suite101.com...

I could get on prophecies about this but I won't. This isn't the topic nor the board...

As for weather patterns, haven't you noticed that we are getting into a "Super" whatever pattern mode: Supertornadoes, Superflashfloods, SuperHurricanes, SuperStorms...Sorry, I don't think this is just me. They are getting stronger and we see more of them now than before.

But I'm happy we agreed on the fact that we have to change.

Interesting that the only place that article mentions an increase is in the title

I live at the end of the aforementioned ring, in the geologically dynamic country that is New Zealand, and I am glad to report that we have had no percievable increase here. Although due to the nature of these events, I am well aware of the risk of disaster at any time.

And to be honest, no I haven't seen an increase in severe weather, except for maybe floods due to land use changes and more runoff, but not necessarily an actual increase in the weather which cause them. I do think the media may play a role in increasing the amount we hear about severe weather, but that is not the topic of this thread so I'll refrain from going into more detail about my opinions on the topic.

Glad to hear that there was little tsunami risk for the Japanese. We've had a few alarms recently here, but thankfully no major effects. Unfortunately, the Samoans can't say the same.

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 07:07 AM
link   
reply to post by webpirate

There is a substantial lag time between when earthquakes occur and when they are posted to USGS.

You posted this thread at 8:27 am, Japan time, according to ATS. The quake was a little before seven this morning. I know, because I felt it.

The USGS gets its data regarding Japanese quakes from Japan. If there is a Tsunami warning issued, it will first be issued in Japan - and that info will then be relayed to Hawaii. If no tsunami info has been posted to the USGS site when the quake is posted, it means that none has been issued.

For the most recent info on tsunami warnings in Japan, go here:
typhoon.yahoo.co.jp...

For the most up to date earthquake info, go here:
typhoon.yahoo.co.jp...

Generally these pages are updated well under 5 minutes of a quake, both in terms of quake details and tsunami warnings.

As far as me checking my facts before I post, I get my facts on whether or not a tsunami is possible for the Japanese coastline from (a) the automatic warning system on my cellphone (b) Japanese TV and radio, and the above websites, and (c) the loudspeaker at the end of my block telling me that a tsunami warning has been issued. If I had been in any danger this morning, I guarantee I would have known about it long before you did.

As far as me "coming into your thread and spouting hate" ...

Posting about every medium sized quake that happens in Japan -like so many people here feel the need to do - is just absurd, on the same scale as me posting a thread for every tornado warning in Oklahoma. We get them often. If its above a seven, its newsworthy. If its under seven, it usually doesn't even make the evening news.

posted on Jul, 5 2010 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by webpirate

Tsunamis happen with 6.7 and above. SOrry, this will probably be forgotten. And If I'm wrong, I'll cry.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join