It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Example: It's a UFO!!! or is it?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2010 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by SeenMyShare
reply to post by Arbitrageur

Amazing
thank you! Yes, it most likely was Venus given it's location on the star map! I did not realize that it was that visible even on a semi cloudy day!

Great, glad you learned something. The visibility of Venus can depend on a number of factors. Its distance from Earth can vary greatly from about 38 million km to 261 million km. When it's relatively close to Earth, you might even be able to see it in broad daylight when the sky is cloudless, as in this photo from March 13, 1988:

Viewing Venus in Broad Daylight
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/da7bc6c5f09c.jpg[/atsimg]

The main trick is that it has to be far enough away from the sun so the sunlight doesn't obscure it. And getting into the shadow of a building that blocks sunlight might help you see it also.

The ISS can also be seen in broad daylight, here's what that can look like:

The International Space Station seen during the day.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/8f06b40864ba.gif[/atsimg]
However while you won't notice Venus moving much, you would see the ISS moving since it only takes 92 minutes to orbit the Earth, instead of something closer to 24 hours like Venus.

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 06:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

Thanks Arbitrageur for those pictures.

I have photos and video of the ISS at night, now I'm going to have to plan for daytime viewing as well

posted on Jul, 12 2010 @ 07:12 AM
link   
reply to post by SeenMyShare

SeenMyShare.....

A quick & basic hint for posting your pic's.....

If you remove the letters "ats" from the prefix & suffix of the link, you will enable the slider bars so that we can slide the pic back & forth in order to see all of it.

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

new topics

<< 1   >>

join